Liz Truss resigns as Britain’s Prime Minister after disastrous six-week tenure

Scott

9 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Next up has to be Rishi.

He said in the leadership race Truss's plans wouldn't work. He was right.

A quiet guy with no skeletons in the cupboard. Any mud slingers will find their mud doesn't stick.

No razzmatazz. His pledges offered stability and a need to wait and move ahead bit by bit. 

It can only be him for next PM.

Doubt the Conservatives will choose a non-white for PM.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It is arguable that the base probably won’t. It is certainly an argument that could explain truss’ selection, when the idiocy of her tax cut blah blah blah was plain for all to see. 

Edited by Bluespunk

Keep in mind the Privileges Committee investigation into Johnson kicks off next month.

So if Johnson were selected he’d immediately be at risk of sanctions.

And that’s apart from the obvious fact of him not having the support of voters out with the extreme right wing that has caused all these problems.

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don’t think for a moment that’s a consideration for the Parliamentary Conservative Party, but yes it is almost certainly an issue amongst the ‘Blue Rinse Set’.

The Constituency Conservative Membership have already demonstrated how hopelessly out of touch they are.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It would also lead to the complete self-destruction of the Conservative party, which would be even funnnier!

History suggests he would lead the Conservatives to another landslide victory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

History suggests he would lead the Conservatives to another landslide victory.

The 2019 result was because most people were fed up with Brexit and wanted to "get Brexit done" (even some Remainers!).  Now most people would acknowledge that Brexit was a monumental mistake, but it's done & dusted (for now).  People are concerned about their living standards and the "Red Wall' which gave Boris his victory last time will evaporate.   The Tories are currently polling at 14%!

LAB: 53% (= from 12 Oct) CON: 14% (-5) LDM: 11% (+3) GRN: 6% (=) SNP: 5% (-1) Full tables: https://peoplepolling.org/tables/202210_GBN_W42_full.pdf#subsection*.12

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, the 2019 result was because the people who wanted Brexit voted for the political party that promised to adhere to what the people wanted , rather than Labour who wouldn't do what the people told them to do 

On the subject of Brexit, the thread where the video below was originally posted was closed before Brexit supporters had the chance to debunk its' contents.

Imo it's only fair that they get the opportunity. Therefore, repeating my original question; perhaps those who still think that Brexit is beneficial, and is not a contributory factor in the current crisis, could let us have the counter argument?

(To preempt objections that this 'off-topic', I'd argue that the candidates' attitudes towards Brexit/ the EU will probably play a part in this election, therefore it is relevant).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Me personally ?

I have moved on from that , Brexit was years ago .

I have been occupied with getting through Covid unvaccinated , travel restrictions , Russia invading Ukraine , and various other issues .

Brexit seems like it was from a different World , I live in a post Brexit UK  and everyone has moved on from talking about Brexit.

So, you will have to ask someone else .

Its a bit like someone asking me about the 2016 European Cup Final , 

It was  - and still is - an open invite to all Brexit supporters.

"Everyone has moved on from talking about Brexit".  Clearly many of us haven't: That's why we are still discussing it. And there are very good reasons for that. There are still unresolved issues.

Haven't you noticed that the situation in N.Ireland which are a direct result of Brexit? What about the on-going discussions about UK collaboration in EU funded fora? Access to data; that's all sorted, is it? How about regulatory issues e.g. in the chemicals industry? And what about the (financial) service sector? Currently rarely mentioned but outside of the agreement because, yes, at the moment the EU needs access to the City. But in 5 years time? 

Another reason I am still talking about Brexit is because the UK government needs to be held responsible and accountable for its' Brexit related promises and commitments. Or do you consider that unimportant?

Notwithstanding any of the above, why not sate my curiousity and point out the economic benefits that the UK has accrued since the Brexit referendum and/or the date on which we formally left the EU?

Edited by RayC
Clarity
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, RayC said:

It was  - and still is - an open invite to all Brexit supporters.

"Everyone has moved on from talking about Brexit".  Clearly many of us haven't: That's why we are still discussing it. And there are very good reasons why not. There are still unresolved issues.

Haven't you noticed that there are on-going issues in N.Ireland which are a direct result of Brexit? What about the on-going discussions about UK collaboration in EU funded fora? Access to data; that's all sorted, is it? How about regulatory issues e.g. in the chemicals industry? And what about the (financial) service sector? Currently rarely mentioned but outside of the agreement because, yes, at the moment the EU needs access to the City. But in 5 years time? 

Another reason I am still talking about Brexit is because the UK government needs to be held responsible and accountable for its' Brexit related promises and commitments. Or do you consider that unimportant?

Notwithstanding any of the above, why not sate my curiousity and point out the economic benefits that the UK has accrued since the Brexit referendum and/or the date on which we formally left the EU?

Maybe you could try asking on reddit Brexit forums ?

22 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Maybe you could try asking on reddit Brexit forums ?

Given that Brexit supporters knew what they were voting for, I thought that those here might be able to help. Looks like I was mistaken.

Nb: I accept that I am assuming that Brexit supporters are not economic masochists. If this assumption is incorrect then no explanation is necessary.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This guy brings it to a point. And it would be really funny if it wouldn't be so sad. 

I would have to disagree with Mr. Pie.

Liz Truss did exactly what she promised to do before being elected.

Her promises may have been dog poop, but that is what she was elected to do by the Conservative party members. Obviously what she should have done was nothing, and just made excuses for the first 6 months, "I need to set up a committee to explore this and that before taking any action", would have been her best option.

Edited by BritManToo

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That isn't true, that is actually a lie .

(Yes, I know he misquoted someone in a a news article 30 years ago and I know what was written on the side of the bus)

No, you are misrepresenting.  He has always been a liar.  He has lied repeatedly.  Away with your "side of a bus" deflection.