Soaring baht as the Thai economic spirit rises with one of the world’s lowest levels of inflation

webfact

Just now, jaywalker2 said:

Has inflation remained low? Food prices have soared and the rent demanded for vacant condos seems to have exceeded precovid levels. Am I imagining all of this?

You are not wrong wrt food prices... 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

The dollar really only weakened against the baht in the last 10 days or so. Inflation in the US is off the charts but beginning to be reined in especially in housing and rates. Food costs are off the charts. Most are paying 20 - 30% more than last year. The stats the govt uses may be tainted as I have real-life proof that food inflation is far higher than reported in the US. 

It's great that inflation has remained low in Thailand. I also find it poetic justice that the Chinese continue to keep millions locked in their homes to address Covid while the rest of the world is moving along, especially since Covid began in China and they tried to cover it all up. So sad, too bad. 

i am told by the social security that the cost of living index for retirees will get a boost in their income from the USA for a whopping 8.9% in January. The most increase ever. I do not believe that Thailands baht value can increase so much so rapidly without some sort of manipulation.. It is not normal for sure to have such a large change so quickly and it was ordered by the PM to do something to increase the value of the baht last month. The comment about China is bulls__t because they are still locking down many places in cities. My friend there has been in lockdown for a couple weeks already just because someone in their neighborhood was tested positive for covid. Also, anyone who travels into China is faced with 5 days quarantine at their government centers and then home self isolation. This was in the news last week. Who would take a week holiday only to be quarantined for another week or 2 returning home? 

15 minutes ago, thesetat said:

i am told by the social security that the cost of living index for retirees will get a boost in their income from the USA for a whopping 8.9% in January. The most increase ever. I do not believe that Thailands baht value can increase so much so rapidly without some sort of manipulation.. It is not normal for sure to have such a large change so quickly and it was ordered by the PM to do something to increase the value of the baht last month. The comment about China is bulls__t because they are still locking down many places in cities. My friend there has been in lockdown for a couple weeks already just because someone in their neighborhood was tested positive for covid. Also, anyone who travels into China is faced with 5 days quarantine at their government centers and then home self isolation. This was in the news last week. Who would take a week holiday only to be quarantined for another week or 2 returning home? 

China did not reduce its Covid-19 response they just changed some things about it that still makes it a Zero Covid policy and easier for them to lock things down. They did cut time for quarantine down to 5 days, but it is still a Zero covid policy. Some folks think this is allowing for international travel....sigh.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-covid-policy-how-measures-have-changed-2022-11-11/

Yet cases are still rising.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/chinas-covid-cases-rise-record-daily-numbers-seen-beijing-other-cities-2022-11-13/

So how this can make the baht stronger is a mystery to me.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

Just now, thesetat said:

You misread my comment. I said the Chinese ARE still locking down millions as you agree with.

The actual increase in SS is 8.7%. It's not the biggest increase ever. Back in 1980 it rose 14.3% followed by 11.2% the following year. I actually had CD's that were pulling in over 18% back then. I should have loaded up on annuities but I was clueless about them and far too young.

• Like 1

Just now, jaywalker2 said:

Has inflation remained low? Food prices have soared and the rent demanded for vacant condos seems to have exceeded precovid levels. Am I imagining all of this?

No, you aren't imagining it. Rents are ridiculous in many places. It's beginning to stabilize tho.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

It is not a soaring baht, it's a weakening dollar - no surprise considering the gains the dollar has made this year!

All major currencies have made gains against the dollar during this time. In the past month the baht is weaker against the GBP and almost the same against the Euro.

It does appear that Thai financiers only seem to think there are only two currencies in the world!

No it's not, virtually every currency has fallen against the baht over recent weeks, the Pound, Euro, Aussie Dollar, even the Rupee.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, HuskerDo2 said:

No, you aren't imagining it. Rents are ridiculous in many places. It's beginning to stabilize tho.

My rent hasn't gone up, but that would be the penalty of stupidity.

What the self appointed gurus said when I built my house in 2009.

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

My rent hasn't gone up, but that would be the penalty of stupidity.

What the self appointed gurus said when I built my house in 2009.

$1000 Invested In This Stock 13 Years Ago Would Be Worth $7,700 Today....how does your house price compare?

• Haha 2