Why open a beer bar?

georgegeorgia

Posted (edited)

As wandered aimlessly around the streets of Pattaya last month in my 6 week sentence of boredom ....

I looked to see some beer bars in those complexes Rompho etc busy whilst others night after night had no one 

I used to like a "Aussie";bar in the Rompho complex market in Jomtien sadly the owner was apparently shafted by his girlfriend and lost the bar .

But please don't get me off topic ,I want to know this question and please be direct .

Why does a farang start or buy a beer bar knowing it's higher % to fail ,higher percentage to working hard for the money eg having to be nice to people and talking with often drunk patrons 

Whats the reason and please I'm not trying to be judgemental , 

If I was to buy or start say a beer bar in the Rompho complex Georgie's bar , I know it's in higher statistical analyses it's going to fail or break even perhaps 

So what's the reasons someone would do it ?

Could it perhaps be a hobby ?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

It seemed like a good idea at the time ......

regards Worgeordie

This is the one of the reasons.

May I ask if a Geordie is Scottish, I have in all my wisdom in life heard that description but in my life of wisdom never bothered to research that 

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Cheap beer and staff training would be the reason I am contemplating it.

I do not believe thats true.

Its rather the most expensive beer, or hard work for a cheap beer.

Never seen a successful foreign owned bar without an co owner (foreigner) who work hard to be on top of everything. 

By the way, what kind of bar do op had in mind?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

I think the main mistake I have seen is the choice of women, the lack of staff and lack of consistency.

Hot slim women personally trained by me. 

I guess some think thats exiting

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I would like to start a bar where us academics can meet and talk intelligent intellectual conversations

I know one educated intelligent bar/restaurant hotel owner, but he is not dealing with cheap girlie beer bars. 

And he survived covid keeping most of his staff.

• Love It 1

16 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I know one educated intelligent bar/restaurant hotel owner, but he is not dealing with cheap girlie beer bars. 

And he survived covid keeping most of his staff.

And what topics is he talking about in the bar he has ?

Any topics on The Manila subway or about books on Statistical data?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

This is the one of the reasons.

May I ask if a Geordie is Scottish, I have in all my wisdom in life heard that description but in my life of wisdom never bothered to research that 

No a Geordie is not Scottish ,but hails from Tyneside  , Newcastle on Tyne ...NE England

regards worgeordie

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

And what topics is he talking about in the bar he has ?

Any topics on The Manila subway or about books on Statistical data?

First of all he have been a child of high ranked officials, met world leaders, interested in sports, life, do many different activities and sports, social smart, have energy and good at multitasking. Not many people have those skills, and after one meeting, remembers your name, your gf/wife name, and make sure you feel welcome every time you meet. 

Most important he manage to keep his staff, and thats something rear in Thailand. 

Most complain they train the staff and loose them, he manage to keep them for many years. 

Not to forget, his food is excellent, and he know his business and every little detail. 

• Thumbs Up 2

As wandered aimlessly around the streets of Pattaya last month in my 6 week sentence of boredom ....

I looked to see some beer bars in those complexes Rompho etc busy whilst others night after night had no one 

I used to like a "Aussie";bar in the Rompho complex market in Jomtien sadly the owner was apparently shafted by his girlfriend and lost the bar .

But please don't get me off topic ,I want to know this question and please be direct .

Why does a farang start or buy a beer bar knowing it's higher % to fail ,higher percentage to working hard for the money eg having to be nice to people and talking with often drunk patrons 

Whats the reason and please I'm not trying to be judgemental , 

If I was to buy or start say a beer bar in the Rompho complex Georgie's bar , I know it's in higher statistical analyses it's going to fail or break even perhaps 

So what's the reasons someone would do it ?

Could it perhaps be a hobby ?

You sound like you expect they think about what they are doing.

Think again.

• Haha 1

For someone so full of it (wisdom) you don't half post a load of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Never seen a successful foreign owned bar without an co owner (foreigner) who work hard to be on top of everything. 

Look around a bit, there are many foreign-owned bars that have been successful for many years.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Look around a bit, there are many foreign-owned bars that have been successful for many years.

yes, but they have a good team, have social skills, knows how to handle people, know the business, and willing to work hard to make it work. 

So many just pour money in, and do not walk to extra mile to succeed, because they trust the wrong people to do the work and think they know how to run a business. 

Those with lack of social skills, kill the bar driving the employes and the customers away, 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Why open ?  ... because you're an alcoholic and shouldn't drink & drive :coffee1:

It's a challenge and they enjoy the social aspect of being an owner.  Not for me but I know a couple successful bar owners.  They aren't making a lot but seem happy.  Problem is that most t never  get to enjoy themself because they lack the skills and luck to make it here.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

as well stay out of other mens business when they are in love with your the girls.

Ahhh very important point.

Imagine being a bar owner and ole Trevor on his 2 weeks trip comes to your bar every night and falls in love with Pom the vicious bitch bar girl who had 5 boyfriends....but...you can't say nuthin to Trevor !!

43 minutes ago, Hummin said:

yes, but they have a good team, have social skills, knows how to handle people, know the business, and willing to work hard to make it work. 

So many just pour money in, and do not walk to extra mile to succeed, because they trust the wrong people to do the work and think they know how to run a business. 

Those with lack of social skills, kill the bar driving the employes and the customers away, 

Yes I think as a farang bar owner YOU have to be there in your own business everyday!

I recall an Irish bar many moons ago in Pattaya that failed as the farang owner didn't attend