Do you ever feel like a prisoner in Thailand?

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Plenty of places as in africa, or a country with drug cartels or like kazachstan? Very few places in reality except if it is nearby here.

As I said SE Asia, Malaysia would be first choice.

Just now, Stocky said:

As I said SE Asia, Malaysia would be first choice.

Seems the most sensible yeah, not sure though, for Thais, to get a long-term visa there. They only get 30 days there too, even Suriname (Netherlands) is a better choice then with beers at 40 baht and 90 days on arrival, no schengen needed, but far away.

3 hours ago, mokwit said:

He doesn't say what he means by inspections. Does he mean come 'round your house (maybe out of the blue)? If it means increased document scrutiny/requirements he doesn't say, other than to mention bank records.

He's just fear mongering. It's good for his business. Best ignore.

I don't feel like a prisoner here, in fact I have enough money to live in many 3rd world countries (I've always fancied Mauritius, pension of $1500 a month gets you there). But I do feel banished from my home country and the rest of the western world by impossible accomodation costs.

Something is gonna snap in the west as homeless numbers rise and rents soar.

Glad I'm not there to see it happening.

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

Not anymore for some of us since the "upgrade" - rejected for BS stated reasons,and it was down for months another time

I haven't done one for a while (travel a lot)...  But I never had an issue with the 90 day report.

But, agree - the government Apps / Pages are not very good. 

I found that I could not use the WebPage to submit - but had no issues using the Section 38 immigration App on my Phone / iPad - when the site was reported down, so there was a work around. 

Have you [mokwit] tried to submit using the Section 38 App ???  

Or what BS reasons were you rejected for ?

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

Apparently they do when you apply for a Non O in country e.g. for a retirement extension and in EVERY case apparently. Not sure they do visits for marriage extensions though.

Interesting - I never knew that and have never read of anyone receiving a visit from Immigration in Bangkok - though I take your word for it. 

Why do they need to Visit for a retirement extension ? I can't see what the need to prove.

I can 'kind of understand' in their mindset the need to 'prove a marriage is genuine' - but still find that highly invasive - I wouldn't be happy letting Immigration Police into my home if it ever came to that.

3 hours ago, mokwit said:

Nope. TM47 wasn't enforced in the nineties ( I was here then, were you?), neither was TM30. TM30 enforcement dates to a few years ago, TM47 rather longer than that. I didn't sign up for this because it wasn't a thing when I arrived. There was no talk of "hunting down" foreigners, either.

Street level Thai people have never been friendlier.

You also didn't need proof of a 90-day report for  a retirement extension

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I haven't done one for a while (travel a lot)...  But I never had an issue with the 90 day report.

But, agree - the government Apps / Pages are not very good. 

I found that I could not use the WebPage to submit - but had no issues using the Section 38 immigration App on my Phone / iPad - when the site was reported down, so there was a work around. 

Have you [mokwit] tried to submit using the Section 38 App ???  

Or what BS reasons were you rejected for ?

Interesting - I never knew that and have never read of anyone receiving a visit from Immigration in Bangkok - though I take your word for it. 

Why do they need to Visit for a retirement extension ? I can't see what the need to prove.

I can 'kind of understand' in their mindset the need to 'prove a marriage is genuine' - but still find that highly invasive - I wouldn't be happy letting Immigration Police into my home if it ever came to that.

Rejection explanation "Your visa category does not comply with the 90-days notification conditions (tourist)."

I have a one year retirement extension. I read no reports of people being able to file using the app with the problems caused by the recent "upgrade" - this is something different from browser problems, it seems there is some kind of data check with wrong info/settings.

The house visits are IMO them just being @n@l about tying us on 1 year extensions down to an address - foreigners on one year extensions became very dangerous under the Prayuth government. Some time after 30 days foreigners who stay here become threats to "national security". I don't see why we should be required to let them into our home either. It is overly intrusive IMO and has no justification IMO, unless perhaps there is grounds for suspicion of a sham marriage for visa purposes. In comparison, for the Police to enter a Thai's home requires a court warrant. To me it is indicative of Thai authorities slipping back into what I call a "provincial" mindset.

