PM orders travellers from Omicron areas to be traced and tested

webfact

4 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The other point to be made is that it's probably a little bit pointless to be over-concentrating on African countries when at least three European countries have already stated that they had cases of omicron from before South Africa ever announced that the variant was present there.

As other countries go back and retest old samples, I reckon there's a good chance we'll find out it was already present in plenty of them as well.

Don't forget, people weren't testing for omicron before, because they didn't know it existed.

Akin to the original Covid infections. Has already been established that even as early as Oct/Nov of 2019 there were numerous infected throughout sectors of Asia, Europe and North America that hadn't been identified/recognized as that novel strain. 

OK , they should have vaccinations and PCR test before leaving and then again a test in Thailand.

IF not vaccinated , you have to do quarantaine or not?

Same as all foreigners though?

Now hunted down again? How they got into Thailand then and have to be hunted down?

Omicron is already spread to EU and USA, so more hunting then?

African tourist arrivals in Phuket found, face tests

PHUKET: Just one day after the announcement that officials were tracking down tourists who had arrived in Phuket from South Africa and Namibia in the hope of preventing the spread of the Omicron variant of COVID-19 across the island, Phuket Immigration Chief Col Thanet Sukchai today confirmed that officers had located all but one of the tourists.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/african-tourist-arrivals-in-phuket-found-face-tests-82253.php

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

‘Hunt on’.... Are we going to see a good old fashioned lynching ????

Is it me or are there some overwhelming racist undertones in the manner in which it is announced that these 783 Africans are being ‘hunted’ ????

Well, according to Martin of NDTVi Pattaya, the Africans must be up to no good or selling their big asses on Beach Road.????

I bet the Africans the article is referencing don't give two hoots how the headline reads.

Those that will be offended have never stepped foot in the Africa's but want to change every thing that contains the word black or white because it's offensive.

Oh no, have i upset the snowflakes by using those soon to be banned colour descriptions.

This world is doomed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

African tourist arrivals in Phuket found, face tests

PHUKET: Just one day after the announcement that officials were tracking down tourists who had arrived in Phuket from South Africa and Namibia in the hope of preventing the spread of the Omicron variant of COVID-19 across the island, Phuket Immigration Chief Col Thanet Sukchai today confirmed that officers had located all but one of the tourists.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/african-tourist-arrivals-in-phuket-found-face-tests-82253.php

But that only applies to the 52 or 57 or 130 people who went to Phuket and not to the rest of Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What would be problem with that in Europe/US if people from Africa needed to be located?  How could the headline be altered and retain accuracy?   

It could incredibly easily be altered and retain accuracy.

Why does it need to be altered?  What do you know that was inaccurate about the headline, were any of them not African?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

37 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

"The Hunt for Africans".  Why not just ask them to come in for a test?  Oh that's right, Thailands government thinks of foreigners as animals that must be controlled.  

But I digress.... 

Dirty Barbaric Foreigners.....

3 hours ago, Gandtee said:
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What would be problem with that in Europe/US if people from Africa needed to be located?  How could the headline be altered and retain accuracy?   

'Trying to locate' maybe? Hunting is usually reserved for animals or criminals.

"Hunt" can be used in the context of animals or criminals but it is not "reserved" for that!   

"Hunt" also means to look determinedly for something or someone but that does not mean that they are considered to be animals or criminals.

• Like 1

So, 793 not yet traced. How many days is that now? 

783 x No. of days x number of contacts each of those 793 had every day.

Each of those contacts will now had been in contact with ....how many , who have now also been in contact with......

Another lockdown Christmas on its way!

Or not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

Wow, that's an interesting development and the first I've heard of it.

can confirm (arr. 1 Dec). the hotel gave me an info sheet with the QR code for the Mor Chana app but didn't force me to download it. I did anyway but it rejected my Thai Pass id so I gave up.

• Like 2

Yes, Lou, I agree, at least the travelers from India, Russia, Europe, and other places can relax a bit.

At least they are not being hunted.  Maybe if these people being hunted, are found, they can be offered free shots of Pfizer

vaccines.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, marcusb said:

They have cabinets full of documents and information on arrivals and tourists but no way to access or analyze it.

They love paperwork. Purely symbolic. Something is printed and on paper and that means something, regardless if it's true, actually being done, is something to be referenced later, or even read at all. At every school I've taught at, I've gone through the tedious process of printing up lesson plans, though they'll vaguely resemble what winds up happening in the classroom. At some point the impressive stacks will be presented to the director. He's not going to read them.

On 12/3/2021 at 7:57 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Why does it need to be altered?  What do you know that was inaccurate about the headline, were any of them not African?

The question I was answering was not why does it need to be altered, but how could it be altered while retaining accuracy.

But since you've asked, the reason it needed to be altered is because it implied that people could have the Omicron variant simply by virtue of being African, which is patently ridiculous.

In any event, I see that the headline has already been changed to a more accurate one - "PM orders travellers from Omicron areas to be traced and tested."