Are you struggling in Thailand?

Celsius

21 hours ago, Celsius said:

Like.....are you short on cash?

Nope. Continuing with the sustainable $2200 USD transfer monthly and enjoying the 36+ baht exchange rate.

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am struggling in Australia. Cold, and expensive. Two weeks to go, and I will be back in Thailand.

People are really struggling here. Rental costs have skyrocketed.

Many in the working middle class in western nations are being outpaced in their own countries and seeking retirement in lower cost countries. I am one of those "economic refugees".

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

Many in the working middle class in western nations are being outpaced in their own countries and seeking retirement in lower cost countries. I am one of those "economic refugees".

100% agree, same here. Same reason many Burmese seek work in Thailand, they earn three times what they can get in Myanmar.

Rents in Australia may take about 60% of age pension income. In Thailand, it's less than 15%.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bob smith said:

it’s not that great anymore mate!

much love!

BOB.

It is for that emergency point of use

Nothing worldwide comes close......999 Ambulance calls (post Covid) are back to their 5 minutes arrival target

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

No rent to pay, no eating or drinking out. I pay for internet, Lecky, cigarettes, 2 large Leos every night, Netflix, cook at home, order frozen food every month around 2k, some cheap brick weed, and to keep within my budget still give my wife an allowance every month, she buys mainly her own stuff clothes, food she likes etc. cat and dog food, 25k max a month. about 10-20k a year on my car, and I only use that to go shopping. 

Brian I really feel empathy for you darl

Smoking  ,drinking and eating frozen food and sitting in front of Netflix 

Can only imagine what you must look like , sorry had to say it, I'm sad to think, please change your lifestyle Brian ,I care for you and love you on here 

I don't want to see you go off the forum with a stroke or heart attack 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Can only imagine what you must look like , sorry had to say it, I'm sad to think, please change your lifestyle Brian ,I care for you and love you on here 

Thank you for your concern, I'm not overweight by long chalk, 60kilo max, I eat quite healthy food, it takes me about an hour to drink one big beer, can't walk very far, buggered painful hips from a broken pelvis many years ago , Tonight dinner is lamb pasty with extra veg on the side, followed by a 0% fat fruit yoghurt. Yes smoking is my bad habit 1 pack a day. I live what I consider a normal life in the evenings watch TV, bed by 10pm I'm 73 very soon. Just because I live in Thailand I don't have the need to go to bars anymore. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Do your solar panels run your air conditioning for free in this heat? I agree with you, especially if single. It's stepchildren and neices and nephews that can cost with university and college fees, living away from home expenses and their vehicles. Fortunately, mine are satisfied with 20 year old cars and pickups. However, the Mrs feels sorry for friends and neighbours and gives many interest free loans. She complains to me when they don't repay!  

I don't know about the AC, I paid for it about 10 years ago, my wifes son is a solar panel engineer and he fitted it I just give her a token amount every month for the electric bills. She has her money and I have mine though that is not to say that we don't sometimes spend our money on each other.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Thank you for your concern, I'm not overweight by long chalk, 60kilo max, I eat quite healthy food, it takes me about an hour to drink one big beer, can't walk very far, buggered painful hips from a broken pelvis many years ago , Tonight dinner is lamb pasty with extra veg on the side, followed by a 0% fat fruit yoghurt. Yes smoking is my bad habit 1 pack a day. I live what I consider a normal life in the evenings watch TV, bed by 10pm I'm 73 very soon. Just because I live in Thailand I don't have the need to go to bars anymore. 

60kg? Man, that's extremely trim. Maybe height has something to do with it?

49 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I agree! If Brian could cut down on only one thing and if that was cigarettes that would be great.

20 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

No Olde Brit should ever move to a country where he or she can't access the NHS.  The greatest healthcare system in the world and I say that as an American. We envy you.