Edited by mokwit

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

90 day reports,

arduos visa extensions,

immigration home checks,

(removed)

fear mongering on the evening news about so called 'bad foreigners',

and now there are rumors of immigration spot checks happening at random.

don't believe me?

take a look for yourself!

The line between Thailand & China is becoming increasingly blurred as each day passes..

bob.

I can't see any closed doors, bars, barbed wires or anything else preventing me from taking the next flight or move anywhere.

The question is just nonsense. Join those sitting on the rock of Gibraltar. In the meantime I hope you know what I mean😳

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

If the truth is negative then so be it!

the truth is the truth, positive or negative it is what it is.

bob.

No, 'it is what it is' is always subjective, I for instance like going to my IO, they're a good crowd and we have a good laugh. Some find it nerve wracking. I've only ever had two house visits in 20 years, they last for 10 minutes tops. 90 day reports, once every 3 months, I go in person as the IO is only 20 minutes away from me. Who cares about the news.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

I am really thinking about it.

I'm not sure Mrs. Smith likes the idea though..

bob.

Has she ever watched you glide up and down on the baloney pony? Just curious because she never mentioned anything to me about you doing the tube steak boogie. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bob smith said:

Do you ever feel like a prisoner in Thailand?

Just think about how dumb that idea is when you are living a life in a foreign country by choice, and only because it's a better life than in your own country, and when you can leave at any time. Just another over privileged, self-entitled twaat. 

But if you really feel that way, when your life is already jingle bells, then that sounds like severe mental health issues, and that you are way past your expiration date on living in a foreign country in the developing world. 

Edited by RSD1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Just think about how dumb that idea is when you are living a life in a foreign country by choice, and only because it's a better life than in your own country, and when you can leave at any time. Just another over privileged, self-entitled twaat. 

But if you really feel that way, when your life is already jingle bells, then that sounds like severe mental health issues, and that you are way past your expiration date on living in a foreign country in the developing world. 

I feel like I am increasingly living in police state. It did not used to be like this. It changed while I was here from a free and easy place where they didn't give a damn about us being in Thailand to what it is today. If you had been here 30 years you would see it. As for "Prisoner"? No, but I do feel like someone on parole, I also don't feel comfortable when officials talk about "hunting down" foreigners, or where a special hotline is set up for Thais to report foreigners "acting suspiciously".

That said, when I do my extension at CW if I have the documents it is a formality, and staff are pleasant and have never given me any cause for complaint and I am handed back my passport at the end with my new extension in a way that actually makes me feel like I am welcome.

Edited by mokwit
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

If that is the way you feel then it is probably time for you to leave and go back to your home country.

Easier said than done for those of us who have mopped ourselves into a corner. It's complicated!

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, bob smith said:

90 day reports,

arduos visa extensions,

immigration home checks,

(removed)

fear mongering on the evening news about so called 'bad foreigners',

and now there are rumors of immigration spot checks happening at random.

don't believe me?

take a look for yourself!

bob.

Nope I do not fear them nor feel like they imprison me.

• Agree 1

I feel trapped in the life i built here. It has become unpleasant lately but not to the point yet to leave. especially since my country is a multicultural paradise on the verge of a civil war.

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Bob, we are all worried about you.

You are paranoid, you are worried about nothing. 

Sadly, we have many weak people here that may start to believe you, you never stop. 

