For those of you who have lived here for years?

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fair enough...   

I had 70sqm condo when alone... that felt about right at the time while single. 

Then I had a 75sqm condo when married, it felt too small and we moved to a 150 sqm condo - that felt about right at the time... 

Now we have 180 sqm house (indoor area) which feels a bit small,  I'd like more garden for BBQ's... 

Sounds a bit like my spouse and myself.  In our 13 years here in Pattaya we have lived in everything from a 48 sqm studio condo to our current house, a 3-bedroom on the Darkside.   Like you, they all 'felt about right at the time', and for our financial circumstances at the time.   We are just finishing construction on our next house, a bigger 4-bedroom with one more bathroom in the same area.  We decided we wanted a home gym and more room for visiting relatives.   As we've gotten older we've chosen more space and privacy over an ocean view.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't worry about it, most likely the status quo remains, of it doesn't I'll worry about it then, next problem?

Yeah I have full confidence that you know how you will feel if you're still in Thailand twenty years from now.

First came to Thailand 45 years ago. Lived here for 21 years. I used to love the bar scene . All changed now. Way too expensive now. Had a business here for 18 years. Wouldn't do anything different. I certainly wouldn't want to  go back to living in the western culture 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/12/2024 at 1:31 PM, Hummin said:

or those of you who have lived here for years, and above 75 years old.

Why put an age limit on your question, I've lived here for 20+ years and I'm only 73 so very young I am.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/12/2024 at 2:54 PM, Hummin said:

or worse you think they are, and they are not, so easy to misunderstand and make confusions, as well say wront things convinced you speaking fluently thai. 

My wife always points out when I meet foreigners who say they speak flyently, they do not, but they are to politie to tell them as well correct them

I wish I spoke much more Thai than my limited amount.  It would make life so much easier but in the end life is good and can't be hassled to learn.  The extra struggles are really not that bad and the locals 99% of the time have no issues figuring out what I want.    Only 57 ( Thailand since 1998 ) so possibly I will put in the effort but doubt it.   

A friend just left that used Google translate and that was entertaining.  It took him 5 minutes to accomplish what I do by grunting and making hand gestures.  Sticking a phone in someone's faces is quite offensive for most is what I determined.  Thais generally didn't  like him and he never got what he wanted.

I wish I spoke much more Thai than my limited amount.  It would make life so much easier but in the end life is good and can't be hassled to learn.  The extra struggles are really not that bad and the locals 99% of the time have no issues figuring out what I want.    Only 57( here since 1998) so possibly I will put in the effort but doubt it.   

Edited by atpeace

25 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Why put an age limit on your question, I've lived here for 20+ years and I'm only 73 so very young I am.

It's open for everyone, but for most life starts to get a bit different when reaching a certain age, and 75 seemed right. I'm aware of some is 80when they are 60, and some is 80 and seems to be in their young 70'ies. 

Just a number

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Another thing is those farang that are fluent in thai of which there are few, many claim to be fluent but aren't really, anyway they are total bores, won't miss an opportunity to try and teach other people words although no one is really interested

I would never ever use the word fluent... to me, that is a very high bar.. I might refer to myself as fluid as I can converse with ease.. I would not teach others words unless they ask - and I get asked to play translator by friends on occasion. 

Now, speaking about bores, for me it is people obsessed with their BMI index and how many reps they do in the gym.... to each his own. 

20 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Now, speaking about bores, for me it is people obsessed with their BMI index and how many reps they do in the gym.... to each his own. 

I haven't been to the gym for years, don't need to, fit and healthy and don't stuff my face with junk food all day

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I haven't been to the gym for years, don't need to, fit and healthy and don't stuff my face with junk food all day

You ride 100km and tell people they are atms for having a partner. Both boring activities.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, susanlea said:

You ride 100km and tell people they are atms for having a partner. Both boring activities.

a boring activity is one of those touristy things you like to do, go to the beach and get a tan

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

you liking waterfalls and beaches is tragic at your age you should have found better things to do

I see 70s and 80s at the beach enjoying themselves. What are these better things? You said your life consists of bike, golf and p4p. What is so amazing about that?

Never too late to chage some bad habbits.....when I see those overweight farangs aged 50 and look 60 drinking themselves to their doom, almost feel sorry for them...or the others,  throwing around money they don't have back home,  with the local female gold diggers....it's just sad...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

Never too late to chage some bad habbits.....when I see those overweight farangs aged 50 and look 60 drinking themselves to their doom, almost feel sorry for them...or the others,  throwing around money they don't have back home,  with the local female gold diggers....it's just sad...

Why is it sad?

I looked at this and then read your responses to9 many responders

Did you just post to criticise, judge and lecture those who have lived here for years?

That's what it looks like .................!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Screaming said:

I find it very interesting how some expats can live in a tiny room and call it home. I am sure they do not live that way back home. It seems that many expats cannot afford to live in Thailand in upscale buildings.

probably many on a pension is all they can afford.... (even though some used to be ex sas or snipers), i met a dude in chumphon a while ago, he was happy as a pig in <deleted> in a 3k a month room, no cooking, just fridge, shower n bed... not how i'd want to spend my twilight days 

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The entire night? Seems excessive. 

I think many older farangs are the same as me. What I used to all night takes me all night to do now.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That only works in more temperate area's of Thailand...   In many area's its just too hot and humid to be outside for any length of time... 

But that's just you,

A few years back I had no problems hiking/jogging/cycling through the jungle/mountains all day.

Now I'm reduced to cycling 25-45km/day but at home the doors and windows are all open all day, every day.

On 7/12/2024 at 2:25 PM, Gandtee said:

Make a serious effort to learn the language. Unless you live in the cities you will wallow without it.

wrong, Have lived here for many years, can get around easily and I live in a small city in the south. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1