Wife's brother-in-law set fire to our land

nerjaron

BIL is really your WBF (I'll let you/others decipher the obvious 555).????

But really, you can either bleat along permanently like a good falang husband simp sheep, or ball up and set boundaries (literally and figuratively).  Politely of course. If that doesn't work.....the Philippines' official slogan is "It's better in the Philippines" and quite frankly most of my friends who married Filipinas don't have these specific TITssues.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

For us actually living here in Thailand there is certainlya fourth option. Just confront the guy yourself when he is in action and just quite him down, silence him with gestures if you cant the lingo.... Make it clear what you think about it and his mingeling in your business...

And what do you expect will happen after that?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am not Thai. I do not follow much of the Thai culture, nor do I care. I do what is right and if I step on some feet, well too bad. Confront him and if he loses face he likely won't come back. Even Thai culture is redefining itself with the new generations. 

If eventually he burns down your house will he pay?

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

"I oversaw the whole building project from start to finish.  I even helped with some of the land clearance.  I deserve to be compensated for my time."

Heh, this is how it is in Thai education. During activities and English camps they're all playing on their phones, while 1-2 teachers do the work. But when it's all over they'll join in the group selfie, and all even likely get impressive looking certificates for it too.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This thread should be a chapter in the next  * advice to falang in Thailand, pretty dancer II* book.   

The only other foreigner married to a Thai from my wife's village had similar issues with his FIL.  He put his foot down.  FIL was acting like construction foreman. And making changes to do things his way.   Things were still tense  between falang and fiL as he moved in but I imagine things will smooth out.  

You got to realize that a new home construction is a big deal in most Thai villages.  I even went to look. Especially for a family member who has falang paying.   The lucky Thai gal in village.   

But also your bro in laws house building experience is based on old village standards and he probably can't control heady sub contractors.   

My bro in law  50, does work on houses but his methods are so old school and wrong and he is the best in the area.   Spending 22 days around his various projects we grew a bond and I showed him a few tips and slowly , gently, he learned maybe all falang not dumb.    I did little things at first.  Foreseeing that they would need stakes and a hammer to shore up cement forms during a pour, before they saw the need.  And then they needed something and used all of the pile I brought and I saw lightbulbs going off in him and  the workers heads. Respect only comes by action.  Another project I  showed him how to back butter the first tile and was happy to see near completion that  he made this his new method.   It was obvious that it was a better method as there was no adhesion when I stopped him and, at risk of a fight if I wasn't his bro in law,  pulled up his first tile.

On a house footing job I  Showed him the 345 triangle square method and one of his workers was like yes as he knew about it.   I carefully showed him how accurate it can be.  This was on string lines laying out pillar footings for a house build.  For the footings his 20mm in 15 m error was ok but for the final pillar and steel placement hopefully he used this trick.  He did have a laser level.  But his tool box so sparse.  After you see the benefits of a laser  you can't go without. 

Just asked my wife and she says she could tell her bro in law to stay away.  But I'm doubtful.   I would be onsite for any construction and it is standard advice but also Ihave read so many times not to build in wife's village.  It would take some convincing but I would build some 10 km away , I ever move there,  minimum but also near a larger isaan small city or better in a cooler location with a sea breeze,  where a  man's movements would have some privacy.   

I say buy new fencing and let him build it free per your drawings.  I don't think you will stop his help completely.   The Pattaya idea is sound as you do have 1000 options as the saying goes and it is true. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

There probably will be no way to keep the in laws completely out of this situation as they will just go behind your back while your not there as they are "just trying to help". 

I would take a different approach to this which has worked for me in similar situations.

First talk to the wife and explain that its best to only have changes come from you or her directly to the contractors after discussing it with each other first to make sure things are done properly and to avoid confusing the contractors or causing unnecessary expenses. Remind her you're trying to make her "dream" come thru with this but you and her need to work together to do that.

Second talk to the contractors building the house to not act on any instructions from the BIL or they will not be paid for changes coming from anyone other than you.

Then talk to the BIL and other family and thank them for watching out, keep in mind about him\them not losing face on this. That alone will go a long way now and in the future.  Ask him to only come to you or the wife first and not the contractors IF he sees something questionable going on so you can check and make sure it gets fixed correctly with the contractors. 

Short of that if the wife can't stand up for your relationship perimeters  with her family, (which sounds to be the case), then you've lost and won't even know it in most situations. Not sure what to do with that as its out of your control, just have to deal with it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Go alone to Pattaya for a week or twos holiday.

No funding for the misses and home while you're away.

Just the threat of that removed my MiL from our family home.

Money Vs parents/siblings = money wins every time.

Yep hit the nail on the head there,   Blood is thicker than water, but money is a damn sight thicker than blood. 

Pattaya trip is pretty much guaranteed to work   Other than that he could buy a big dog, Invent a ghost story , or he could divert his construction resources to building a wall and a gate  (he should have done that first and he will have to do it eventually) so that looks favorite to me,

He could try embracing the situation and including them in the project, by assigning them some small tasks to help out.. that will also get rid of them

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Go and tell the guy yourself .

Stop using your Wife as a middle man and go and speak to the BiL yourself , take your wife along to interpret if necessary 

Not a bad idea although as someone else has said you won't know what's said.

I've noticed that what needs 2 or 3 sentences in English takes about 10 to 20 minutes in Thai. No wonder it's so difficult to learn.

It works the other way as well. 5 minutes talking to someone in the market is translated to "Her daughter has foreigner husband from Germany. They live in Bangkok and are coming home for Songkran."

You could try writing it down so you can translate it but you don't know if your wife will say something else later.

You're in a difficult position as I assume your in laws are older than you wife and maybe older than you.  There is a certain reverence for age but a lot of so called 'Thai Culture' and culture in general to be honest is used when it's convenient.

Best of luck