Maybe, avoid the bar today mate, go get some help, therapy is waiting for you. 

weak followers is a good way to put it.

we cant compete with bob. the guy who opens his mouth the most has the most influence.

guy's persistent!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

I feel like I am increasingly living in police state. It did not used to be like this. It changed while I was here from a free and easy place where they didn't give a damn about us being in Thailand to what it is today. If you had been here 30 years you would see it. As for "Prisoner"? No, but I do feel like someone on parole, I also don't feel comfortable when officials talk about "hunting down" foreigners, or where a special hotline is set up for Thais to report foreigners "acting suspiciously".

That said, when I do my extension at CW if I have the documents it is a formality, and staff are pleasant and have never given me any cause for complaint and I am handed back my passport at the end with my new extension in a way that actually makes me feel like I am welcome.

Exactly. It's a formality.

The "police state" aspect is because there are some foreigners who are engaging in criminal behavior, therefore they need to keep an eye on everyone because they cannot possibly know who is engaging in criminal behavior unless they keep an eye on everyone. 

So there is no "police state". You only need to worry if you are a criminal. 

I have lived here 36 years , in the same house ,NEVER had a home visit ,90 day report

online takes about 10 mins ,now doing extension takes about 1.5 hours ,once a year ...

more complaining from poor Bob ,he feels victimized ,a prisoner in his own mind....

it's all Thais fault .....for once Bob try and post something uplifting,happy ,& full of joy..

regards Worgeordie 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bob smith said:

as (soon to be) tax paying residents it is our right to whinge!

NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!

You still won't have any rights.

9 hours ago, bob smith said:

as (soon to be) tax paying residents it is our right to whinge!

NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!

signed

bob smith

Correct. If we pay Thai tax like a few Thais do, can we then have the almost free health service, for example. Or does it only work one way with take take take and nothing given back? I mean, fair's fair.

Just now, Yellow Fever said:

Farangs don’t want to hear it but the fact is most Thai’s look down on farangs, women and men alike.. there is a strong dislike of farangs amongst the Thai community.. could be called a racist attitude and honestly it’s not wrong..

farangs haven’t done much to help the situation though, often lusting after bar girls and marrying them, lusting after ladyboys and worse, much much worse.. which I’ve seen with my own two eyes out in the open 

thai’s see farang as an oppurtunity to make a quick buck and it’s always been this way 

Good points.

The other thing to add is farangs don't usually like other farangs because they view them as sexual competitors for bar girls. So they're in this position of not being liked by both locals and farangs 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Good points.

The other thing to add is farangs don't usually like other farangs because they view them as sexual competitors for bar girls. So they're in this position of not being liked by both locals and farangs 

Foreigners are the biggest threat to other foreigners because of dick wads like the guy in the video. Fear sells and that dick wad just wants to scare with lies.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't feel like a prisoner here, in fact I have enough money to live in many 3rd world countries (I've always fancied Mauritius, pension of $1500 a month gets you there).

I stayed in Mauritius for about 4 months after leaving Laos during Covid times. The island is very nice, very safe and nice beaches.  But TBH I found it a little boring after south-east Asia, mostly retired Parisians 🙂

I rented a detached house for about $450 per month, but the hurricanes played havoc with my radio antennas, so I came back to Thailand/Laos!

fef.jpg.3800b5431a92f4a028702df0ea187aaa.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Correct. If we pay Thai tax like a few Thais do, can we then have the almost free health service, for example. Or does it only work one way with take take take and nothing given back? I mean, fair's fair.

Yeah thats mildly annoying, working and paying taxes here still dont get me free health.

3 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Farangs don’t want to hear it but the fact is most Thai’s look down on farangs, women and men alike.. there is a strong dislike of farangs amongst the Thai community.. could be called a racist attitude and honestly it’s not wrong..

farangs haven’t done much to help the situation though, often lusting after bar girls and marrying them, lusting after ladyboys and worse, much much worse.. which I’ve seen with my own two eyes out in the open 

thai’s see farang as an oppurtunity to make a quick buck and it’s always been this way 

3 hours ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Good points.

Check out the troll talking to himself between his two accounts. Posted one right after the other. Shameless.