Pubs and bars to remain closed in 17 pilot areas after November 1

webfact

So stupid. What percentage of the tourists won't consider traveling here if the bars aren't open? I think a lot. 

And many will come here, just assuming there's nightlife, be sadly disappointed and never come back.

If you're going to let vaccinated foreign tourists in then give them Thailand.

6 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Its a sensible, measured approach.  

It is a ridiculous approach.  Even assuming you are correct that they will lift the restrictions December 1, do you really think that tourists will then at the last minute book flights, and hotels to arrive.  Tourists plan for weeks if not months to obtain their flights, car rentals, hotel, and plan out activities.  

Second, I still find it ludicrous that Thailand a nation with less than 50% of its population vaccinated with two doses is somehow giving a Covid Colonoscopy to entering foreigners who have tested negative for Covid prior to departure, and are fully vaccinated. 

Its akin to requiring a permanency test to women over 60.  Yes you might find someone but the odds are not very high.  

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Open a country with many schools still closed and add insult to injury by continuing to deny the livelihoods of those running small businesses, bars/pubs to earn a living.

It was announced that the 500 Baht entry fee will be used to help businesses that have suffered due to Covid-19.  But of course, "......small businesses, bars/pubs....." will be at the bottom of the list, probably just below soi dogs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

A mate of mine had his favorite ladyboy as babysitter for his boss and his family when they came to Thailand for their summer holidays. The only complaint his boss had was it was hard to get their 'nanny' to let go of the pram.

It's possible the family you observed appreciate that a 'prossy' is primarily a human being, even the Thai ones?

Then again, you're the one that brought up the question of ignorance.

She was on the game, yes humans are on the game and also exist in all countries, however in most countries you do not tour your family through the red light district.

The point being the well heeled Australian family had no idea she was on the game and where almost oblivious to what was going on on around them. As said its a very surreal experience to see and i think most people are unaware just how much prostitution goes on.

To your point what wrong with a lady boy looking after your children?

Its not who they are its what they do. Was the ladyboy in question on the game also?

Frankly if the Australian family saw her actions after they left they would have been somewhat horrified and she would not longer be looking after their children on their next holiday.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

Could be that way. It begs the question what will happen to all the real estate in say pattaya that 'was' reliant on dare I say 'the sex industry'?

Will it all end up as family restaurants, Indian tailors and Chinese take aways?

It's all going to be very interesting to say the least.

A lot of other countries have busy tourist businesses that don't rely on an in  your face sex industry.

Yes, but those other countries have not been working for decades without an "in your face sex industry". Thailand, on the otherhand, has been renowned for decades for that very thing. It has played a major part in bringing in the tourists. Unlike those other countries Thailand has not focused so much on the non-sex based attractions, other than to allow such attractions to instigate dual pricing to elp fill their coffers whilst also putting off potential tourists who don't want to be treated as a walking ATM machine just so they can look at a waterfall. At least being treated like a walking ATM machine in Soi Cowboy there's a good chance you'll get something inreturn (hopefully curable with antibiotics admittedly). If Thailand truly wants a booming tourism industry without the sex trade involved they have to accept that it will take a long time to mature and ONLY if they begin by cleaning up, not only their act but the whole country. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Flink said:

Yes, but those other countries have not been working for decades without an "in your face sex industry". Thailand, on the otherhand, has been renowned for decades for that very thing. It has played a major part in bringing in the tourists. Unlike those other countries Thailand has not focused so much on the non-sex based attractions, other than to allow such attractions to instigate dual pricing to elp fill their coffers whilst also putting off potential tourists who don't want to be treated as a walking ATM machine just so they can look at a waterfall. At least being treated like a walking ATM machine in Soi Cowboy there's a good chance you'll get something inreturn (hopefully curable with antibiotics admittedly). If Thailand truly wants a booming tourism industry without the sex trade involved they have to accept that it will take a long time to mature and ONLY if they begin by cleaning up, not only their act but the whole country. 

It is going to take a long time to change perceptions for sure.

6 hours ago, Gandtee said:

That's going to go up like a lead balloon. Places of entertainment closed??? So what is the point of this announcement? It's certainly not going to entice any tourists. The next announcement will be all tourists will have to join the monkhood for fourteen days on entry.????

