Anyone noticed the massive increase in cost of electricity?

Bangkok Barry

Funny you say that

I live in Muscat Oman, 2 mths ago everyone's bills double or tripled for no reason other than the government had said they reviewed subsidies and adjusted accordingly.

Needless to say there were protests and people just freaking out how much the increase was, so now the governments answer to this is they just shut down the online payment website and blocked the electricity division, so even the government offices cant say how much your bill is how any place can do this is beyond me ha ha

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

My August bill was cheap with discounts. 

Our September bill is due shortly I only know something then. 

It probably won't be much change in Sukhothai or other rural provinces. 

I suspect that the higher rate increases are coming from those that live in high usage regions.....BKK Metro. 

I don't get debit bills ... I have solar and batteries ☺️☺️☺️☺️, well except for the years of payments I need to make to break even and then make money from my awesome Solarhart and Tesla systems ???????? that is.

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 1

Based on the report and responses might need to check back more than a month on the bill, as noted discounted might have ended then there is no mentioned the units being used, once you go over a particular number of units you go up another price bracket?  that is certainly the case with my household we use a lot.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I don't get debit bills ... I have solar and batteries ☺️☺️☺️☺️, well except for the years of payments I need to make to break even and then make money form the system that is.

You're going to shorten the life of the sun by about 3 billion years....turn off all unused lights

"I doubt that any country in the world suddenly imposes an increase of that magnitude, but I guess it's just part of the PM's promise to bring happiness to the people."

Now, then you have never been in Belgium or the Netherlands, on the bill only is more than 50% Tax, can you imagine?

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So my wife compared last months bill to this and noticed that the price per unit has leapt from 2.779 per unit to 4.057. Plus VAT

Last month contained a COVID-19 reduction hence it was so low, for years our bill has always been just over 4 Baht per unit. Should get the next bill in 4/5 days so will see.

• Like 2

I live in Chiangmai so I noticed my PEA bill was double from the previous month with about the same number of unit.

Comparing both bills I noticed that there was a discount line for many mounthy but this time the discount was gone.

I guess it was discounted for a while by the gouverment due to the Situation.

yes there was a big government subsidy for the last 2 months and now it's just gone back to normal !!   Of course being rainy season and humid , one has to factor ones increased use of Aircon so bill at this time of year are bound to be a little above average .It's still VERY reasonable compared to Europe  !! 

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

It probably won't be much change in Sukhothai or other rural provinces. 

I suspect that the higher rate increases are coming from those that live in high usage regions.....BKK Metro. 

Maybe I'll know soon enough.

I had big bills that I can't explain lately and today my empty neighbor house bill came which usually is 40-50B for his watering devices of plants and this month 80B... He hasn't been here so that makes it very weird.

What I did figure out is that prices did jump regardless since end 2019 I believe, but that should not suddenly have impact today. It is the only bill I hate in TH as I am always surprised over and over again how it sometimes reaches highs or lows.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There was a discount of something like 87 baht discount last month. I'm not sure they'd give a discount on the tariff together with a second discount on the same bill.

What you see is not the discount, but some other thing. The FT line? 

The discount method is not shown on the bill at all as far as I know. I have Units utilised, normal cost, FT line, Amount after discount(a discount of more than 500 baht in my case), VAT and then the discounted amount with the VAT added.

The price you are now paying is the normal tariff; you were on COVID related discounts before. I've been getting COVID related discounts throughout the year.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

But isn't it surprising that the OP didn't complain when his electricity bill HALVED due to the discounts?

Now it's gone back to pre-discount normal pricing it's a problem?

????????????????????????

22 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Not really, we aren't a red zone so we never had a discount.

Nor are we but have received discounts over two time periods with a brief period between times of normal charges. The latest discounts seem to have been more than the original one.

But even if back to "normal" I can not consider it expensive.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fangless said:

UC=Universal Credit.  A welfare/benefit system in the UK.

The connection is that £20 was added as a COVID bonus which expires shortly and the do-gooders are calling it a cut now that it is ending when it is no such thing.

Right, gotcha, a bit like the pensioners crying that they are worse off because of the change to the triple-lock, when they are still, in fact, better off than they were before.