Thailand’s heatwave nears end, rainy season looms

webfact

Well, it thundered and sprinkled today out here in Phutthamonthon. Hope it isn't finished. Nice to sit in the office with the windows open, the air quality fairly good, and a cool(ish) breeze blowing in through the verandah.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

What heatwave? Rainy season looms but officially doesn't start until July. Oh dear! Here's my weather forecast for a year.. Hot. Remaing hot. Will become hot and humid. Will be hot, humid and sometimes wet with storms. Will cool down. Will become hot again.

Last few days in my neck of the woods has been 41C mid afternoon and very humid.

Today Mon, it's overcast for the first time in a long time with a fair breeze and I can hear a rumble of thunder off in the distance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

What heatwave? Rainy season looms but officially doesn't start until July. Oh dear! Here's my weather forecast for a year.. Hot. Remaing hot. Will become hot and humid. Will be hot, humid and sometimes wet with storms. Will cool down. Will become hot again.

you too are a genius.....  it rained 2 days ago so I kinda suspect the season is changing.. this, combined with the last 1000 years of season timing change is interesting , however, as I am programed to wait for this amazing revellation and deduction of the highly paid profetionals.. I now see it is true.....  its so lucky we have these pros to inform us (days after) about these things. Worth thair salaries indeed..    (anyway, my frogs in the weed be outside accuratly croak according to what rainfall to expext..  we should promote them to head meatorogist and give them a payraise)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Last few days in my neck of the woods has been 41C mid afternoon and very humid.

Today Mon, it's overcast for the first time in a long time with a fair breeze and I can hear a rumble of thunder off in the distance.

Yeh mate. The long horrible build up to the wet season is starting. Few storms here and there and stinking hot and humid in between until the real rains start. Who knows when that will be. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Seeall said:

you too are a genius.....  it rained 2 days ago so I kinda suspect the season is changing.. this, combined with the last 1000 years of season timing change is interesting , however, as I am programed to wait for this amazing revellation and deduction of the highly paid profetionals.. I now see it is true.....  its so lucky we have these pros to inform us (days after) about these things. Worth thair salaries indeed..    (anyway, my frogs in the weed be outside accuratly croak according to what rainfall to expext..  we should promote them to head meatorogist and give them a payraise)

I understand tha when it's hot, and when it's hot and humid some people find it a bit challenging to find their sense of homour. As a genius (thanks for that) I suggest a cold beer or two. Maybe something else. Anything that will help you relax. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Thank You,Michael Fish.....

• Haha 2

Left BKK headed back south after a quick trip up. As we pulled out from the condo garage we were hit with loud booms, lightning and serious rain.  It last until we hit Rama 2 around Central Rama 2.  Sunny and blue skies down here in PKK now.  AQI is very good.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

Have been on the edge of thunderstorms for 2 days after a month of 36-39 temperatures. yesterday had a real storm with rain but today back up to 34 with no rain, My take is that wet season is starting but will be a mild one. Last year started in March and was one of the wettest.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Fortunately for everything, nature [and her unpredictable/unmeasured cycles] doesn't adhere to silly human-induced officialdom. 

Nonetheless, my favourite time of the year is upon us - the first waves of the rainy season. Still warm and uplifting humidity. Everything becomes lively....

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

Well, it thundered and sprinkled today out here in Phutthamonthon. Hope it isn't finished. Nice to sit in the office with the windows open, the air quality fairly good, and a cool(ish) breeze blowing in through the verandah.

We had thunder and lightning coming from the south yesterday afternoon and some very welcome rain as well out here in rural Kamphaeng Phet next to the Mae Wong national park.

About 9pm last night there was a lightning strike on a coconut tree in the front garden. A flash and the bang together.

Then a bit more rain and today has been cooler, thank goodness.

• Like 1

Sunday lots of rain in San Sai, Chiang Mai, and lots of hours (5!) waiting for the electricity to come back. Can't they improve the grid so it won't break down due to rain and (some) lightning. Bummer, hate to go to sleep unshowered as even the water supply halted. 

5 hours is so far a record here ever since more than 15 years. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Had an absolute downpour on our house in Pattaya today, then 2 minutes later, sun was out and the roads dry. About as useless for the ground as a drop of cool water from the fridge hitting a boiling kettle

It rained fairly heavily twice today at my place in Pattaya. Puddles of water are still visible. Hopefully it's not just a passing storm. We'll see.

Edited by ozimoron

Dry as a sundried cracked lake bead this morning down here in the Pranburi Area and already 31c at the house.  We do have a slight haze over the Blue Sky and an AQI of 12, so the air still is polluted a tad.  Going to be a scorcher I think, my weather app says its supposed to get to 38c here with the humidity already at 56%

• Like 1

So  they  saw the rain yesterday too. What a relief the midday thunderstorms and afternoon clouds and rain showers was here in the Pattaya area. A cold (well maybe cool)  breeze from outside taking the heat from the house was delicious!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, hotchilli said:

On 4/24/2023 at 3:38 AM, dinsdale said:

The wet always begins in May, not July

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kwilco said:

The wet always begins in May, not July

"In Thailand, Khao Phansa or 'Vassa' takes place in the eighth lunar month, the day after the full moon. The festival marks the start of the rainy season."

It's a quote so I'll source it but this is well known. Leading up to Khao Phansa there will be a story on here about how this marks the begining of the official wet season. Happens every year. It's a bit later this year. August 2. Last year July 14. Yes it will rain before that and yes it will rain in May.

https://www.holidify.com/pages/khao-phansa-1238.html

29 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

"In Thailand, Khao Phansa or 'Vassa' takes place in the eighth lunar month, the day after the full moon. The festival marks the start of the rainy season."

It's a quote so I'll source it but this is well known. Leading up to Khao Phansa there will be a story on here about how this marks the begining of the official wet season. Happens every year. It's a bit later this year. August 2. Last year July 14. Yes it will rain before that and yes it will rain in May.

https://www.holidify.com/pages/khao-phansa-1238.html

March to June is called the hot season. You're  right about Khaopansa...

Meteorological speaking, May is the change from the Northeast to Southwest Monsoon that brings about the wet weather. The change depends on what part of the country you are in....... its more obvious in the South

This year it's very likely to be an El Nino year...... this usually heralds hotter weather and droughts. It can have a dramatic effect on weather around the world.

Edited by kwilco
  • Thumbs Up 1