Keeping bars shut will ensure unemployment for bar staff, and possible repossession of the families cars and bikes, plus keep you safe from getting dunk and kissing girls 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Considering they are not vaccinating that age group in the general public in Issan yet then theres no need. You missed that. They have not completed the over 60's yet

Your no doubt right about over 60,s but then your wrong on the crucial bit. Its that horrid local knowledge thing. Best to call a friend! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Other countries that I know of have allowed their pubs/bars/entertainment venues to open up before any tourists entered their countries, that's how you kick start things, normality.

These clowns in my opinion are destroying business in that sector to make excuses for their bigger plans as they never wanted that industry, they want to show a cleaner image of Thailand, but that will cost people jobs, businesses, all for an image that tourists want.

Your opinion is so short sighted. You need some long term vision on demographics. The Asian influx pre covid was far far greater than the Eauropean and American sex mongers whose numbers have dwindled over the years.

The Asian people are not so reliant on alcohol. They travel internationally, not to jump into bed with a stranger but for many other reasons.

Anyway, keep whinging ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Your no doubt right about over 60,s but then your wrong on the crucial bit. Its that horrid local knowledge thing. Best to call a friend! 

Yes that horrid local knowledge thing is something that counts especially when I have multiple in-laws living in Korat/Nakhon Ratchasima who are patiently waiting their turn and returned there from Phuket when their work finished because of covid. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I think it's obvious that these "announcements" are designed to encourage optimism, but are couched in certain assumptions, as such they are more like conditional scenarios with the possibility of being revoked if things go south again. I agree that the rules that remain will still discourage tourism, but I also agree they they should not rush things. In the bigger picture these "dubious" announcements show that the intent is there, a step in a longer arc which if nothing comes up to prevent it, the restrictions will end and tourists will be once again free to come. I think anyone who has been paying attention knows full well that any serious outbreak will reverse policy as has happened many times. I don't have any problem understanding the position and rationale of the government, I understand the public relations aspect of these announcements, they have a right to be cautious, and I personally have all the patience necessary to endure more of the restrictions in exchange for a safer place. The disappointingly slow rollout of vaccines was obviously a mitigating factor, which is slowly improving. but it IS improving. That is probably the most significant progress, something you can bank on. What I can't figure out is why the US is listed among the favored countries, when in fact it has been and remains dangerously high in Covid cases, there is still a shortage of intensive care beds, all because politicians are stirring up the ignorant by telling them they have the "right" to walk around maskless and to refuse vaccines. So in typical culturally violent fashion we have idiots assaulting and shooting each other over mask mandates. I kid you not, there have been hundreds of assaults, shootings, and murders over convenience stores and restaurants enforcing mask rules. Meanwhile 725,000 dead in the US from Covid, and all of those tragically unnecessary. What ever you can say about Thailand, at least the general public is not violently insane. Nope, as far as I'm concerned I don't care how silly, illogical, or misguided anyone thinks the Thai government is, I'm vaxxed, did my quarantine (BTW when I got here they had reduced quarantine to 7 days for vaxxed immigrants, so I got a few hundred dollars refunded. Is that NOT progress?) I'm here in Bangkok and so much better off than in the US in so many ways, so I will NOT complain. I happen to enjoy the deserted beaches, so beautiful and peaceful like my own private beach, and I don't miss the absent hordes of rude Chinese and other annoying tourists. 

I agree. The rapid increase in infections after the easing of restrictions in the UK is an indication of what could happen here. The difference is that a high percentage of the UK population have been vaccinated, apparently reducing the severity of the illness. Where as Thailand is behind in its vaccination efforts. I feel sorry for those that have suffered severe financial hardship and struggle to survive from day to day. Let's wait and see. It's not over till the fat lady sings.

7 hours ago, Kadilo said:

“Entertainment venues, pubs, bars and karaoke shops in these areas will have to remain closed for the time being.”

My guess would be that this will be the case for the duration of November then, depending on the data remaining positive, the next phase will be reopening bars etc in time for the main tourism to arrive for Xmas/new year period.

Its a sensible, measured approach.  

99% of tourism who plan holiday for Christmas and new year have long time booked their hotels and flights. Nearly nobody gone wait till short time before departure if bars back open and alcohol served. 

