Anger expected as Bangkok's governor tells pubs and bars: If you want to open then serve food

webfact

4pm.jpg

File photo

Bangkok's governor - General Aswin Kwanmuang told his city's desperate nightlife entertainment industry - closed for most of 2021 - to open as restaurants if they want to make money.

The remark smacked of the famous phrase from French history "Let them eat cake!" or perhaps "let them serve it".

He told the Thai media in statements made at a mill in Yannawa in the Thai capital that the police, military and tessakit were making sure that restaurants were complying with 11 pm alcohol restrictions after this was eased from 9 pm.

But his words to pubs, bars, karaoke and nightclubs are bound to create even more angry backlash.

"If they want to make money then they should apply for SHA accreditation and open as restaurants," he said blithly.

"But only food and drink - absolutely no dancing", he added.

He said that nightclubs should get ready and that if nothing came in the way then PM Prayuth Chan-ocha's plan to reopen pubs in January was on the cards.

ASEAN NOW notes that getting ready is something that the sector has been doing endlessly while having little or no income throughout the pandemic. 

And that something that might come in the way could be the new omicron variant.

The phrase "Let them Eat Cake!" was a translation of "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche" and was attributed to Marie Antoinette who within years lost her head in the French revolution. 

It became a phrase of warning after a princess said that is what the peasants should eat if they have no bread. Brioche is considered a luxury food.

Visa-compliant insurance plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-12-03

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Been in Pattaya for years, do not know any western owners of bars or pubs.  They all lease the bars from the owners who are Thai.  Yes many made good money up until March, 2020, but their staff of Thai hostesses and bartenders made good money as well.

Couldn't care less. The Thais find different jobs.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 9

16 minutes ago, fangless said:

Even if the "owners" are foreign they were employing locals who are the ones who are suffering now.

Please show some sympathy for them at least!

Thais find different jobs or often go back to their home towns and help families.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that nightclubs should get ready and that if nothing came in the way then PM Prayuth Chan-ocha's plan to reopen pubs in January was on the cards.

I guess they can sit tight for a few more weeks, Mid-January isn't far away for the "club set-up's" to hold -out.

I would guess those that could diversify into food already have.

6 hours ago, pattjock said:

So if you eat food when drinking alcohol you can not get or spread covid19 ?

Do they have the science to back this up or is this from the fortune teller advising the government.

Covid apparently doesn’t spread at Music or Fireworks events with people eating drinking alcohol on the beach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok's governor - General Aswin Kwanmuang told his city's desperate nightlife entertainment industry - closed for most of 2021 - to open as restaurants if they want to make money.

Got news for the "news".

Many of the low-key streetfront bars around my central BKK neighborhood have been open and serving alcohol drinks since the beginning of December -- and they're NOT restaurants and for the most part aren't serving any meaningful amounts of food or meals.

2 hours ago, marcho said:

I will have a small French fries with my beer, thankyou so much.

Is there a definition of 'portion' when it comes to French Fries?  Possibly 'Deux Frites and Beer Leo Hai Kun Krup' 

I mentioned a while back I'm supporting a local watering hole at 10k baht/month (still am) to get the owner through these trying times. I discussed the option of turning her place into a restaurant.  The physical requirements (kitchen setup) and cost of permits isn't within her reach. Goddamit, these fools in positions of power need to get a clue!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pattjock said:

So if you eat food when drinking alcohol you can not get or spread covid19 ?

I assume they mean that if people drink beer in the same way as they would at a restaurant, rather than at a bar or a nightclub, they pose less risk of spreading covid as they will not be quite as close and will not be mingling between friend groups.

Imagine the difference you would see between groups of friends sitting at separate tables and a whole room full of people lumped together dancing on a dance floor.  While it will still be more high risk than everyone staying at home, it is clearly still less of a risk than a full on bar or night club experience.

So it's really about compromise.