Preparing to leave the car idle again for 2 years, any ideas?

Velleman

15 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I think you have the bases covered.

Maybe a good idea to open the engine hood when the car is started, rats and other animals may build a nest and start eating the wiring.

Have you considered selling the car as it will just sit there and drop in value?

Yeah, i've considered it but the car already lost 65 ~ 70% of its value since we bought it new 9 years ago.
Wife also has a hard time letting go of material things... ???? haha. Nah, once the pandemic is a bit under control then we plan to visit Thailand again for holidays once or twice a year. We prefer to have our own car than renting one.

Edited by Velleman

We store our car in the US in a shipping container....I keep a battery maintainer on it...It sat for 5 years & started up like it had sat overnight....We usually go back once a year but C19 has knocked us out of sync....

However, the 3 times we've started it after prolonged sitting it's fired right up.... Once started it goes right straight to the shop for full maintenance....I think I finally just had it replaced even though it passed all testing procedures....

When I had to leave a Toyota pick up here for long periods I left it suspended up on jack stands....I felt it was less inclined to be "used/borrowed" while in my absence....

Where our 4Runner is in the US the climate is generally mild & never, if ever freezes....

A battery minder might be a good idea to use.... Beside the battery maintenance, it also keeps the electronics dialed in....

• Like 1

If you follow the advice given by CharlieH, Seedy and Gim12    youve done right.        Most importantly, for the tyres, jack it up off the ground, even use  wooden blocks if no  jack stands.  You could even have the motor started  in that case if you left the battery in. and put it in gear  to    left  everything rotate occasionally.   Starting it for 15 minutes each month isnt going to do much, the motor wont warm up  and the  sump oil wont be circulating much in that time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/4/2021 at 10:22 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

I think you have the bases covered.

Maybe a good idea to open the engine hood when the car is started, rats and other animals may build a nest and start eating the wiring.

Have you considered selling the car as it will just sit there and drop in value?

yes why not sell and rebuy in two years i would do that

• Like 1

i would just consider the battery rubbish after two years.  batterys are not that much money.  i like the ides of someone starting it every month for some minutes.  but dont count on battery being good two years later.........two years for me .  i would sell car and rebuy later................

If it's a basic ride, it might be a good idea to sell it on, as when you return it will be near 12 years old.......

But, if it is looked at as family, pump up the tyres to around 40 psi, cut up some cardboard boxes to shield the tyres, other than that I would not worry as it will be started now and again. A battery milliamp trickle charger maybe a good idea, the type you leave connected. 

3 minutes ago, transam said:

If it's a basic ride, it might be a good idea to sell it on, as when you return it will be near 12 years old.......

But, if it is looked at as family, pump up the tyres to around 40 psi, cut up some cardboard boxes to shield the tyres, other than that I would not worry as it will be started now and again. A battery milliamp trickle charger maybe a good idea, the type you leave connected. 

what does the cardboard actually do ?

My advice would be to sell it, if you don’t want to do that then you need someone who can drive the car once a week or at least every other week for maybe 30 minutes because the brakes will start rusting and once the car stands for long enough the brakes will have rusted so much that the wheels get stuck and it’s a massive pain in the ass to get them running again. The fuel will go bad also and I’m not sure how well a stabilizer will work, I haven’t looked into that. My advice would be to just sell it, put the money in the bank and when you come back you can buy something else. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 10:15 PM, Velleman said:

I'll look into that fuel stabilizer.

Why disconnect the battery if someone starts the car once a month or so?

And yes, it's under a roof.

If someone is going to start/run the car to warm up a couple times a month nothing to really worry about, just check the fluid levels now and again.

You say the tyres are already cracked, so they're done for, but it wouldn't hurt to maybe check the air pressure once in a while, otherwise leave them on and the car on the ground.

If it's an auto gearbox it wouldn't hurt to select the gears now and again to let the fluid circulate, Also activate/pump the brakes so calipers etc don't stick.

If it's going to be a couple of years before you return maybe let the fuel tank level run down to a minimal amount, and ask your friend to top it up with a gallon now and again to keep the fuel fresh.

Read into the original post, the car has already been standing for several Years, and you are seeking ideas to stand it for a further 2 more .

If it were me, I would seriously consider if I really needed to keep that Car at all.

Maybe you are better to sell the Car and rent upon your return as there is so little use .

Gotta a laugh at some of the posts here - on a topic that has been done many times before

My HD sat in a steel crate for almost 7 years. Full of gasahol 95 and Stabil. The brakes did not rust, the fuel system did not fill with chalky whatever. The o-rings were fine. It was never turned over even once during all that time. No one even looked at it !

Drained the fuel, filled with fresh, installed a new battery, rode it away.