Poll: Expats living in Thailand -- Are You Boosted?

Jingthing

Expats in Thailand ONLY / Boosting ONLY  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

That's your personal experience and at odds with thousands of others who had a tough time getting Covid. Not to mention long Covid.

I had mild flu-like symptoms, aches / chills for around 10 days. The missus similar but less. My 10yo boy had a sore throat for 2 days..

Some of my Thai staff have had it also. One guy was pretty sick, but he regrets not isolating at home after spending 2 weeks in a field hospital.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Local (thailand) booster rate is ~ 35%.

Higher than expected, maybe because of the nature of the initial doses?

I've found Thais to be obsessed with covid vaccinations. Every Thai I've talked with in recent months eagerly want to discuss the various vaccines and tell you which ones they have had and what one they want next. Last week in Pattaya I walked into a little music store at Central and one lady in there, she had a sign up on the wall saying she's been vaccinated. I asked what she'd had, and she told me her whole story, and how lucky she was to have recently got a Moderna booster. I was in her shop for 20 minutes chatting away only and covid and vaccines with her. I thought afterwards I can't ever remember having such a lengthy conversation with a total stranger Thai before.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, grain said:

I've found Thais to be obsessed with covid vaccinations. Every Thai I've talked with in recent months eagerly want to discuss the various vaccines and tell you which ones they have had and what one they want next. Last week in Pattaya I walked into a little music store at Central and one lady in there, she had a sign up on the wall saying she's been vaccinated. I asked what she'd had, and she told me her whole story, and how lucky she was to have recently got a Moderna booster. I was in her shop for 20 minutes chatting away only and covid and vaccines with her. I thought afterwards I can't ever remember having such a lengthy conversation with a total stranger Thai before.

Yeah...my GF's mom surprised me because she was a vaccine holdout...then one day she told GF she got her shot...when GF asked what changed her mind, she simple stated that her cabal of old lady friends decided to hold out for a year until they could get Pfizer instead of SinoVac. These old birds are more up on stuff than you might think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I obviously travel in different circles, as most I know, are skeptical and have avoided the vaccines.

Expats seem to be (if forums are an example) obsessed with getting as many shots as possible, and showing extreme prejudice to those who think differently.

The sides are not equivalent.

12 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

AZ x 2 last quarter, recently had Pfizer booster.(in/out in 20 minutes, there were just 10 peole in the room!)

Unless pressured with restrictions etc I have no intention of taking anything again.

Even if a more virulent strain emerges?

17 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Why baselessly characterise people who just want to follow medical advice? I have not seen a single post where anybody wants to get "as many shots as possible". That's just trolling. All I want to do is get the vaccines as recommended in order to save my life and protect others. I'm quite sure anybody not wearing a tin foil hat feels the same way. I you want to have a respectful debate then give one. My tin foil hat jibe is a response to uour mischaracterisation so you can understand what it does and how it escalates. It is a persistent theme in this debate to ascribe others as having an opinion which doesn't exist. It is irrational to consider that anybody wants to have more shots than is necessary.

Well everyone is entitled to an opinion, right?

• Haha 1

It's already mainstream medical advice that certain people such as the immune compromised should get a second booster.

There is also a train of thought that the term booster is a misnomer and that only people with the third shot are fully vaccinated.

The truth is this is messy and researchers continue to learn more over time so it is arguably folly to say never about anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Why baselessly characterise people who just want to follow medical advice? I have not seen a single post where anybody wants to get "as many shots as possible". That's just trolling. All I want to do is get the vaccines as recommended in order to save my life and protect others. I'm quite sure anybody not wearing a tin foil hat feels the same way. I you want to have a respectful debate then give one. My tin foil hat jibe is a response to uour mischaracterisation so you can understand what it does and how it escalates. It is a persistent theme in this debate to ascribe others as having an opinion which doesn't exist. It is irrational to consider that anybody wants to have more shots than is necessary.

Just replying to 'grain's' post, as feels Thais are obsessed, and I simply find the opposite.  Not trying to characterize anyone, or insult them with silly 'tin foil hat' references.  Simply agreeing to disagree.

You certainly can't deny most forum members are asking where can I get the next shot, whether have 2 or 3 already (how long do I have to wait for next), and you surely can NOT deny the prejudice (your replies / prime example) toward those who think different.

Have a nice day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, huangnon said:

I had mild flu-like symptoms, aches / chills for around 10 days. The missus similar but less. My 10yo boy had a sore throat for 2 days..

Some of my Thai staff have had it also. One guy was pretty sick, but he regrets not isolating at home after spending 2 weeks in a field hospital.

My friend has scared lungs and can no longer exercise. I could list lots of people I know who are suffering from long covid.

I'll do my best to avoid getting sick.

• Thanks 2

On 2/18/2022 at 12:32 PM, KhunLA said:

Just replying to 'grain's' post, as feels Thais are obsessed, and I simply find the opposite.  Not trying to characterize anyone, or insult them with silly 'tin foil hat' references.  Simply agreeing to disagree.

You certainly can't deny most forum members are asking where can I get the next shot, whether have 2 or 3 already (how long do I have to wait for next), and you surely can NOT deny the prejudice (your replies / prime example) toward those who think different.

Have a nice day.

This forum is dedicated to COVID, Vaccines and related matters.

Hardly surprising that many members seek advice on where to get vaccines.

It’s also focussed on Expats in Thailand, many of whom are married here, have extended Thai families and extensive Thai social connections.

These people can measure your claims of Thai attitudes towards the disease and vaccines against their own knowledge of attitudes amongst their own Thai families and friends.

@BritManToo

Considering your noticeable presence on this forum, and your many posts referencing your age bracket, prior family formation, and current offspring (known to you and otherwise LOL), you would think that self-styled ‘Darwin experts’ on here would realize that you have long ago passed on your genetic information onto the next generation!

Not sure if it’s the booze, the weed, or the frivolity that helps you keep so chilled out. Maybe I should start dabbling…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/18/2022 at 10:42 AM, KhunLA said:

I obviously travel in different circles, as most I know, are skeptical and have avoided the vaccines.

Expats seem to be (if forums are an example) obsessed with getting as many shots as possible, and showing extreme prejudice to those who think differently.

Would be interested to know your demographic and location?

I work in an office in BKK with 1,300 people and their are apparently 4 people who have refused the vaccine- last year their was lots of angst as people could not get it quick enough. Many companies in BKK will not even employ unvaccinated persons anymore. I only know one person who has not had it by their own choice. All bar workers, service sector people have had it as its pretty much mandatory. Who are all these people you associate with?

• Haha 1