Drunk foreigner hits parked car and runs off into the woods

rooster59

Drunk foreigner hits parked car and runs off into the woods

Pruth Kulprasit

1_201711318239621_gqndYdkestSbzfPSapiGjXshhrVkwYOcPCFnfqSY_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET: A drunk foreigner ditched his car and ran off into the woods after he smashed into a parked vehicle in Kathu yesterday.

Lance Corporal Prawattinun Fuengfoo of Kathu Police received reports from locals at Bang Thong Village, who claimed that they tried to chase down the intoxicated driver of a white Toyota Vios but could not catch him.

“The car was parked in the soi adjacent to the Patong Go-Kart Speedway, but the suspect was nowhere to be found,” Cpl Prawattinun told the Phuket Gazette. “Witnesses said he was under the influence of alcohol, so I called in backup.”

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Drunk-foreigner-hits-parked-car-runs-off/66128?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-01-14

8 minutes ago, hansnl said:

One foreigner does what is done by locals many times.

The foreigner is news, the locals are not.

The foreigner is arrested, the locals are invited to visit the police.

The Thai news programmes on TV are full of videos and stories of locals doing this kind of thing. It's Thaivisa that's chosen to use it because it's a foreigner.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well he has certainly learned something from Thais.

Have an accident then run.

True, he clearly somewhat, well, 'adapted to local customs' which is what you'd rightfully expect of a quality tourist/conscious foreign guest of any kind anyway. 
Just trying to fit in, exactly the often demanded >If In Rome Do It Romanian< ... or somesuch ... what's wrong with that all of a sudden?

That said we also know about local vivid lynch-mob tendencies, so skedaddling might be a 'healthy' decision, depending on what exactly happens and maybe more importantly where and when.
Plus, as the particular chap was not only sauced (see above, adaption etc.) but also a bit stressed out probably, i just don't think his - unsurprisingly not very successful - escape could have been much of a well-thought-out fallback ... 

48 minutes ago, scotchonrocks said:

Thai stopping after accident and rendering assistance would be headline news.

And very possibly breaking the law if not a licensed doctor, certified nurse or aid provider (not the exact term) and poten tially  liable for any harm done rendering assistance.

Nothing new. An year ago my parked car ( Hua Hin, in front of a restaurant) was hit by a drunk Thai taxi driver and then  drove away, I repported it by the police, an officer came and talk to the many witnesses, find out the car license number and the name of the drunk Thai driver and told me to come to the police station next week. I did, but the same officer told me that there are no evidence of who has hit my car. Case closed. 

Move on, this is the beautiful Thailand, just enjoy the sun.

31 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

And very possibly breaking the law if not a licensed doctor, certified nurse or aid provider (not the exact term) and poten tially  liable for any harm done rendering assistance.

How about stopping and telephoning for the police and an ambulance? Or making sure there is no danger of fire? Or ensuring that oncoming traffic are warned?

Or would you be concerned you'd need a work permit?:saai:

46 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

A drunk guy running so fast that no one could catch him?? Something not right here.

Err, if you were a local who had just seen this guy crash his car, (and I'm going to assume the average local would likely be 1. smaller than the foreigner 2. sober 3. wary of confronting a drunk foreigner) would you automatically give chase without knowing what the whole situation was?

41 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

Err, if you were a local who had just seen this guy crash his car, (and I'm going to assume the average local would likely be 1. smaller than the foreigner 2. sober 3. wary of confronting a drunk foreigner) would you automatically give chase without knowing what the whole situation was?

If it was an obvious western guy, yes I would because I hate drunken drivers, or drunken anybody, if he was really drunk, he would not be able to run much at all, and would be easy to catch.

3 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

True, he clearly somewhat, well, 'adapted to local customs' which is what you'd rightfully expect of a quality tourist/conscious foreign guest of any kind anyway. 
Just trying to fit in, exactly the often demanded >If In Rome Do It Romanian< ... or somesuch ... what's wrong with that all of a sudden?

That said we also know about local vivid lynch-mob tendencies, so skedaddling might be a 'healthy' decision, depending on what exactly happens and maybe more importantly where and when.
Plus, as the particular chap was not only sauced (see above, adaption etc.) but also a bit stressed out probably, i just don't think his - unsurprisingly not very successful - escape could have been much of a well-thought-out fallback ... 

No he is not usually have to kill someone to do a runner

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Nope

The "good Samaritan" rule applies in Thailand these days and has done for sometime.

9 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Drink-driving, hope they throw the book at the moron.

That's a bit harsh... He didn't kill anyone, so maybe he could become monk for a few hours and thus clear the slate? Most Thais do this.

1 hour ago, Argus Tuft said:

eeerrr probably i would call over 10 of my friends, pick up some sticks and give the guy a good kicking for fun ...... which is a good motive for running away

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“Witnesses said he was under the influence of alcohol, so I called in backup.”

Amazing how the witnesses were able to breathalyse the suspect and prove that he was over the limit. Why then did they not make a citizens arrest?

49 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

eeerrr probably i would call over 10 of my friends, pick up some sticks and give the guy a good kicking for fun ...... which is a good motive for running away

eeerrrr call over the 10 of your friends who happened to be immediately nearby? Get real.

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

No he is not usually have to kill someone to do a runner

Really? Usually? Well, call it your personal theory.

I observed otherwise, got 2 folks in just immediate neighborhood who were hit & run victims within the last 3 years or so, both on motorbikes vs. cars, both gravely injured.
One seems to have fully recovered, his opponent was determined and had to pay plenty of medical costs but not much more as far as i know, never went to jail for sure.
The other one will be limping for life on a shorter leg, says she's in permanent pain since the day it happened over 2 years ago, no job anymore but therefore high expenses on medical help, her opponent never found despite some witnesses around apparently.

Not 2 months ago some useless winker - tanked full on lao-kao, coming from a day-before funeral - flattened a dog a few meters down the road and damaged 2 cars in broad daylight with his moddabike on high speed, crashed nastily himself of course but was up and racing on in no time. Not the slightest doubt he would have done same if it had been a child instead of the mutt.
This sucker then drove his heap into the roadside ditch only a few hundred meters later on, missing a bend, again on high speed.

Let's just say the dog is still around, well, somewhat, but alcofix went up in smoke for sure as he broke his neck down in that ditch. 

Problem: you can't always rely on Karma. 

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

And folks wonder why Thais dislike some foreigners.

Why is that

He learned it by watching others do the same

If you are going to drink stay at home, it cheaper in every way and you will not wake up the next morning wishing you had stayed at home.

Now wait to see if a certain Mr Someone comes on and says I am wrong on that