What Lifestyle Changes Have You Made to Improve Your Health After 40?

54 minutes ago, BigStar said:

An exercise bike makes that problem go away. You can do it indoors in the aircon while watching a video or listening to music w/o worry about distractions. You can do a session of intervals in as little as ten minutes. Call it hill climbing. Nothing like intervals to teach a man humility.

Good point although I'd rather go outside to exercise.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BigStar said:

An exercise bike makes that problem go away. You can do it indoors in the aircon while watching a video or listening to music w/o worry about distractions. You can do a session of intervals in as little as ten minutes. Call it hill climbing. Nothing like intervals to teach a man humility.

27 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I would under the right conditions. You know, factors like weather, traffic, convenience, equipment, etc. I've done more than my share of it in the past. Even so, the benefits/(time + effort) is almost always lower than achievable at home or at a gym. One can point out that intensity involves more effort, and it does. Mercifully, it's quickly over. 🙂 

You have answered your own question.

If you have a regular regime of exercise and a controlled and balanced diet, you are most of the way there!

I started in my mid-thirties the same thing - now I am 79 and kept everything going and have perfect health.

Keep yourself motivated. Good Luck!

• Agree 1

Everything in moderation, half decent diet, right mind. If you can't exercise, at least stretch. Would posit minimising stress being number one since it taxes the whole system. And yeah, regular smoking ain't good.

• Agree 1

On 8/7/2024 at 3:48 PM, marin said:

Seems to me you answered your own question. 

I think you would be better doing swimming and/or cycling, running puts a lot of pressure on your knees and ankles especially starting from scratch after 40 years of the lifestyle you had. Good luck with your changes, you will be greatful for it in later life.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Would posit minimising stress being number one since it taxes the whole system.

Traditionally, our ANF Life Coaches have defined exercise and dieting as the stress to be avoided. Posters in this thread seem pretty sensible, however.

On 8/9/2024 at 11:59 AM, Lacessit said:

I gave up smoking just before age 40. My lung capacity went progressively from 3.5 litres to 5.5 litres a year later.

I have always exercised, but I have made it systematic over the last 4-5 years.

Peak weight was 100 kg. Got it down to 78 kg, now back to 84 kg. The 78 kg was with zero sugar, and low carb vegetables. Very boring.

Stopped drinking alcohol 18 months ago. Don't miss it. Never was a big drinker anyway.

Blood pressure normal, resting pulse rate 60 bpm.

I have had 4 forms of cancer. IMO I survived them all because I try to stay healthy, with diet and exercise.

There's a massive tome put out by the World Health Organization called "Food, Nutrition, and Cancer".

It's astonishing how often alcohol and obesity get mentioned, as statistically correlated with the various forms of cancer.

I read your post about all your weight changes, but you don't mention your height, I notice a lot of posters on posts like this always talk about their weight, but it means nothing if you don't mention your height.

On 8/9/2024 at 12:22 PM, Freddy42OZ said:

The chocolate is only 8 g per day

I eat maybe 8 cheese slices a week (one of the few processed things I eat)

What I need to do is some exercise.  I walk from Udomsuk to On Nut twice a week to buy my chicken fillets.  And I walk a lot generally as I don't use motobikes.

But I find working out on my own to be boring. I have a gym and pool that are less than 20 feet from my condo unit, but I never use them.

When you go on your walks don't you have to watch for the bad state of the pavements and watching for the ignorant Sucm riding their motorbikes when you are walking?

79 years on this planet, 179 cm, 73 kg, cycling 100-120 km trips a couple of times a week. Heart beating around 45-47 times a minute, in rest. No smoking (never did), an occasional glass of wine or beer, almost no meats but lots of vegetables and a supplementary daily protein drink. I had a heart attack 3 years ago from which I recovered well. Some prostate problems though, as most men my age……

Cycling is a great way to get - and stay - in shape; a lot better for the old joints than running,,,,,,,,,,, 

Edited by damascase

On 8/10/2024 at 8:54 AM, Freddy42OZ said:

Yes, I know this.  Fat is important for a lot of bodily functions. 

