Is it against condo to have an outside BBQ

25 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I understand it as the OP is having the BBQ in the grounds of the condo blocks away from any buildings.

A lot of the Condo buildings elsewhere (Singapore etc) have BBQ specific areas on the grounds. 

Nothing wrong with having a BBQ on the grounds of a Condo if the smoke is not strong and going into a load of units. 

A smart jurist committee would set up an outside area people can book and use for a BBQ, which moderates the potential for over use. 

Using a BBQ on a condo balcony ‘can’ be a recipe for problem, is somewhat antisocial and potentially dangerous when some idiot decides its ok to have a large BBQ or a Gas BBQ (Gas is banned in Condos and apartments). 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

My condo juristic and rules do allow a BBQ to be used on the balcony, but it must either be a charcoal BBQ or an Electric BBQ grill.  No gas is allowed, even in the condo unit for regular cooking, only electric inside.  I installed a regular electric glass top range and an oven when I bought my place.  Still looking for an electric BBQ/Smoker for use outside on my balcony.  Does make it hard to grill a steak without one or even burgers for that matter. 

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The OP states

"We decided to have one near the back entrance which is the farthest point away from any buildings and is rather isolated."

We decided to have one near the back entrance . How can the back entrance be far away from any building?

• Confused 2

Unfortunately you can't.

Its a fire hazard.

I'm sure you're neighbors would be annoyed havig BBQ smoke wafting through there expensive condos also.

Many condos will have common areas and sometimes a communal BBQ area where you can BBQ.

Good luck.

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Does not concern me at all as I have a penthouse, but I get your point. There is a unit somewhere below us that does use a BBQ with charcoal and it does get strong sometimes, but then I just close the balcony doors. What's more annoying is the smell of my neighbor smoking outside on his balcony and the smoke entering my unit, making me shut the doors. Charcoal smoke and food cooking is better than cigarettes in my book.

Penthouse! Sweet.

There was a tread about smoking on balconies recently I recall.

Some people could not understand how other people could be so selfish as to complain about the smoke wafting into their apartments!!!

I think I am weird.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

have it on your balcony if possible  .

That would be even worse IMHO. 

I mean they your really disturbing your neighbors like with smoking on the balcony but worse.

This guy took effort to not bother people. It still might be against regulations. 

• Thanks 1

My condo doesn't even allow you to eat in the common areas.  Understandable, as people will leave a mess.

Cooking food in the common area is probably against the rules of most condos, unless they have a designated area for it.  You can't just choose your own part of the common area and decide you'll have a cook up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YT3k72Em said:

My condo doesn't even allow you to eat in the common areas.  Understandable, as people will leave a mess.

Cooking food in the common area is probably against the rules of most condos, unless they have a designated area for it.  You can't just choose your own part of the common area and decide you'll have a cook up.

We have a large party room, fully fitted kitchen, probably get a hundred people in. You have to book it and pay for cleaners.

Only sensible way to do it.

Got me thinking. Living in a Condo, How or what do you use to light the BBQ? Me, have many palm trees and the fallen leaves are very flammable, a little dry limbs from tree. Can you buy little bundles of BBQ starter, What? 

• Confused 1