Thai Govt Disputes Claims of Deserted Tourist Spots

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

We are busy, we are very busy, people should not forget Thailand is the center of the known universe, and everybody wants to come here. It would be absolutely impossible that things were quiet, people are clamoring to come here, they're coming here by the tens of millions. We're preparing for 150 million tourists annually, within the next few years because we consider our country to be the foremost destination in the world.

So please don't lie and please don't mislead people into thinking that we have a low season, and there are less tourists than normal. Show some respect! If you don't, we might lock you up. 

Did you not notice that TAT are involved in the disputed figures?

Of course you did! Whenever TAT are involved with figures - take with a dose of abundant reservation:-

"Furthermore, Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) officials visited Cha-am Beach, reporting higher activity levels than suggested by viral posts."

"Similarly, at Amphawa Floating Market, TAT representatives observed a steady flow of Thai and international visitors enjoying the market's offerings." 

Edited by sambum
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

They seem a bit touchy about this , just a bit of mumbling on social media and the national government propaganda machine  swings into action,

First off a government  spokesperson  instantly condemns it as fake news,although no suggestion was made as to who might  go to the trouble of inventing such a story or their reasons for doing so.   

Secondly TAT officials were then instructed to write reports confirming this before a few uniformed officers were  despatched to the areas of concern for the sake of appearances

By this time the statisticians are on the case and some % occupancy rates are dreamed up to further reinforce the narrative 

Then the local Mayor chimes in adding some further weight to the message 

Finally the article itself appears to draw its own conclusion, and informs us that everything is fine just like the authorities have said, quoting reliable sources and dismissing other reports as misleading   

• Thumbs Up 1

My best beach experiences were on Surfside near Freeport Texas summer of 83.   I had a carefree intern engineering job at DOW.   Most of the beach was a driving beach.  People took BBQ grills, shade, beer, food, etc.  You could cruise the beach or walk.  There were no vendors.  Lots of bathing beauties to talk to.  Unforgettable smells of chicken being slow cooked on a simple smoker for 2-3 hours.  I actually have one of those brands now.    

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I pass through Cha-am and keep heading further south to some real gems... Cha-am is a train wreck

It's why we live south of Hua Hin, much nicer, always quiet except on holidays. The road from BKK south is a mess and has been for years. We drive up and back to BKK once a month to visit, but it's been a very calm low season down here since we returned from the US. Cha-ams not very pleasant in my book. Good places to eat, a few nice hotels we used to visit but that's it.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

The TAT boys say something which gets published, the factual situation is too embarrassing to be mentioned nor to do anything about it. But the official face remains preserved! 

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Addressing concerns raised by the viral video, Amphawa subdistrict mayor Krittaya Meetawee clarified that the footage captured an area outside the main tourist zone. He reassured that economic challenges faced by some market businesses have been addressed, with operations fully resumed.

Why not share a couple of photos of the bustling main tourist zone?  That will show everyone the truth.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Living here I heard the same complaints in Cha Am.. but tourists are not allowed to bring blanket, chair or whatever on the beach because the stalles and restaurants say so.. Many disputes but the RTP ( of course) doesn't help.... The beach is public but many claim that they have to rent a chair, table or blanket or are not allowed to sit somewhere.... There are always people of course but much much less than previous.. Next thing will be that these restaurants/stalles are starting to complain and ask for help, but they are ones who ruined their own business No need to help them

The photo depicts the beach as I visited  it years ago and Ive no idea why anyone would consider beaches in that  entire area  worth visiting. Total rubbish beaches pretty much all of Prachuap KK...

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

My wife has just landed at Phuket airport, she sent a video it's dead, that's 6-30 pm 

Wish she hadnt come across a lull. Phuket is having the busiest Low Ive seen in 16 years and its mainly Middle Eastern ,  cashed up visitors. And lots of groups of Indian men who dont seem as poor as before either . Its not quiet , its busier than ever before for this time of year , but way quieter than January !

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

We are busy, we are very busy, people should not forget Thailand is the center of the known universe, and everybody wants to come here. It would be absolutely impossible that things were quiet, people are clamoring to come here, they're coming here by the tens of millions. We're preparing for 150 million tourists annually, within the next few years because we consider our country to be the foremost destination in the world.

So please don't lie and please don't mislead people into thinking that we have a low season, and there are less tourists than normal. Show some respect! If you don't, we might lock you up. 

Very droll, Mike. 😋

Of course, if the place were thumping, surely they wouldn't need to give away 60 days to all n sundry? Heading toward lowish season, but still.

Recently came through Suwanaphoom and seemed easier numbers than previous years--both arrivals and departures. Was also in an, albeit not traditionally highly touristed area just now and it was pretty dead. Usually loads of Malay and Chinese visitors milling about. Perhaps the post-COVID surge is about done.

