How to say something is "tart" in Thai

Speedo1968

I live near a small town in Khon Kaen province.
I am lucky enough to have friends who are coffee roasters who have won many awards.
Their main business is roasting and supplying coffee.
As a side line they have a coffee house, with a few customers, mostly regulars, some traveling 50km from Khon Kaen.
The coffees are from world wide and in the coffee house they can serve the coffee prepared in different ways.
I am very lucky in that I get my coffee free in return for comments.
This week I was offered a new blend which I suggested was from Ethiopia and probably cold brewed, I was correct in that it was not a blend and was informed that the cold brew process took 10 hours.

My question relates to the word for a certain taste in Thai language.
I said that the coffee was tart ( this can be a wrong taste for coffee but it was prepared correctly and tasted excellent )
They didn't understand when I said it tasted "tart" and said "sour - periyw" but that means sour.  They used the words for tangy "xamplil" and bitter "khm".
I have heard "thart" before.
Could anyone tell me if there is a Thai word for tart ?    Tart in a nice flavour way.

Bpiere or Beer means sour or can be used to say tart as they are similar with tart being a lesser version of sour....just my view of course but the word I started this post with is what we use in my house in Thailand when we speak of tart or sour.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Is that Thai???

Sour in Thai = เปรี้ยว  or Perī̂yw (Preaw)

Your right for Thai.  My Myanmar GF and the housekeeper use the word I listed. Of course I transliterated it into English script instead of the Karen language since my keyboard only has Thai and English....lol

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your right for Thai.  My Myanmar uses the work I listed. and of course I tranliterated it instead of the Karen language since my keyboard only has Thai and english....lol

Aha oke. No idea about Myanmar. Only know Thai and Cambodian. 

in khmer (dialect here in Buriram) sour = tjoo (not sure of the spelling)

• Like 1

I always hear "som" being used next to the "priaao" . Sorry don't know Thai writing , but it is def used as a softer version of sour , so in my book its what i consider tart.

sezze: i think the word you suggest *som* means vinegar, and that is sour too.

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I have never heard 'tart' in reference to coffee but I am surely not the expert that you are...

to translate, I would say - bplieo noy - - the noy helps soften the sour 

I bought some Vietnamese ground coffee yesterday, and to my (very basic) taste buds - tart describes it perfectly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

...They didn't understand when I said it tasted "tart" and said "sour - periyw" but that means sour.  They used the words for tangy "xamplil" and bitter "khm"...

Now that the the original question has been satisfactorily answered and I need not fear that I might derail the topic, I'd like to mention, as a side note, that this is the first time that I have seen the ISO 11940-2 standard, respectively a variation of it without superscripts, used as a pronunciation guide, for which this system was never intended, and I should like to compliment the people who posted replies despite this generally unintelligible transcription/transliteration.

For anyone interested in this ISO standard, there was a discussion of it in this topic in August 2020:

• Like 1