Chinese businessman says he was extorted by Thai police

webfact

Chinese Businessman Says He Was Extorted by Thai Police
By Khaosod English

14371244131437124877l.jpg
Yian Tong and his wife Mananthacha Kasema file a complain with Chiang Mai police on 17 July 2015.

CHIANG MAI — A Chinese businessman told police in northern Thailand today that a man who claimed to be a police officer threatened to kill him if he did not fork over 4.3. million baht.

The businessman, Yian Tong, and his Thai wife, Mananthacha Kasema, filed the complaint with the Fifth Region Police in Chiang Mai.

According to Mananthacha, Yian started a tour company and resort in Chiang Mai several years ago, and later leased the business to another Chinese busineman named Tong Wan under a one year-contract. However, six months after the contract started police raided the company for hiring staff without proper work permits and organizing group tours without registering with the Immigration police.

Tong Wan then asked to terminate the contract, and demanded that Yian pay him 4.3 million baht in damages, even though he still owed Yian more than 500,000 baht in rent, Mananthacha said.

"My husband and I didn't break the contract, and we are the victims in this because we don't get rent money from him," Mananthacha said.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1437124413

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-07-17

Edited by Tywais
Khaosod corrected to million

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure this is a fake story. No-one could possibly believe the police, especially that fine body of the thin brown line who hail from Chiang Mai, could ever do anything as low as extort money for looking the other way.

Wow. That is news. The Thai coppers accused of extortion. I am sure that no copper in China would do the same. You need to take a number pal.

So....he should just hand over the money because it happens back home too?

Edited by dotpoom

How is extortion by the Thai police news?

Is there anyone in business here who is NOT being extorted by the thai police ? It always happens late on a friday, around midnight, when you cannot get in touch with your lawyer. They come in, threaten immediate jail if their demands are not met, and not wishing to spend 3 nights in jail you pay up. People say they do this because they are not being paid enough salary, but I say no, they do it because they can :(

Went to Jomtien station about my S-i-L's stolen car. BIB wanted 10K to get off his bottom.

In Krabi they wanted 5000bt to consider my neighbour's stolen motorcycle......and "consider" just about sums up their actions.

I read this story 4 times and I still don't get it Who did what and who is extorting money from whom

This is just bad writing and poor reporting

If you ever do work it out will you let me know ?

last weeek I contacted windows support with a problem I was told my problem was complicated and I would have to pay to get it fixed. Police, fake police, Windows, maybe it's something in the water.

Micro$oft has been doing this for years, their support is not free. Apples and oranges.

"Pol.Maj.Gen. Pacha Rattanapan, the commander of the Fifth Region Police, said he believes Captain Nui is a fake cop, but said the investigation is still ongoing."

Thus far, police involvement in extortion is not verified. But should it be confirmed, then Cpt. Nui and any people complicit a conspiracy for extortion should be held accountable.

At this point the extortion charge is meaningless.