Wouldn't want locals to suffer, but fewer tourists here is a plus, surely.

Only been to Cha Am once years ago and stayed with the relatives in one of those crappy 400 baht a night places right by the beach, The bed stank of piss, can still smell it now whenever Cha Am gets mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was just on Cha-am beach yesterday 15 July.  There were chair vendors that has zero customers, umbrellas never opened…yes it was deserted.  Only the very busiest beach area had any customers, none were busy but were hungry for business…and they appeared to be only domestic tourist.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

Maybe not on the beaches but there were thousands at IconSiam when I went a fortnight ago. All waiting for the evening river boats. We were the last one out and I must have seen about a dozen go before us CP Princess alone had 7 go out that I saw and they can carry 5 - 6 hundred passengers.

First interaction I have had with tourists in a long time, never again, too old for the crowds and the noise.

Bangkok is busy , but there’s a reason, lots to do there, great restaurants, fantastic Malls, sky train, and tho people complain I take a lot of taxis when there ( often) and never had a problem. Ok, maybe not always a meter running, but they’re dead cheap compared to Pattaya or Phuket. I always find something new or discover especially over the other side of the river , and often enjoy my evening cocktails top floor of Iconsiam and  live music. Christmas and new year is great there. Great choice of  food on the basement floors’of Paragon, Central etc too. 
Cha Am is a bit of a dump if you ask me.  Give me Jomtien with a great pool any day given the choice.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

I visited Cha-am beach 2 years ago, sorry to say place was a dive. Crappy beach and forshore. Not on my list to revisit.

I thought it was pretty nice when I went there last year.  Only went for a day trip but I plan to spend a few nights there this year.  Beach is underrated imo so no idea what you are going on about.  Probably little or night life to speak of but I am not interested in that anyways.

Edited by shdmn

I can go mid week and show it as being deserted then i can go a few days later at the weekend and it would be bustling, easy to cook the figures and show it either way, cha am isn’t a huge attraction to visiting foreigners mainly local visitors taking advantage of its relatively close proximity to bangkok at the weekends, can be busy in the week but that’s mainly government departments wasting tax payers money holding “seminars” by the beach

14 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Very droll, Mike. 😋

Of course, if the place were thumping, surely they wouldn't need to give away 60 days to all n sundry? Heading toward lowish season, but still.

Recently came through Suwanaphoom and seemed easier numbers than previous years--both arrivals and departures. Was also in an, albeit not traditionally highly touristed area just now and it was pretty dead. Usually loads of Malay and Chinese visitors milling about. Perhaps the post-COVID surge is about done.

Wouldn't want locals to suffer, but fewer tourists here is a plus, surely.

I agree. And this was just an attempt at satire. 

20 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm… the govt will claim that black

is white, that up is down when it suits them. So what does this prove?

it proves that what you say may be correct

13 hours ago, geisha said:

Bangkok is busy , but there’s a reason, lots to do there, great restaurants, fantastic Malls, sky train, and tho people complain I take a lot of taxis when there ( often) and never had a problem. Ok, maybe not always a meter running, but they’re dead cheap compared to Pattaya or Phuket. I always find something new or discover especially over the other side of the river , and often enjoy my evening cocktails top floor of Iconsiam and  live music. Christmas and new year is great there. Great choice of  food on the basement floors’of Paragon, Central etc too. 
Cha Am is a bit of a dump if you ask me.  Give me Jomtien with a great pool any day given the choice.

Only ever went to Cha Am once, same with Ampawa, both were about 20 years ago so don't remember a lot. Not very impressed with HH either.

I live on the outskirts of Chonburi city so have quite a lot within striking distance. My neice did an internship at the hospital just along from Iconsiam and hadn't been to Bangkok since she finished a few years back so just had a couple of days. Stayed at the Ibiss Riverside, left the car and just went along the river. That is the cheapest way to travel. Went from Sathorn to pier 22(MRT?), 30 baht on the electric boat with aircon.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Only ever went to Cha Am once, same with Ampawa, both were about 20 years ago so don't remember a lot. Not very impressed with HH either.

I live on the outskirts of Chonburi city so have quite a lot within striking distance. My neice did an internship at the hospital just along from Iconsiam and hadn't been to Bangkok since she finished a few years back so just had a couple of days. Stayed at the Ibiss Riverside, left the car and just went along the river. That is the cheapest way to travel. Went from Sathorn to pier 22(MRT?), 30 baht on the electric boat with aircon.

Hua Hin is a very decent town, pleasant people, some bars, good food, beaches are not great, but they're okay. There are some very nice resorts, and it's a fun place to hang out. I like the ex-pat population there. Older, and more affluent.

Cha-am on the other hand is just awful, there's just nothing there. It reminds me of Coney Island or Kuta in Bali. Yikes. 

• Like 1