I do intermittent fasting, not always but periodically.  To kickstart my weightloss I did one meal a day, for a few months, which mean't I didn't eat anything for 23 hours and 30 mins, then ate one meal that took about 30 mins to eat.   I weighed everything and used chatgpt to find out what my macros were (how much protein, carbs, fat, as well as the minerals in what I was eating).   

I no longer need to weigh things although if I add a new food to my menu I'll weigh it to check.  

I cut out almost all sugary foods and drinks from my diet several years ago, most of my carbs come from fresh, steamed veggies.  I eat a small amount of very dark choc for the antioxidants.

I'm trying to increase my fiber intake at the moment.  I have started mixing a tablespoon of Psyllium Husk into a small serving of plain yoghurt but I need to find more natural ways to get fiber into my diet without adding calories.

My waistline has gone from a high of 34" down to 31" 

The measurement of your wastline means nothing if we don't know your height. I'm 6ft tall with a waistline of 34ins the same as your high, so I would assume you are a bit smaller than me.

31 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I think you would be better doing swimming and/or cycling, running puts a lot of pressure on your knees and ankles especially starting from scratch after 40 years of the lifestyle you had. Good luck with your changes, you will be greatful for it in later life.

Swimming is fine, IF you have a pool nearby, Cycling is OK if you live in a rural area with not a lot of traffic, IF you have good balance and always carry your mobile just in case you need help.

At 80 I try to get around 1 hour exercise per day at home using the UK NHS websites      " Exercises for the elderly", also their 2 breathing exercises.

They are free. and available on any internet search. I used Google to find them. I also try to keep up with outside odd jobs that I can do. Climbing stepladders for me is OK up tp 3 steps, but past that point I have a balance problem am I am not too happy past that point.

• Thumbs Up 1

I listen to my body. And as a consequence of that I have a little less of this or nothing or that.

I still drink alcohol. But there was a time when I could drink all night and work the next day, and all was fine. Not anymore. If now I drink "a lot", then I am tired most of the next day, I don't feel bad, but also not particularly good. For that reason, I drink now less often and fewer drinks.

It seems my body disagrees with some food, i.e. mayonnaise. So, I try to avoid it, most of the time.

I am sure there are many other food and drink items which I found out over the years don't make me feel good when I consume them or maybe hours or a day later. So, I avoid them.

I don't do any of the "this is good for you or that is bad for you" things. We are all different. Some of us like a lot of fruits, others lots of meat, whatever. Eat what you like and listen to your body. Your body will tell you what you want/need and what is not so good.

And, at least IMHO, relax and don't make your life miserable. I prefer dying with a tub of ice-cream with 70 compared to eating only healthy tofu with 80.

Ice.thumb.jpg.52b21cd5af5b237bc0ec02b75d2a1669.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I read your post about all your weight changes, but you don't mention your height, I notice a lot of posters on posts like this always talk about their weight, but it means nothing if you don't mention your height.

1.8 metres.

On 8/11/2024 at 12:44 PM, anyone said:

It's all a mouse fuss. I have read many times how absolutely healthy people (champions etc.) die within one day. No one has yet canceled blood clots.

You're in good company. ANF Poster Longevity Science has always postulated three Fatalistic principles, among others. You'll often find advocates popping up in health-related threads.

8.  What, me worry? I: The genes

It’s all me genes. Git nekkid!

9.  What, me worry? II: Fate

It’s all me fate. Might be hit by a lorry tomorrow. Get nekkid!

10. What, me worry? III: The French Salute

Woe is me; g'bye cruel world.

And we typically have invocations to The Guys: I know some guys who seemed healthy but have already died. And The Relative: A relative of mine did nothing special and lived to 95. So I probably will too. And then there's always the George Burns Hail Mary: George Burns drank and smoke but lived to 100. So I can too.

These are all just excuses.

Mark Baker's advice:

. . make sure you keep healthy, because health is your supreme asset. If you’re ill your life is f**ked. Most people don’t become ill for no reason; it’s the consequence of being a w.a.nker, not caring about their physical condition or what they eat. Your life is f**ked anyway because you’re going to die; but don’t accelerate the d.a.mn process! Leave that to the morons who blame their genetics or hormones for their illnesses. Keep strong, build muscle, face physical tests and challenges.

