Carbs or protein for breakfast?

cyril sneer

Carbs for me. Porridge, bread or rice porridge (I know it by its Chinese name of congee). I also like Chinese steamed dumplings, but I don't often get those as I live in the country now.

The morning is my most active period of the day so I like to have a good reserve of fuel to keep me going. 

Edited by Moonlover
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

What is more important?

Trying to come up with a meal plan and breakfast choices is either joke moo (rice porridge) or moo ping (grilled pork)

I read both are bad for different reasons, what would be a better choice? 

It depends on your current age/state of health and goals/objectives. If you are 25 years old and fit, either or both are fine. If you are 65 years old...neither in any quantity are healthy at all. better off sticking to lean protein and complex carbs (oats/whole grains0

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tonray said:

It depends on your current age/state of health and goals/objectives. If you are 25 years old and fit, either or both are fine. If you are 65 years old...neither in any quantity are healthy at all. better off sticking to lean protein and complex carbs (oats/whole grains0

weight loss, improve poor health

I was having oats mixed with eggs before but the eggs were making problems

anything I could substitute eggs with? not sure chicken would taste good mixed in

8 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

anything I could substitute eggs with? not sure chicken would taste good mixed in

You can use lean meats if chicken not your style. Lean Pork (Moo Ping is full of fat), or lean beef or grilled fish being the best option. Don't have to mix them, you can eat the oats with some fruit, and have the grilled lean meat on the side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Both of your options are bad.

Protein is the most saturating, so if your goal is to lose weight you want to get as much protein as possible, and reduce carbs and fat as much as possible (not to zero, your body should also get some fat to work properly)

Carbs and fat is of course the stuff that tastes good, so you need to find a balance between these that works for you calorie as well as taste wise.

I like yogurt (I add whey protein to increase the protein content) with oat meal and fruits for breakfast.

would that be plain full fat yogurt? where sells decent whey in thailand?

3 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

would that be plain full fat yogurt? where sells decent whey in thailand?

Yes, plain yogurt because we don't want added sugar.

Personally I like Yolida yogurt, which is actually low fat, but you can take whatever yogurt you like. Fat is nothing bad, just make sure that you don't eat too many calories.

Whey definitely on Lazada or Shopee, way cheaper than any offline store.

For mixing it into my yogurt I prefer flavorless whey protein isolate, for example this one: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/matell-whey-protein-isolate-2-lb-2-908-non-soy-i343726461-s7675483146.html

You can of course also pick something with a flavor if that's what you like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

Yes, plain yogurt because we don't want added sugar.

Personally I like Yolida yogurt, which is actually low fat, but you can take whatever yogurt you like. Fat is nothing bad, just make sure that you don't eat too many calories.

Whey definitely on Lazada or Shopee, way cheaper than any offline store.

For mixing it into my yogurt I prefer flavorless whey protein isolate, for example this one: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/matell-whey-protein-isolate-2-lb-2-908-non-soy-i343726461-s7675483146.html

You can of course also pick something with a flavor if that's what you like.

thanks

how about fruits? berries can be pricey and not sure which fruits mix well (apart from banana)

7 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

thanks

how about fruits? berries can be pricey and not sure which fruits mix well (apart from banana)

Most tropical fruits have very high sugar content so try to limit their intake. But you can mix smaller amounts of pineapple, Mango, etc with apples / pears (can use Asian Pear : Salee here) which are higher in fiber and better for you. Kiwi also very good for digestion and high in vitamin C

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Or, why a consciously "scheduled" breakfast. 

I mean it's not abnormal for somebody to eat at the same time every day. But to have a hard limit of two options for said meal is beyond peculiar. If we knew why these limitations existed then perhaps the dieticians amongst us (of which I am definitely not one) would have a better chance of being able to help the OP. 

From what I have read, you should always have a little bit of carbs with your protein.  I think it helps the body process it.  I don't think you need much though.  When you get that giant mound of rice with your meal you should only have a tiny bit.  Like one or two tablespoons at most.  I usually leave most of it on my plate.  They can give the rest to the soi dogs.

