5 times Blackpink’s Lisa proved she’s Thailand’s unofficial princess

webfact

58 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

As a member of an internationally famous pop group, she's been travelling the world performing at concerts for the last 3 years, and in the recording studio doing her solo hits and with Blackpink. 

Please refrain from commenting on something you have NO knowledge about.

So she traveled all over the world but she didn't have time to visit "home" in the last 3 years. Life must be really hard for famous people, they can't even visit home...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suspect her management contract, which it seems from reports effectively controlled every aspect of her life as a teenage pop idol, precluded that sort of travel.

Maybe now that she seems to be trying to establish a solo career, she may be wanting to spend more time in Thailand, where her principal fan base as a solo artist presumably is.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So she traveled all over the world but she didn't have time to visit "home" in the last 3 years. Life must be really hard for famous people, they can't even visit home...

Bit of jealousy there, and naivety also. Bit sad.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why did she not come to here home and her home country for the last 3 years? Was she sick and couldn't travel? Would nobody let her in? Was she scared for her life?

As far as I know she could have traveled to her home country and her home province and her home anytime. But she didn't. Is that what people do who love their "home"?

Obviously all this is up to her and is she prefers to live somewhere else that is perfectly fine. But please don't pretend she is a princess or has such a strong connection with the country, etc.. She isn't and she hasn't. 

She does what her record company tells her to do, as she, like the vast majority of k-pop ''stars''/''artists'', is basically owned by them until she pays back what they say she owes for her training and promotion...

Edited by Bluespunk
missed out a few words
  • Like 2

her "princess" status largely derives from the fact that because thaliand is so meaningless to the rest of the world that anything or anyone thai that gets the least bit of international notoriety is seen as confirming the thai idea that thailand is the center of the universe. 

• Like 2

It seems like many live in a dream. Tourists are a fickle set of people. If they cant go where they want and do, obviously within the law, what they want they will go elsewhere. Having gone to another location they will forget Thailand totally.

I think Thailand is great but maybe I am biased as my family is Thai, but this article is not about people like me, it is very much about the vacationing traveller. Try to impose restrictions and they will go elsewhere and not return.

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why did she not come to here home and her home country for the last 3 years?

Well you know what many Thais, and many others for that matter,  are like if they go off on earn plenty of money.  They enjoy their new found lifestyles and as they have now got money they look down on others and conveniently forget where they come from and who gave them the early opportunities and start in life.

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

you usually tend to make sensible comments and express valid opinions, but in this case you're talking absolute nonsense. I worked in the music industry for one of the major record labels back in the 90's, and it's a regular occurrence for international stars/groups/bands to be away from home for years at a time because of contractual commitments with touring and recording.

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why did she not come to here home and her home country for the last 3 years? Was she sick and couldn't travel

COVID-19 and contractual obligations.

Where your rich time flys.

In any case she set her entire family up we with new houses and cars!

7 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

I wonder if the article author, Ji Won Chung, is aware that if she called herself "princess" in her home country she might wander behind bars for up to 15 years.

Besides... she may be very talented (if you like that style of music), but her "princess status" and her steep career explicitly can NOT be credited to Thailand. It entirely is the achievement of a record company in South Korea, which recognized and developed her talents and spent millions over million of $ on promoting her and Blackpink.

Had she remained in Thailand, she would - like countless other local artists - probably be endlessly touring low-brow country fairs, be a run-of-the-mill house act in a provincial club or discotheque, or got caught up in an oppressive contract with a local record firm, never to become known beyond Thailand's borders.

She'd still be chewing on Buriram meatballs, which, I assure you, are factually unremarkable and taste just like any other meatballs available in this country. And she never would've got a lucrative booze promoting gig, because it's illegal in Thailand.

So maybe we just should get down a little bit from the "Oh we are all soooo proud to have Lisa and that she is Thai" hype now, shall we...?   

Ever heard of rachinee luktung? Pumpuang is still known as the Queen of luktung, and a real Princess wrote a song for her. So I doubt Princess Lisa will be getting any problems. Low brow country fairs sounds a bit snobish, much to be prefered over hi brow Ekami clubs etc, and many singers earn a good living. They should be proud of Lisa, worked hard made her dream come true and has a few million dollars in the bank- for meatballs!

18 hours ago, webfact said:

4. She’s even got the Thai Prime Minister’s approval

Lisa really is beloved by Thailand – and not just by the people, but by the prime minister as well. According to the Bangkok Post, Prayut Chan-o-cha personally praised the singer for promoting Thai culture with her Lalisa music video.

That was before his New Years Eve concert announcement debacle. 

My guess is he likes her a lot less these days.

23 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

As a member of an internationally famous pop group, she's been travelling the world performing at concerts for the last 3 years, and in the recording studio doing her solo hits and with Blackpink. 

Member of a famous pop group? Really? Never heard of her until now. What is this "famous" pop groups name to which you refer?

• Haha 1