--Gang Fit (Part 2)

25 minutes ago, BigStar said:

You're in good company. ANF Poster Longevity Science has always postulated three Fatalistic principles, among others. You'll often find advocates popping up in health-related threads.

8.  What, me worry? I: The genes

It’s all me genes. Git nekkid!

9.  What, me worry? II: Fate

It’s all me fate. Might be hit by a lorry tomorrow. Get nekkid!

10. What, me worry? III: The French Salute

Woe is me; g'bye cruel world.

And we typically have invocations to The Guys: I know some guys who seemed healthy but have already died. And The Relative: A relative of mine did nothing special and lived to 95. So I probably will too. And then there's always the George Burns Hail Mary: George Burns drank and smoke but lived to 100. So I can too.

These are all just excuses.

Mark Baker's advice:

. . make sure you keep healthy, because health is your supreme asset. If you’re ill your life is f**ked. Most people don’t become ill for no reason; it’s the consequence of being a w.a.nker, not caring about their physical condition or what they eat. Your life is f**ked anyway because you’re going to die; but don’t accelerate the d.a.mn process! Leave that to the morons who blame their genetics or hormones for their illnesses. Keep strong, build muscle, face physical tests and challenges.

--Gang Fit (Part 2)

amen

On 8/7/2024 at 4:20 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Cardio, i go cycling 4 days a week about 100km each time. Also changed diet to high carb low fat, although was generally healthy before, all usual blood markers improved, cholesterol, triglycerides etc.

So at 54 I'm probably fitter and healthier as I've ever been

Intense exercise 5-6 days a week (both cardio and weights) was prob the biggest change. Relatively healthy diet with once a week "cheat" day, maintain optimal weight within 1-2kg, and no more than 2 drinks per week. Plus annual health checks and recommended screenings etc.

On 8/8/2024 at 9:06 AM, Freddy42OZ said:

I have completely quit smoking and alcohol. 

I very rarely eat junk food, I've not had a Pizza in about 4 years, I only eat McDonalds/KFC/etc about once every 6 months (if that). I avoid processed food as much as possible.  

I don't drink soft drinks or juices.  Last time I drank coca-cola was more than 10 years ago.

I drink one cold, black, instant coffee in the morning and one protein drink.

I cook all my meals at home and eat around 400 g or more of poached chicken a day, with steamed vegetables (broccoli, edamame, mushrooms, red & yellow capsicum, carrots, garlic)

I also eat cheese, eggs, mackarel or sardines, plain yoghurt.  I eat a few squares of 85% or higher dark chocolate. Pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds.

I don't have sore knees, back pain or any of the things that I hear guys my age (and younger) complaining about.

I'm 57 and 185 cm tall.  My current body composition is :- 

Top one is BMI.

I'm aiming to get my bodyfat lower, I'd like it to be sub 12% and I want my visceral fat sub 5% 

Just check my blood pressure and it was 101/65 

I usually go to bed around 9:30-10:30 pm and I aim for around 9 hours of sleep, although I do have some prostate issues so I get up 3-4 times a night to urinate, but I fall back asleep quickly.  I get up between 06:30 and 08:30 in the morning. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b97f832df762171fcd0727774aa62901.jpeg

Dairy is bad for your prostate, try to cut down or give it up entirely.

On 8/11/2024 at 12:14 PM, NoshowJones said:

When you go on your walks don't you have to watch for the bad state of the pavements and watching for the ignorant Sucm riding their motorbikes when you are walking?

No. The more uneven the pavement the better as it helps improve your balance and the regular stepping up and down the high curbs also helps with fitness and balance.

Rarely get motorbikes on the pavements and they don't bother me anyway.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Dairy is bad for your prostate, try to cut down or give it up entirely.

I eat maybe 4 cheese slices a week, sometimes 6....   I don't think that is too much cheese.   Some would argue it's isn't even cheese.

However, I did a quick check and I'm not sure there is a correlation, need further study. 

Some studies suggest that eating a lot of dairy, especially high-fat dairy, may increase the risk of prostate cancer in men. However, other studies have found no clear pattern between dairy consumption and prostate cancer risk, and the risk associated with dairy is thought to be small. Some studies may be flawed because it's difficult to accurately measure milk intake, and other lifestyle factors may be linked to prostate cancer instead of milk itself.