Edited by shdmn

13 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

thanks

I like Apples and Banana, but you can use whatever you like.

As tonray said already, some fruits are higher in sugar and calories than others (for example Banana is relatively high), so limit their intake.

Fresh berries are relatively pricey, but you can get frozen berries in Makro for cheap, they are just kinda sour, so you probably want to add some sweetener, I prefer Xylitol as sweetener.

On 9/6/2021 at 9:39 AM, Saltire said:

Been on keto (low carb, high fat (LCHF)) 4 years now, maintained a 20 kg weight loss.

Breakfast for me most days is a fry up (using Extra Virgin Olive oil or butter). Never get bored with it, and eat one more LCHF meal around 2 PM then don't eat till breakfast next day. No rice (wife finds that odd!), bread, potatoes or noodles/pasta.

Breakfast is a combination of 2 or 3 choices from: eggs, bacon, lorne sausage, potato scone, black pudding, mushrooms, baked beans, but never all of them. A change is scrambled egg with cheese or omelete with bacon, cheese, tomato etc

Blood panel all normal, diabetes in remission.

Damn beers and Beng Beng!

why you say no potato and the next line say potato scone ? Also what is Damn beers and Beng Beng ?

Every day you need nuts, whole grains and you need lots of fibre. Why not get some out of the way with muesli. I eat the Hain muesli from Germany - very little sugar added and with sugar-free added almond, soya or walnut milk and I have chopped cantaloupe on top, which is not very sweet. Fried meat might be filling but often unhealthy and contains no fibre. Sugary stuff is bad. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, superal said:

why you say no potato and the next line say potato scone ? Also what is Damn beers and Beng Beng ?

Have a potato scone once or twice a month for variety, and beer and Beng Beng are my weaknesses.

Edited by Saltire
  • Haha 1

Carbs are longer in release of energy (put simply). White rice has a high glycemic index which means it makes a lot of sugar in the blood (again a simple explanation). That's one reason, despite eating a lot of other good stuff, diabetes is high in places like Japan.

Things like fruit are also medium to high in glycemic index and therefore 'fast-release' in the blood stream and will give a quick 'wake-up boost' to your system. Bananas being one of the top fats energy givers in human bodies (always good to toss down a couple asap after a hard workout) to lift the blood and muscle sugar levels back up after burning them.

ALL bodies require protein in the morning after sleep (the brain needs protein at this time to function well). I have always been advices (by doctors and nutritionists) to eat protein (eggs preferably) at breakfast or shortly after that time if eating first thing is hard for some to do. Yoghurt is a great 'clean' source of protein and is easily absorbed (unless you're lactose intolerant). 

If you have problems with eggs then consider a protein shake, add a bit of carbs, some porridge or muesli or some whole wheat bread/toast and some fruit too. If you like avocados then avocado on toast and add a slice of smoked salmon maybe as salmon is both a low glycemic food, has great Omega oils, and easy access 'clean' protein.

If you're over 50'ish then I was advised (again by doctors and nutritionists) to cut back on carbs as these are not as needed in older age as is protein and will be more readily (due to metabolic changes in ageing) converted into fat. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Card said:

Every day you need nuts, whole grains and you need lots of fibre. Why not get some out of the way with muesli. I eat the Hain muesli from Germany - very little sugar added and with sugar-free added almond, soya or walnut milk and I have chopped cantaloupe on top, which is not very sweet. Fried meat might be filling but often unhealthy and contains no fibre. Sugary stuff is bad. 

I have the same, local Big C sold it for 200 baht per 1kg bag.

eggs are my favorite morning breakfast along with sardines/mackerel with chopped onion, garlic and chili and a touch of tomato sauce. 

porridge oats are a slow release carb that keep you full longer. 

Fish and vegetables or salad would be a good healthy meal. 

On 9/6/2021 at 8:56 AM, cyril sneer said:

On 9/6/2021 at 8:56 AM, cyril sneer said:

Oats mixed with eggs... what??!