Thailand?   sure isn't the place for old men,ex pats that is

India gave me longer time span there in TH,It saved my life by early detection of cancer, scanned every couple of years, and prostate operation there too, private hospital, excellent

Edited by Tiber

5 hours ago, digger70 said:

Why not?  A lot of people only spend their money on what they need not just wasting money because they have it on sh!t what they don't need /Just want.

Because my family needs are way more than 40K. I rent a 6 room house with garden in Bangkok. One kids going to a good school, the other to a good university. We like good international food. I like a nice drink and smoke cigars. I don't call that wasting money, it is enjoying live. I save more than 40K a month. 

• Thanks 1

I thought he meant struggling with the heat.

These days, at least this week, it's been hotter, for a longer-stretch, than I can recall in the recent past.

Everyday, over 40 degrees C.

And, the hottest part of the day comes at around 5:00 PM.

When the temps stop at 38 degrees, I am able to go out and walk a few kilometers in the noon-day sun, without a hat, and feel cool as a cucumber.

But, recently, the weather has been so hot that if I were to try this trick this month, I might keel over.

So....the only recourse is for me to remain inside with the ACs going full blast.

I get the temp inside down to about 21 or 20 degrees C, and just gaze outdoors in disgust at the heat and smoke.

Still, I would NOT say that I am struggling.

I would say that I am doing fine!

I feel walled up in my compound, where I am safe, secure, and not struggling to breathe.

I like it like this, when this happens, about once each year.

No problemo....

32 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I thought he meant struggling with the heat.

These days, at least this week, it's been hotter, for a longer-stretch, than I can recall in the recent past.

Everyday, over 40 degrees C.

And, the hottest part of the day comes at around 5:00 PM.

When the temps stop at 38 degrees, I am able to go out and walk a few kilometers in the noon-day sun, without a hat, and feel cool as a cucumber.

But, recently, the weather has been so hot that if I were to try this trick this month, I might keel over.

So....the only recourse is for me to remain inside with the ACs going full blast.

I get the temp inside down to about 21 or 20 degrees C, and just gaze outdoors in disgust at the heat and smoke.

Still, I would NOT say that I am struggling.

I would say that I am doing fine!

I feel walled up in my compound, where I am safe, secure, and not struggling to breathe.

I like it like this, when this happens, about once each year.

No problemo....

I used to dream about cold weather climate, so damned hot. Now I'm in said climate its OK.   Can get away from cold, not so heat

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Two residences, two cars, two scooters. One GF.  Eat out regularly, play golf. Sometimes see troll posts on ASEAN.

I often see posts from would be if they could be characters here.

12 hours ago, brianthainess said:

1.75 Mt I aint no midget, my father was the same its in my genes.

That pack a day also keeps the weight off. Everyone I know who gave up smoking gained a lot of weight. I think when you don't have a cigarette to put in your mouth, you substitute it with food.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

That pack a day also keeps the weight off. Everyone I know who gave up smoking gained a lot of weight. I think when you don't have a cigarette to put in your mouth, you substitute it with food.

More like, now you can actually taste food, and enjoy eating.  I was told, once people quit smoking, many men become gay for the same reason.

Although smoking, after you get cancer, will definitely help you lose weight :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

I do, Herf but you don't. 

Oh but I don't think you do - it was a reference to a well known British comedian, Harry Enfield,who built a series of sketches around a character obsessed with having more money than the others - hence the punchline "Oiy ( Brummie accent) have considerably more money than you!"

Whenever a discussion on personal finances, budgets or living expenses arises here someone (several) will chime in with how do you live on a measly B*000? It contributes nothing to the discussion, purely serves as notice that the poster has more money! Hence the allusion to Harry Enfield.

22 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Because my family needs are way more than 40K. I rent a 6 room house with garden in Bangkok. One kids going to a good school, the other to a good university. We like good international food. I like a nice drink and smoke cigars. I don't call that wasting money, it is enjoying live. I save more than 40K a month. 

Your family Needs  are what you want them to be ,they are never enough if you let them being not enough.