British man assaults Thai village manager

roo860

19 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Sounds like you are trying to shift the blame from the Brit attacker to the Thai who was just doing his job? 

Perhaps that is part of the problem with us, we can not admit when we are in the wrong? Which goes back being “entitled” 

The British man, named Matthew, has been living in the village with his Thai wife for several years. He is known among the security guards as a hot-headed person who frequently causes disturbances.

After being physically assaulted, I’m terrified of this foreigner because I’m old and work alone in the office. If this aggressive resident barges in to yell at me or assault me again, I won’t be able to fight back,” he said.

67 year old smaller Thai man. 

how does '' You have much to learn I,m afraid.....without condoning what this idiot did''  read as if the poster is trying to blame the injured party, i think you are anti expat, and defiantly anti aseannow posters, there are plenty of places to get visa info, if that's what you are after

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, steve187 said:

how does '' You have much to learn I,m afraid.....without condoning what this idiot did''  read as if the poster is trying to blame the injured party, i think you are anti expat, and defiantly anti aseannow posters, there are plenty of places to get visa info, if that's what you are after

Can't we all agree that we all suck, to some degree?  

Except for Sheryl, she's cool. Helped with a secret rash one time.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I remember a period of time when all the trouble was from Australian hells angels. Every nationality gets their moment of infamy.

It was a few Aussie MC gangs including the HAs and the Rebels. Also, it was far from isolated incidents like this one, it was major organised crime.

I remember around 2005, the raids on the MC clubhouses and arrests of the leaders on all channels on Thai TV. 

One of the top boys used to occasionally drink in our bar in Bangkok. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

You have just arrived, let me make a suggestion - learn to read Thai. 

Yes I am doing that. 
กขฃคฅฆงจฉ so far. It is a lot easier than I thought it would be.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, recom273 said:

And two weeks before you arrived it was the Swiss. 

Now its the British.

A nation doesnt produce the characteristics of a person, everyone is different. We all know the old one about selfish Germans, I have never met a German who set their alarm for sunrise to run down to the pool to put a towel on the sunloungers.

Next week it will be someone else's turn, it will be the Russians in Phuket opening businesses, it will be some Danish guy for some reason or maybe the turn Americans renting a luxury villa and loud motorbikes .. I find it easier to just avoid joining the local pastime of racial labelling.

This morning on Thai news drunk Swedish guy stole a motorbike, said people are trying to kill me, and to add insult to injury he was shirtless!😉😉 Will be reported here shortly, I hope. 😊😊

Edited by roo860
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, roo860 said:

This morning on Thai news drunk Swedish guy stole a motorbike, said people are trying to kill me, and to add insult to injury he was shirtless!😉😉 Will be reported here shortly, I hope. 😊😊

They were probably trying to kill him for stealing their motorbike.

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Bloody aussie troublemakers. 🇦🇺🦘🪃😊

Indeed, however in the year-to-date in 2024 surprisingly the Antipodean's haven't even made it into the top 10 of the Hoogans-in-Thailand league table.

17 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

What is it with Brits and violence, is it tought in school ?

It isn't only British people that are violent.  All countries have their violent groups.  But there does seem like a propensity for young British men to want to live out some sort of "East End gangster" fantasy, LARping as a Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels character, when they get drunk.

As someone said, Thailand is a place that attracts this kind of Brit, while you find "Bogans" more common in Bali.

The thing with the British is more an issue with alcohol.  They're wound pretty tight, and there are certain demographic for whom "drinking, f*cking and fighting" form the basis of their masculinity and pastimes.

Brits are actually known as being very polite in most places around the world.  There's just a few places that purposefully market themselves for the "Oi, Oi!  Lads on tour!" types, who go out wearing football shirts with their names on and try to get as drunk as possible.  (Eyebeefa, etc.)

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Not condoning the Brits actions but unprovoked?

Looks like the village manager went over and was asking for it. 

Does anyone really turn around like that and smack someone in the face without provocation?

I think I might do that, but only after I have really had enough of someone - as per normal, maybe this is just a culmination of the manager being a prick over a period of time. You can see him prodding the guy when he's clearly talking to the security guard, looks like he's getting a telephone number as he has his phone in his hand? idk .. just saying, there is usually more to these than a 15 second video clip.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Does anyone really turn around like that and smack someone in the face without provocation?

I think I might do that, but only after I have really had enough of someone - as per normal, maybe this is just a culmination of the manager being a prick over a period of time. You can see him prodding the guy when he's clearly talking to the security guard, looks like he's getting a telephone number as he has his phone in his hand? idk .. just saying, there is usually more to these than a 15 second video clip.

Its a 'sucker punch'...   regardless of what led up to it, its not acceptable behavior in any civilised society. 

That said, you may have a point regarding possible 'lead-up' - we have only seen a 15 second clip, non of the build up or an indication of what may have triggered the assault. Of course, this would not exonerate the violent actions of the Brit, but it may lend to an explanation and soften the resolve of 'hang-him-high-deport-him' responses.

I recall living in a condo in Bangkok and the management committee and security guards were awful, they were rude and at almost every opportunity managed to 'trigger me' into getting annoyed with them. 

We moved out as soon as our lease was up, the whole condo management committee and security team were ultimately changed out after so many complaints - it was quite a toxic, I never understand how other residents let it get that far. 

A few examples below:

- Parcel delivery, reception takes the delivery and the parcel goes straight into the juristic office for storage. 

I go down to collect parcel - they want passport ID, I have Thai DL in my wallet, not good enough. I can see my parcel with my name on it, so I just walk past the counter and take it - (already reached too many situations with these people to accommodate their excessive requests).

