Thailand reports 6,519 new COVID-19 cases, 54 more deaths

webfact

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Well you better get out there locally and help because things have well and truly gone south in fact in Thailand they've gone so far south they've already past the south pole and are on the next lap!

That may seem clever to you, but there is a question as to how bad this is going to be. I am hearing rumors of a full lockdown in Bangkok in 2 days, but to be effective, people must stay at home unless they are indispensable to the community.

Flippant suggests suggestions that people spend big money now to stock up on supplies are not useful, what is needed is some insight into what available metrics would be useful in knowing when to engage in panic shopping before everyone else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

You're right, but I have my doubts that a different number of waves will change the result: Thailand will face rising cases as predicted by Thai doctors. If you want to know the future just have a look what happened in EU or US or many other contries in the world. ????

Indeed. Look to the past you see stupid governments and stupid people not wearing masks. If people here were not wearing masks right now the official figure would be 50K+ per day easy if they were testing. The real figure is probably around there now. The future is here it's just being hidden. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

That may seem clever to you, but there is a question as to how bad this is going to be. I am hearing rumors of a full lockdown in Bangkok in 2 days, but to be effective, people must stay at home unless they are indispensable to the community.

Flippant suggests suggestions that people spend big money now to stock up on supplies are not useful, what is needed is some insight into what available metrics would be useful in knowing when to engage in panic shopping before everyone else.

A "full lockdown"?  I wonder whether that will just mean another curfew between 10pm and 4am, like last time.  Other than parks, shopping malls and non-food shops, what else can be locked down that isn't already locked down?  Hopefully, it's just rumours.

25 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

A "full lockdown"?  I wonder whether that will just mean another curfew between 10pm and 4am, like last time.  Other than parks, shopping malls and non-food shops, what else can be locked down that isn't already locked down?  Hopefully, it's just rumours.

Regular Thai massage shops have been allowed to reopen in BKK in recent weeks. Now shutting them down again would really put a crimp in the old CV pandemic!  (sarcasm alert!!!)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And meanwhile, Thailand yesterday commits to buying 10 million more Sinovac doses for 6+ billion baht.... in part because its own production of locally made AZ vaccine is going to be half or so of the promised 10 million doses per month for July and August...

I wonder if the Chinese are offering a money back guarantee??? ????And Sinovac remains approved by the WHO... but not the U.S. FDA/CDC...  Hmmmm......

Just out of interest, do you happen to know if the Chinese developed Sinopharm (also approved by WHO) is approved by US FDA / CDC?

6 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

Just out of interest, do you happen to know if the Chinese developed Sinopharm (also approved by WHO) is approved by US FDA / CDC?

No!

Screenshot_1.jpg.894288482e770022b6c619e3998bc743.jpg

https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/covid-19-vaccines

But, AFAIK, the U.S. is recognizing WHO approved vaccines for international travel purposes (even though being vaccinated isn't currently a requirement for entry into the U.S.).

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Tell you what, give us an alternate explanation why testing numbers were so low 3 days ago, followed by a big jump the next day.  Do you think the epidemic was taking a rest for a day? Or that less people felt sick for one day?

my explanation is simple: the labs didn’t get to all the samples one day, but made up the difference the next day.

But not consistent with most past drops.

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Singapore omits Sinovac shots from COVID-19 vaccination tally

SINGAPORE, July 7 (Reuters) - People who received Sinovac Biotech (SVA.O) shots are excluded from Singapore's count of total vaccinations against COVID-19, officials in the city state said, citing inadequate efficacy data for the Chinese-made vaccine, especially against the contagious Delta variant.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/singapore-not-counting-sinovac-shots-covid-19-vaccination-tally-2021-07-07/

Lack of data is not the same as 'inadequate efficacy data.'

No reason to suspect that it is in any way useless.

According to real world data from Israel and the UK, the Pfizer vaccine is now reckoned to be 66% effective against symptomatic infection.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I am just trying to explain the sharp drop 3 days ago, followed by the big increase the next day. The range was too high for just random chance.

i am open to a better explanation.

010C04A7-998D-47F8-B0B4-0D899ECAAC39.png

Bosses birthday lunch. Didn’t sign off on the afternoon test results, so did it the next morning.

small daily movements mean little IMO, they can be the result of small inconsequential things. Trends give a better overall picture, 7 day rolling averages etc.

