Increasing the 800K baht requirement for retirement extension?

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i read it too, a Pattaya News article. Hopefully they realise it's a stupid idea as criminals probably have more money than hard working retired folk

Agree, that’s strange. I think the Thais have a stereotype that good people are wealthier. Maybe something to do with merit (you did good things in past lives so are wealthy now) or social class standing (We know where that one comes from).

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It was also front page news yesterday in the publication that cannot be named here.

You can name the Bangkok Post, but unfortunately you cannot link to it or quote from it.

Those restrictions are set by the BP, not by us, and we try to abide by the BP's wishes.

1 minute ago, swissie said:

Let's face it: Long overdue. Increse will come. But for long term residents some "grandfathering" rule will be granted to long term residents.

Otherwise this will easily turn into an "international diplomatic incident", making headlines all over the world.

But: New residents will have to pay more for the right to stay long-term in Thailand. Just a matter of time.

I believe there is already a "grandfathering" for long term expats, still only requiring 400k for retirement extensions.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

I believe there is already a "grandfathering" for long term expats, still only requiring 400k for retirement extensions.

That was previous governments. Under this government of people who have spent their entire lives on army bases the amount was de facto increased by 400k PA (due to requirement to keep 400k in account year 'round) with no grandfathering and Joke and smart people on this board saying there had been no change because it was still only 800k................

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Way back in the last millennium, it was raised to Baht 800 (though I remember not from what).   (Forget all the "adjustments" about it needing to be in the account for month and months.   Those rules came in as groups of farang passed around the same 800.)

At the time it was raised to Baht 800 the grandfather rule applied, i.e. the new amount only applied to those taking a retirement visa for the first time.   For the rest they stayed on the old amount.   Allegedly some needed just 100 though it is doubtful that any of those guys are still breathing. 

What do you think of the chances of Immigration applying that rule this time ?

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

You can name the Bangkok Post, but unfortunately you cannot link to it or quote from it.

Those restrictions are set by the BP, not by us, and we try to abide by the BP's wishes.

Got the same msg from one of your colleagues. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

As long as they endorse or promote the use of agents to bypass the "rules".it won't matter how much they decide to raise the 800k to.

The fees payable,.of course, will rise, or we may see a boom in marriages of convenience even !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Agree, that’s strange. I think the Thais have a stereotype that good people are wealthier. Maybe something to do with merit (you did good things in past lives so are wealthy now) or social class standing (We know where that one comes from).

I think it looks quite typical standard here. When business is going well, we make it as difficult for foreigners as we can without upsetting International media, but during/after crises such as Black May 92, the financial crisis of 1997, Sars, bird flu, Tsunami and Covid, we stand with hat in hand and welcome foreigners. If they was transparent they adapt the visa rules and residence regulations as in the US / Europe then most criminals and a lot of others will think twice. But ????????

Felt

• Confused 2