Lifting the lid on Thailand’s ‘mystery box’ trend

snoop1130

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

On December 5, Pimrypie ratcheted up the hype by offering “cut-price” mystery boxes for Bt10,000 apiece. The response was overwhelming. All 10,000 boxes were snapped up in five minutes as buyers ignored repeated warnings that the contents could be just about anything.

Suckers will always be sucked in.

"Listing the lid"? Ouch. Flush first.

When I first heard about this woman, who did build a decent (ok as decent as a Ron Popeil can be) business from nearly nothing, stepping up her game with these mystery boxes I assumed it would end badly, for her. Even my remoteness, and lack of thai language skills marked her, from her videos/streams, as a charlatan.

She primed interest by providing huge prize boxes early on - or had others claim huge value boxes (hundreds of thousands of baht).

I think a certain portion of any population is eager for above average returns, just look at those rubes in Pattaya who got scammed at the bank.

A story from my youth, I can't find an on-line reference so my aging memory may be faulty.

Many moons ago an ad appeared in a US paper "Send me 1$ and I will send you absolutely nothing". There were apparently a not insignificant number of takers.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

In Japan, they have vending machines which are quite popular selling these mystery boxes. Anywhere from $10 to $50 US dollar price. The big reason is most people believe they will get the Iphone that's pictured as a 'possible' prize for the $50 variant. It really is a racket

Wife showed me a video of them putting stuff in these boxes the other day. She said they had sold 30000 at 1000bht each. 
I pointed out that there might be 10 or so new iPads and phones , some with money and maybe 1 with a car . All the rest were full of creams, perfume etc which I told her was probably really bad quality or fake name brands.

Done the maths and even if those selling the boxes spent 5 million bht on the items inside , then they make 25 million bht profit for practically doing nothing apart from waffling on for 20 minutes on Facebook !

4 hours ago, ronster said:

Wife showed me a video of them putting stuff in these boxes the other day. She said they had sold 30000 at 1000bht each. 
I pointed out that there might be 10 or so new iPads and phones , some with money and maybe 1 with a car . All the rest were full of creams, perfume etc which I told her was probably really bad quality or fake name brands.

Done the maths and even if those selling the boxes spent 5 million bht on the items inside , then they make 25 million bht profit for practically doing nothing apart from waffling on for 20 minutes on Facebook !

Look at it this way. If you buy and then receive a box the size of a car you might get excited before you open it.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, tonray said:

In Japan, they have vending machines which are quite popular selling these mystery boxes. Anywhere from $10 to $50 US dollar price. The big reason is most people believe they will get the Iphone that's pictured as a 'possible' prize for the $50 variant. It really is a racket

They have those here too.  

• Like 1