Loi Kratong - Something has changed big-time

connda

One of my favourite thai cultural events was the candle festival in Ubon and I would hate to see things like that go. Same as Bangkok street food.  

But what is the government actually doing to get rid of Loi Kratong and similar festivals and events.

Even if cynical they would know it brings the tourists and tourists are money.

Maybe a bit quiet this year as everyone wakes up from lockdowns and constraints. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

37 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Absolutely dead here.

In the district town the Garuda flies with the all forbidden message.

So what you expect?

Texted with two women in Udon and Pattaya: won't go.

Mood is killed.

Old City Sukhothai is packed with people and traffic is like Bkk at a stand still nearly through the village.

Fireworks from 7.30 pm until 11 pm+ every hour..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I noticed the start of this cultural murder when the powers that be removed all the sidewalk bars on Sukhumvit Bangkok. Somehow, they had magical powers that could see into my pocket and know EXACTLY how much money I had. My friends and I would drink until the sun started coming up and the bin came to how much I had in my pocket including a generous tip. Those times were FUN! As far as I know, that was a unique Bangkok feature. They removed them, then moved on to many night street vendors, and the relentless push is turning Thailand into a gray amorphous "meh." The few dozen actual tourists Thailand is getting will report their disappointment and tourism will be officially finished.

Yep, nothing going on in the world which may have affected any cultural eventss... oiy vey.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, connda said:

This year?  <silence>  Almost nothing.  Virtually no noise. Nothing happening.  No one really gearing up for celebration - just?  Lot's of quiet. 

Oh yeah! You know it´s this little thing called Covid-19 that has been going on for a while.

• Like 2

People all over the place here about 25k south of CM....One road closed down to allow access & parking = parking is full....

A little subdued in the flying lantern launching, but the water launching pace is brisk & backed up....Everybody I saw was masked + temp checks to go from area to area.... It's the first time I have seen a combo temp monitor that dispenses alcohol at the same time it displays your temp + built in counter to control entrance numbers.... Definitely a sober crowd....Vendors look like they are doing ok....

Fireworks are popping away & one cat is hiding under the bed....

IMG20211119201200.jpg

Not in Phetchaburi. Here is said that there could be kratongs be floated in the water but no stalls with food and selling and no entertainment. We went to the temple and indeed no activities except a icecream car. But then we went to the beacj in Hat Chao Samran and there was a big very big party. Thousands of people, foodstalls and music and al kind of lights everywhere, just as a few year back. We did not stop but returned  immediately. That is a place where you can get Covid and in a few days you will read that everyone who has been there should do a test. Totally inresponsible.  But as usual in Thailand the organizers will get the money and bribe the others. We did not know there was a big party, because no signs, but in silence tell the people there is a party and see...... it works... No wonder that the rules can not be relaxed. Thailand has a culture of not following te rules   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

don't worry, as soon as the silly general is gone, sanook will be back and everything will be normal again

the general will not survive this, and he knows it

everyone is preparing for the new shift, even Thaksin ????

what nonsense .....   but it did give me a laugh ,    Lol

• Like 1