- Son (2 years old) playing with a sponge ball in the play area - security comes over and tells us, ball games are banned. I told them to call the police (the play area was a lovely social area for parents to talk while toddlers played).

- Son (2 yrs old) on a balance bike - security comes over and tells us bicycles are not permitted, again, I ignore them.

- Friend arrives, to drop something off for my Wife...  she has a small puppy, steps out of the car with puppy in hand, wife is told we will receive a fine as the Condo has a ban on all pets (the puppy never left her arms).

- Friend visiting, we go to the pool with a couple of beers and are quite rudely told to leave the area as no alcohol is allowed (I'm annoyed at the rude manner in which we were told).

- Another resident (a Military officer) pulls up in his car, wants to nip out and get something from reception, as he does so, security marches over and shouts at him to move his car - Military officer knocks out the security guard. 

- A child threw a paper airplane out of the window of one of the higher floors, this was caught on one of the security cameras - the family were 'fined' for littering (it was about 20,000 baht or something ridiculous, I don't know if they ever paid it).

My point with all of these seemingly insignificant but irritating examples is the manner in which they build up, the underlying tone in which residents were dealt with and spoken 'at'...   sometimes I felt like punching a security guard or one of the management committee when they spoke with me so rudely, of course, I didn't because that would be assault, BUT, it another resident punched a security guard or one of the management committee I'd have been somewhat understanding that there was very likely far more to the story than a 15 second clip might show.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Not condoning the Brits actions but unprovoked?

Looks like the village manager went over and was asking for it. 

It is true that we don’t know the full facts. However, anyone who does their homework on how to live in Thailand knows that hitting a Thai, and an old man at that, will only get you in serious trouble. So you need to keep a calm head all times.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its a 'sucker punch'...   regardless of what led up to it, its not acceptable behavior in any civilised society. 

That said, you may have a point regarding possible 'lead-up' - we have only seen a 15 second clip, non of the build up or an indication of what may have triggered the assault. Of course, this would not exonerate the violent actions of the Brit, but it may lend to an explanation and soften the resolve of 'hang-him-high-deport-him' responses.

I recall living in a condo in Bangkok and the management committee and security guards were awful, they were rude and at almost every opportunity managed to 'trigger me' into getting annoyed with them. 

We moved out as soon as our lease was up, the whole condo management committee and security team were ultimately changed out after so many complaints - it was quite a toxic, I never understand how other residents let it get that far. 

A few examples below:

- Parcel delivery, reception takes the delivery and the parcel goes straight into the juristic office for storage. 

I go down to collect parcel - they want passport ID, I have Thai DL in my wallet, not good enough. I can see my parcel with my name on it, so I just walk past the counter and take it - (already reached too many situations with these people to accommodate their excessive requests).

- Son (2 years old) playing with a sponge ball in the play area - security comes over and tells us, ball games are banned. I told them to call the police (the play area was a lovely social area for parents to talk while toddlers played).

- Son (2 yrs old) on a balance bike - security comes over and tells us bicycles are not permitted, again, I ignore them.

- Friend arrives, to drop something off for my Wife...  she has a small puppy, steps out of the car with puppy in hand, wife is told we will receive a fine as the Condo has a ban on all pets (the puppy never left her arms).

- Friend visiting, we go to the pool with a couple of beers and are quite rudely told to leave the area as no alcohol is allowed (I'm annoyed at the rude manner in which we were told).

- Another resident (a Military officer) pulls up in his car, wants to nip out and get something from reception, as he does so, security marches over and shouts at him to move his car - Military officer knocks out the security guard. 

- A child threw a paper airplane out of the window of one of the higher floors, this was caught on one of the security cameras - the family were 'fined' for littering (it was about 20,000 baht or something ridiculous, I don't know if they ever paid it).

My point with all of these seemingly insignificant but irritating examples is the manner in which they build up, the underlying tone in which residents were dealt with and spoken 'at'...   sometimes I felt like punching a security guard or one of the management committee when they spoke with me so rudely, of course, I didn't because that would be assault, BUT, it another resident punched a security guard or one of the management committee I'd have been somewhat understanding that there was very likely far more to the story than a 15 second clip might show.

I'll be honest if you were in my condo i'd be the first to complain about you. Especially bringing friends up to the pool area and drinking. You simply cannot do that. If you want to do that kind of behaviour then either take them to your room, or go buy your own place.   

If i saw you at my condo, and you had just bought some mates up and were drinking by the pool i'd have a word with you myself. It's a condo, the public spaces are shared by the residents, and they aren't your own personal space. 

No alcohol by pools is shared universally by almost every modern condominium. 

You signed up to the rules too. I see nothing wrong in what the condo implemented. 

Edited by DonniePeverley

On 6/2/2024 at 8:18 AM, MalcolmB said:

... and seem to making up ...

Look at what you just typed.

Now, do you understand what you just typed?

2 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

I'll be honest if you were in my condo i'd be the first to complain about you. Especially bringing friends up to the pool area and drinking. You simply cannot do that. If you want to do that kind of behaviour then either take them to your room, or go buy your own place.   

If i saw you at my condo, and you had just bought some mates up and were drinking by the pool i'd have a word with you myself. It's a condo, the public spaces are shared by the residents, and they aren't your own personal space. 

No alcohol by pools is shared universally by almost every modern condominium. 

You signed up to the rules too. I see nothing wrong in what the condo implemented. 

Are you the same Donnie? You know, the perpetually angry-looking, whiny farang in unit #334?

Asking for a friend.

• Confused 2