Malaysia Detains Thais Who Tested Positive For Marijuana

webfact

6 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The behaviour  of the Malaysian authorities is primitive, authoritarianism, cruel and very short sighted.

What do u expect from a Islamic nation.

They handed down a death sentence to a trans girl for being a trans!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-59286774

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-23/malaysian-transgender-influencer-nur-sajat-flees-to-australia/100556448

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, robblok said:

I would only accept drug tests if alchol tests and liver tests would be done fair is fair. No weed but alcohol is no problem is crazy. Anyway If you work somewhere where you cant use drugs id leave. That is if they are talking about use in free time and the drug is legal in that country. Drugged or drunk on work is never ok. 

I don't think you have the option to accept them (drug tests), if you want to enter Malaysia.

Entry to Malaysia has always as far as I know involved the possibility of being tested. It is no secret that they do it. Donkeys' years ago I flew Stansted - Kuala Lumpur on Air Asia. Half a dozen of us were asked to pee in a bottle. I was negative, unsurprisingly as I have never touched the stuff.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

Just now, tomacht8 said:

When you come to another country as a visitor, I find it generally unpleasant when border officials rummage through your private suitcase, look into your rectum or force you to take a <deleted> test. It's degrading as a procedure. If something like this is standard procedure in a country, I refrain from visiting. Simple as it is.

Unfortunately for you, any border force know where to look for naughty stuff, they are used to seeing your private stuff, it's their job.........????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Unfortunately for you, any border force know where to look for naughty stuff, they are used to seeing your private stuff, it's their job.........????

That's already clear. As long as it catches you on random sampling. It is different when it becomes a permanent standard procedure upon entry. 

41 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Any difference to what the police here do when they raid a club?

Yes.

They are enforcing the laws of Thailand in Thailand. 

Malaysia is enforcing the laws of Malaysia based on what happened in Thailand. 

You really missed that?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which trains and restaurants in Thailand permit the smoking of joints in public?

Yeah, I’m just sayin.  Seeing as to how some laws are not enforced as strictly or are in flux (and not knowing _how_ or _if_ any current law may be even in existence or in what form the law is, or how strictly upper management _wants_ the laws to be enforced), then things could go either way — more restriction or more easing of already tenuous restrictions.  And, with the enthusiastic pressure on the part of the many very vocal proponents of said smoking of said joints, then things could get very… smoky, in many many venues.  So, this is hypothetical.  But it is a hypotheses that may very well happen, given the impetus from various sectors both in public and governmental as well as private that seem to salivate at the prospect.

6 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

That's already clear. As long as it catches you on random sampling. It is different when it becomes a permanent standard procedure upon entry. 

Think that would depend on a known threat.... But all part of the fun of travelling to a different land....????

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

When you come to another country as a visitor, I find it generally unpleasant when border officials rummage through your private suitcase, look into your rectum or force you to take a urine test. It's degrading as a procedure. If something like this is standard procedure in a country, I refrain from visiting. Simple as it is.

Thanks for the info, never had a rectal cavity search, you must be a special case to get them whenever you visit, well according to your post I take it you have been subjected to one.  Had my bags checked on many different occasions when I was either flying in or when making a border cross after being in certain countries and then entering another one.  Glad you refrain from entering the countries that do make them standard procedures, I am sure they let out a sigh of relief when you turn around at the border cross or just decide not to visit.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes.

You really missed that?

No I did not miss that at all, same same but different countries, and if something is legal in one country but not another they will more than likely be checking to ensure you, well not you specifically, are not in violation of their rules and regulations by either being already under the influence of a Drug, and then searching you for said drugs.  Cannabis seems to be a problem for Malaysia, or else why would they be checking for it....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Unbelievable that we have people on this forum advocating the urine testing of tourist arrivals.  And I bet you moan about Thailand making things hard for "us expats" and tourists with their "draconian immigration policies" (Yawn)   Yet you'd have no problem if they decided to start urine testing.

Unbelievable.

I don't believe that people are really advocating it.

It's just saying that it can happen, has happened and is very likely going to happen again.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thanks for the info, never had a rectal cavity search, you must be a special case to get them whenever you visit, well according to your post I take it you have been subjected to one.  Had my bags checked on many different occasions when I was either flying in or when making a border cross after being in certain countries and then entering another one.  Glad you refrain from entering the countries that do make them standard procedures, I am sure they let out a sigh of relief when you turn around at the border cross or just decide not to visit.

Your assumptions combined with some personal insults are uncomfortable. Welcome to my block list.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Agreed.

Which is a shame because Malaysia is an interesting destination.

And you can visit it easily provided you obey their laws After all is IS their country and they make the laws that fit their country whether we agree with those laws or not.

2 hours ago, DrJoy said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-23/malaysian-transgender-influencer-nur-sajat-flees-to-australia/100556448

Just because you don't agree with it does not make it wrong. It is their country and they make the laws that suit them.

Personally I agree with you, but I am of the live and let live brigade.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And you can visit it easily provided you obey their laws After all is IS their country and they make the laws that fit their country whether we agree with those laws or not.

I won't be going. I find their testing policy worthy of global boycott by all.

This isn't the only reason but it's the straw that broke the camel's back.

Previously I have been spat on there just for being American and it's one of the most antisemitic nations on earth.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Unbelievable that we have people on this forum advocating the urine testing of tourist arrivals.  And I bet you moan about Thailand making things hard for "us expats" and tourists with their "draconian immigration policies" (Yawn)   Yet you'd have no problem if they decided to start urine testing.

Unbelievable.

Why do you find it unbelievable?

I find it unbelievable that people take recreational drugs in the first place but that is just my opinion, as your opinion is just yours.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Yes.

You really missed that?

Where did the incident actually happen. Was it on Thailand or Malaysian territory? If it was on Malaysian territory by Malaysian border guards, they have the right to do so.

What is missing from the OP is how many other Thais went through the border post the same day and were clean? AFAICS NONE of the three were farangs, yet it is only the farangs on this thread are upset about it.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Crazy behavior by the Malaysian authorities. 

Not only Malaysia but also Singapore.

In Singapore, it's the death sentence if you bring more than a certain amount into the country.

In Malaysia, you cannot even dress like a woman if you are born a man. Homosexuality is a crime there.

I think Thailand is now more liberal than these two countries.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Singapore is a non-muslim country and yet they executes drug traffickers so it's not restricted to muslim countries.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

When you come to another country as a visitor, I find it generally unpleasant when border officials rummage through your private suitcase, look into your rectum or force you to take a urine test. It's degrading as a procedure. If something like this is standard procedure in a country, I refrain from visiting. Simple as it is.

Do they actually look into our rectum? lol