Thai police tell public to stop "three beeps" craze - it's dangerous and you'll be fined 500 baht

webfact

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

There is a place on The Isle of Man where, as one drives through, for luck, you have to wave at the fairies..... there is a place in Pattaya too but it is different. 

Similarly on Samui.

There is a place on the ring road to Lamai where all the Thais beep as they pass. There is a spirit house, but I was told that someone died in a road accident there and the Thais beep to ward off any ghosts.

But the most annoying are the taxis and songthaews beeping at pedestrians as they pass.

• Like 1

I live about 100 meters from a junior village school, the kids use the football field after school hours.

4 days ago they were assembled on the road verge, jumping out and making these strange motions with their arms as vehicles of any sort drove by. I had no idea what they were doing until reading this article.

Anyway it lasted 2 days and stopped, can't say I heard a single horn sounding (well done the drivers). I'm guessing the kids got bored and went back to their football.

33 minutes ago, phetphet said:

But the most annoying are the taxis and songthaews beeping at pedestrians as they pass.

They appear to beep at me when going in completely the wrong direction which always irritated me.  

I suggest the introduction of a new law with immediate effect, possibly a special edition of the Royal Gazette to announce, that three fingers in the air calls for 3 life sentences of not less than 50 years of slammer - each that is. 

For those in the dark, three (middle) fingers straight into the air while the thumb covers the pinky is the official salute of Boy Scouts - so it is a matter of interpretation. 

But if the sitting lame ducks of this government panic over kids doing the boy scout thing and interpret this as an anti-government sign ............. self-explanatory as far as as self-confidence of the governmental clowns is concerned. 

Given the source of this greeting might lead other ministers of this divine team of self-elected  leadership to yet another confirmation, that Farang, incl. their kids, are dirty and they said that all the way along ???? 

pfadfinder-gruss-hand-100~_v-img__16__9__xl_-d31c35f8186ebeb80b0cd843a7c267a0e0c81647.jpg

On 8/22/2022 at 9:55 AM, webfact said:

It is a symbol of calls for more democracy in Thailand taken from resistance shown in the well know Hunger Games movie trilogy. 

Calling for Democracy is an act of insurrection and sedition - just like Hunger Games. 

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

I suggest the introduction of a new law with immediate effect, possibly a special edition of the Royal Gazette to announce, that three fingers in the air calls for 3 life sentences of not less than 50 years of slammer - each that is. 

For those in the dark, three (middle) fingers straight into the air while the thumb covers the pinky is the official salute of Boy Scouts - so it is a matter of interpretation. 

But if the sitting lame ducks of this government panic over kids doing the boy scout thing and interpret this as an anti-government sign ............. self-explanatory as far as as self-confidence of the governmental clowns is concerned. 

Given the source of this greeting might lead other ministers of this divine team of self-elected  leadership to yet another confirmation, that Farang, incl. their kids, are dirty and they said that all the way along ???? 

pfadfinder-gruss-hand-100~_v-img__16__9__xl_-d31c35f8186ebeb80b0cd843a7c267a0e0c81647.jpg

Nice catch.  Seditious Scouts!  ????

A couple of points.

Aren't there far more dangerous things on Thai roads that the police seem to have no interest in?

Pixelating faces in pictures is common and with good reason. I'm less certain when it's the back of someone's head. Still better safe than sorry I suppose.

16 hours ago, scorecard said:

Tradition, very important.

Yes indeed. I used to beep beep when driving past roadside temples, especially those with special ornate shrines dedicated to the many road traffic victims at accident "black spot areas' among the mountains of Northern Thailand where I used to live. For me it was a matter of respect and personal choice.

image.jpeg.dc904a52b3a1587ddaf47523e7470577.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed. I used to beep beep when driving past roadside temples, especially those with special ornate shrines dedicated to the many road traffic victims at accident "black spot areas' among the mountains of Northern Thailand where I used to live. For me it was a matter of respect and personal choice.

image.jpeg.dc904a52b3a1587ddaf47523e7470577.jpeg

Same, respecting the local traditions, nothing wrong with that. and the reality is that traditions exist in all countries/cultures, and often followed in all countries with no thought about whether they are relevant, logical, needed and more.

Simple example, when i was kid all men wore hats. When we went into a restaurant (and other places) my mom or my grandma would quickly tell the men in the group to remove their hats.

Local tradition.

Logical?

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2022 at 10:43 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Sorry but which part of Thailand do you live?

I may hear a horn about once in five trips.

My wife always reminds me that I am on the edge of death when honking the horn.

In Tambon Changraek, Bang Saphan Noi. close to the Highway. 

On 8/22/2022 at 9:55 AM, webfact said:

stop "three beeps" 

Thailand is quite civilized regarding blowing horns, apart from the annoying foreigner in his car or motorbike at the soi Buakaow intersection blowing his horn aggressively it's quite calm. 

Go to Vietnam, omg, these people are obsessed with the horn blowing, they can't travel 20 meters without hitting the horn. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 10:34 AM, mnomad said:

Meh,  soon you won't even be able to use hazard lights to tell the driver behind that you are slowing down or to indicate you are currently waiting at a red light

why would one use hazard warning lights when waiting for lights to change??

hazard warning lights are not on vehicles for this....likewise NOT on vehicles to indicate that one is going straight os when approaching a junction !!!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

why would one use hazard warning lights when waiting for lights to change??

hazard warning lights are not on vehicles for this....likewise NOT on vehicles to indicate that one is going straight os when approaching a junction !!!!!!!!!!!

Just did a 12 hr drive from Chonburi to near Mukdahan and for nearly all of 700 odd km there are road works. At 0200 hr most road work places are dark, plus rained most the way and nearly all the trucks stopping at traffic lights engaged their worning lights as they slowed down before the traffic light stop. There's gotta be a reason for that. Seems obvious to me.

I do it too if stopped at lights and can see the next wave of vehicles coming in the rear mirror.

32 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Just did a 12 hr drive from Chonburi to near Mukdahan and for nearly all of 700 odd km there are road works. At 0200 hr most road work places are dark, plus rained most the way and nearly all the trucks stopping at traffic lights engaged their worning lights as they slowed down before the traffic light stop. There's gotta be a reason for that. Seems obvious to me.

I do it too if stopped at lights and can see the next wave of vehicles coming in the rear mirror.

Well if your concern is safety on the roads.

May i suggest you do your driving in daylight hours.

To many dogs, drunks, idiots at night on the roads for me.

.I assume you meant 02:00 am. ?

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 10:15 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Good luck that I don't use fb or twitter or any of that and I don't know that these things exist.

Ok, I didn't know until a minute ago.

Are you sure you didnt know or are you covering up for your 3 beeps. Not sure if it is true but they say 3 beeps a day keeps the doctor away.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Well if your concern is safety on the roads.

May i suggest you do your driving in daylight hours.

To many dogs, drunks, idiots at night on the roads for me.

.I assume you meant 02:00 am. ?

Correct and hence the warning lights. 

I would normally not leave that early but I had to get to Kalasin Road Transport early enought to change over my number plates.

0200hr is 2 am.

Got you covered mate. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

Are you sure you didnt know or are you covering up for your 3 beeps. Not sure if it is true but they say 3 beeps a day keeps the doctor away.

There was a time when I could answer that with a confused-icon.

Sorry, I don't understand what you try to say.