45 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I am just trying to explain the sharp drop 3 days ago, followed by the big increase the next day. The range was too high for just random chance.

i am open to a better explanation.

010C04A7-998D-47F8-B0B4-0D899ECAAC39.png

Look bottom left to top right and draw a line with your eye. What does that tell you? That's 5 wks. Basically up 4K per day from 5 wks ago to now. Next 5 wks what is on the right may well be the low bar bottom left and on the right who knows. >10k? Up 4K, 5K who can tell but one thing is for sure it will be UP. Please remember you were the one who said it's stabalised so many times you sort of lost credibility.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Look bottom left to top right and draw a line with your eye. What does that tell you? That's 5 wks. Basically up 4K per day from 5 wks ago to now. Next 5 wks what is on the right may well be the low bar bottom left and on the right who knows. >10k? Up 4K, 5K who can tell but one thing is for sure it will be UP. Please remember you were the one who said it's stabalised so many times you sort of lost credibility.

Sort of?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, anchadian said:

The Nikkei COVID-19 Recovery Index ranks more than 120 countries and regions on infection management, vaccine rollouts and social mobility at the end of each month. Thailand is ranked No. 118

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1412758923430432776

Wow, I see a lot of Asian names above Thailand. Heck, I see a lot of SE Asian names above Thailand. Even allowing for statistics not always telling the whole story, it kind of says a lot.

12 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Report from a forensic doctor who carries out autopsies reveals the real covid death numbers are much higher.

On July 6, Dr. Smith Srison, Forensic Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital Mahidol University posted a message on Facebook about the situation of the Covid- 19 epidemic in Thailand, that may be more severe than the numbers released by the government. From the autopsy of the deceased in just one day, four people were found to be infected with covid. 

This happens each day, they come mainly from the slum communities and die at home.

The conclusion is to say the situation is very serious. The patients and deaths seen here are definitely not real numbers. There are much more than that There are a lot of people who don't swab to check (now in Rama, if they come to swab, I see queues to sit and wait since 10 PM to check in the morning). As for the dead, there are more people. Because there are many cases that do not have a swab, some forensic doctors can't swab all of them.

https://twitter.com/Thai_Talk/status/1412573698733740035

https://www.matichon.co.th/local/quality-life/news_2815538

I agree. Im sure they haven't included two cases in our little village in Sakon Nakhon.  The village is freaking out. 

Hygiene isn't really recognized here in these Issan backwater villages unfortunately.

• Like 1

Presumably something has been lost in translation?  What does this mean?

"Gen. Nattaphon added that I want the media to understand what the word lockdown means. If it's like April 2020, it's a real lockdown. because it includes curfew But after that it's not a lockdown. It's just the closure of the business and the restriction of movement, so if you use the word lockdown. At the moment that some businesses are closed. People will understand that like April 2020, the meaning will be distorted."

https://www.prachachat.net/politics/news-708314

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Here it comes..................maybe

The CCSA will consider whether to impose a lockdown in Greater Bangkok and four southern provinces next Monday as the country is battling with the surging Delta variant outbreak. The center projects 10,000+ case increase by next week.

https://twitter.com/tappanai_b/status/1412727578066972673

Point out that if the number of infections increases, it may be sooner. 

https://www.prachachat.net/politics/news-708314

Trouble is, if it happens, it’s too late again. The virus has escaped into the countryside. I fear that a lockdown only in bangkok will cause suffering and achieve little, certainly not within a reasonable time frame anyway.

Oh well.

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Trouble is, if it happens, it’s too late again. The virus has escaped into the countryside. I fear that a lockdown only in bangkok will cause suffering and achieve little, certainly not within a reasonable time frame anyway.

Oh well.

I understand what you're saying completely, its already out in the Provinces although the suffering is happening now in Bangkok anyway and its only going to get worse, I think they at least need to be seen to do something to help stop a total health care collapse there.

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

At least they're giving everyone some notice, saying that it's likely to be from Monday 12 July!  Time for people to get out of town. ????

They might consider it Monday and take few days after that minimum for a 'start date'.

Point is they can make travel out of Bangkok prior to long weekend difficult.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

At least they're giving everyone some notice, saying that it's likely to be from Monday 12 July!  Time for people to get out of town. ????

Just like the last few times, it is after all how it moved with the workers to their hometowns.