Thailand reports 10,630 new COVID-19 cases, 73 deaths

webfact

COV9.JPG

File photo: REUTERS

Thailand on Saturday (October 9) reported 10,630 new COVID-19 cases, 10,542 recoveries and 73 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

◼︎ 10,542 recoveries

◼︎ 10,563 new infections 

◼︎ 67 prison / prison infections

▶︎ Total infections since April 1: 1,671,204

▶︎ Total recoveries since since April 1: 1,544,906

Saturday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 1,700,067 with 17,607 deaths.

The news comes as more than 57.3 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have so far been administered in Thailand, the Public Health Ministry delivered another 500,000 doses of vaccine to Krabi to support the province-wide reopening to foreign tourists.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul, Tourism and Sports Minister Pipat Ratchakitprakan and Krabi Governor Phutthiphong Sirimat attended a meeting to follow up on the COVID-19 situation in Krabi province and the progress of vaccination, as well as to prepare the province for opening up to tourists.

Krabi is among the first provinces marked for reopening by the government, which hoped to reduce the stagnation in the national economy by reopening various areas to international tourists. In Krabi.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update09OCT).png

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Like 1

maybe less severe cases because of the vaccinations, but still numbers are going up.. 18.000 today for the third day on a row up. Surprisingly the numbers in prison suddenly only 72...Any way numbers still high in general public.. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Was speaking to my local pharmacist here in the UK yesterday.

He was telling me about a large number of health care nurses, double jabbed, who have been getting seriously ill for weeks after catching covid.

These nurses were double jabbed 9 months ago but the vaccine protection has waned.

The majority not hospitalised but very sick, off work for weeks and long covid symptoms.

Anyone who thinks this horror show is finishing anytime soon is fooling themselves.

What is a "large number" of nurses. What is that of the total percentage of healthcare workers?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

He was telling me about a large number of health care nurses, double jabbed, who have been getting seriously ill for weeks after catching covid.

These nurses were double jabbed 9 months ago but the vaccine protection has waned.

The majority not hospitalised but very sick, off work for weeks and long covid symptoms.

Anyone who thinks this horror show is finishing anytime soon is fooling themselves.

Indeed.  Covid is just another nasty disease we need to learn to deal with.  I would imagine, like with flu, annual vaccinations will be required for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, DavisH said:

What is a "large number" of nurses. What is that of the total percentage of healthcare workers?

It's the first hand experience of a local health care professional not a MORI poll.

It is well known the efficiency of the vaccines wane and over 9 months since the start of the UK vaccination campaign.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Seemingly, we have reverted back to the smoke and mirrors policy that was pretty evident during the early staged of this outbreak.

Got to get those Tourists somehow

So true!

The extremely negligent, ludicrous charade covid management policies of the last two years.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

How many more are testing at home and not reporting they are positive because they do not want to be possibly removed from their location by the medical folks. 

I am willing to bet as many are are reported. 

Is there anyone in this forum that if suspecting that he/she has covid will go get tested at a hospital? I know i wouldn't.

But good to see the official numbers going down, which means that the real numbers must be going down also.

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

The number of rapid tests is almost two thirds of PCR tested cases.  That is still showing a large number of positive Covid cases as well when you total everything up.  How many more are testing at home and not reporting they are positive because they do not want to be possibly removed from their location by the medical folks.  One also wonders how many may be from new clusters that have not been exposed yet.  Never have heard anymore on the follow-up and new testing they did in Khlong Toei a few weeks back.  Why are they still hiding things from the general public.  Sure there will be someone along to say that if cases were rampant it would be all over social media and blab blab blab, but that has never been the case here in Thailand, as very few people are strong enough to challenge this government.  We have definitely hit a ne plateau here with cases, I can only hope that as more are vaccinated the numbers decline, but then like any other virus Covid is here to stay so we will always see numbers.  A daily average like we are seeing is more than what we can expect when the majority are vaccinated.  

The steady increase in cases this last week will as we know have a lag effect on an increase in icu's and deaths. Thats the unfortunate reality, still far from over yet.

Those being treated in a real hospital:

5th Oct = 36,649

6th Oct = 38,301

7th Oct = 39,982

8th Oct = 41,057

9th Oct = 41,883

Its not clear why this is increasing aside from the simple fact its more cases entering hospitals for treatment

• Thanks 2

Incorrect date on infographic.  

The number of Covid-19 cases crossed 12.46 million across Southeast Asia, with 43,943 new cases reported on Friday (October 8). #Asean #COVID19 #TheNationThailand

https://www.nationthailand.com/international/40007265

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

A fall in the number of official new cases for the third day running and a large drop in the number of daily deaths. 

Also seeing a decline in the number of patients in a serious condition and number of people on ventilators. Positive indicators the vaccines may be taking effect. 

Updated numbers from worldometer including yesterdays figures:

Thailand currently sitting at 68th in the worldometer ranking table over the past 7 days at 10 deaths/million of population, down two places from yesterday. 4 places below the UK. 

Number of deaths have fallen 18% and new cases 5% over the same period. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/weekly-trends/#weekly_table

For some strange reason ATK +ve tests are not included in the official figure. If they were it would show there has been an upward trend for the last 2 weeks and was on course to hit 20 thousand cases a day very soon.

Thankfully the vaccination program seems to starting to have an effect and bringing down the death and ICU count

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The steady increase in cases this last week will as we know have a lag effect on an increase in icu's and deaths. Thats the unfortunate reality, still far from over yet.

Those being treated in a real hospital:

5th Oct = 36,649

6th Oct = 38,301

7th Oct = 39,982

8th Oct = 41,057

9th Oct = 41,883

Its not clear why this is increasing aside from the simple fact its more cases entering hospitals for treatment

A 14% increase in people being treated for Covid in hospitals in just four days is deeply alarming.  But entirely to be expected, given the premature relaxation of restrictions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

You don't mention that the global virus/pandemic/epidemiology gurus have been saying for months that boosters will be needed and probably every year.

You don't mention there's been news reports that some drug companies claim they're making progress to develop an annual booster pill covering both Influenza and Covid 19.

• Like 1

Nice graph of cases vs time in the 13 health districts (grouping of provinces according to location with Bangkok as a separate district). In most districts (reported) cases have declined significantly, but in district 6 (which includes a number of 'major' cities such as Chasoensao, Chonburi and Pattaya) cases remain consistently high. Bucking the trend is district 12, made up of the southern provinces, where cases have been increasing steadily as widely reported. In the lower part of the fig. it is evident that districts 6 and 12 combined make up almost half of the new cases. What is missing is a case load per capita for the various districts. Source is shown at the top of the fig. 

cases_areas.thumb.jpg.ff0d460c7ac57ba1a2d6f9270a67b5fe.jpg

Edited by cormanr7
add word
  • Thanks 1

I sence a speculate angle, here in ireland 90% vac no health worker issues unless unvaxed

With one of the highest vaxed pop in the world things seem prity normal.

Was in Lanszarote for a couple of weeks no bar restrictions and some awful Karaoke.

Wont go away but its influence will be less through more effective treatments.

Edited by tomyami

UNICEF delivers 550 oxygen concentrators to help treat #COVID19 patients. UNICEF would like to thank our partners and donors for your support, and we are determined to do everything we can to help save lives and minimize the COVID-19 impact on children and families.

https://twitter.com/UNICEF_Thailand/status/1446431588196126722

• Like 1

Hearsay, really.

It is true that Pfizer seems to wane unfortunately.

Medical staff are particularly at risk, obviously.  It's likely that Pfizer still does a good job for ordinary folk imo.