Real tourists this year high season will be close to zero. 

1 minute ago, jim3778 said:

No mention about children travelling with adults.

I am fully vaccinated and can do the 1 night in a hotel but I have a 3 year old (Thai citizen) travelling with me. Are they exempt because of age.

Yes under 12's travelling with parents are exempt.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Social media is too great a force now, and opening without any nightlife, is a misplaced, misguided, and overly puritanical sentiment. ALL tourists want some nightlife. Expect 20,000 tourists in November, 30,000 in December, and 50,000 during what used to be known as "peak season".

It feels like willful sabotage. You cannot kill tourism more effectively, if you were doing it deliberately. Therefore, the verdict is in. They are trying to reduce the industry to ashes, and rebuild it in their own image. That of saints, sages and holy Buddhists. Put all the bars, nightclubs, go-go's, and related businesses out of business entirely. Then rebuild the industry as a Disneyworld, family type attraction. Pure as winter snow. 

Of course we all know this will be a dismal failure. I expect no more than 4-5 million tourists a year, 5-10 years from now, and for that trend of diminishing arrivals to continue, for the next 50 years. News bulletin! They killed the golden goose. 

It is time to admit that the tourism industry has been sabotaged to the point where it will never recover, to any meaningful extent. Ever. Decades from now it will be limping along, and thousands of large hotels will either be closed, or they will attempt to convert them into low priced condos. Eventually many will be razed to the ground. Trillions of dollars in tourism infrastructure down the toilet. Prayuth, Phiphat will go down in history as the men who destroyed the Thai economy, and set the nation on a scorched earth path toward a position of 80th in the world, in GDP, and a dramatic decline of the standard of living, for all but him, his cronies, and the very rich. 

I would argue that Thailand's fall down the educational tables, its rise up the corruption ladder, and the increasing concentration of wealth into the hands of a tiny portion of the population - all of which have become much more pronounced over the last decade and especially under the current administration - will ensure Thailands slide for years to come.  

If there is now a government policy of suppressing the sex industry that will only exacerbate the slide in the short term at least. Can't remember where I read it and it was a couple of years ago but flights arriving into Bangkok had the highest proportion of male to female passengers of almost any major arrival airport in the world. Anyway there are some pretty big minuses to having such a large sex industry as Thailand has, which seldom get debated and probably never will since there is no admission by authorities that the industry really exists. 

6 hours ago, BE88 said:

3 different quarantines ? 7 days for the Thai 10 days for Asia peoples and 14 days for the Farangs.

Is right ?

Or 7 days for Farangs 10 days for Asia peoples and 14 days for Thais ?   Maybe ?

They should not let in unvaccinated foreigners at all. It is time to stop pandering to the stupid and the selfish.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Social media is too great a force now, and opening without any nightlife, is a misplaced, misguided, and overly puritanical sentiment. ALL tourists want some nightlife. Expect 20,000 tourists in November, 30,000 in December, and 50,000 during what used to be known as "peak season".

It feels like willful sabotage. You cannot kill tourism more effectively, if you were doing it deliberately. Therefore, the verdict is in. They are trying to reduce the industry to ashes, and rebuild it in their own image. That of saints, sages and holy Buddhists. Put all the bars, nightclubs, go-go's, and related businesses out of business entirely. Then rebuild the industry as a Disneyworld, family type attraction. Pure as winter snow. 

Of course we all know this will be a dismal failure. I expect no more than 4-5 million tourists a year, 5-10 years from now, and for that trend of diminishing arrivals to continue, for the next 50 years. News bulletin! They killed the golden goose. 

It is time to admit that the tourism industry has been sabotaged to the point where it will never recover, to any meaningful extent. Ever. Decades from now it will be limping along, and thousands of large hotels will either be closed, or they will attempt to convert them into low priced condos. Eventually many will be razed to the ground. Trillions of dollars in tourism infrastructure down the toilet. Prayuth, Phiphat will go down in history as the men who destroyed the Thai economy, and set the nation on a scorched earth path toward a position of 80th in the world, in GDP, and a dramatic decline of the standard of living, for all but him, his cronies, and the very rich. 

Don't forget what they said earlier in the year - everything's under control.

Believe it.