Nazi style swastika items showing up more for sale in Pattaya

Jingthing

Just now, Just Weird said:

Quite recently?  What?  The incident you referred to happened over 13 years ago!

Thirteen years. How time flies.

But in the big picture he just empitomises what is actually being thought by many elites that previously were being looked up to.

His Grandfather was a member of SS youth movement.

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not exactly. 

We've already established openly selling Hitler/Nazi stuff is legal here. There was never any question about that!

It's well known sex toys aren't (but are still often enough openly sold). 

Just because openly selling Hitler/Nazi stuff is legal doesn't mean it should be happening. 

"We've already established openly selling Hitler/Nazi stuff is legal here. There was never any question about that!"

Yes there was from some poster whose name I can't be bothered to dig up.

"Just because openly selling Hitler/Nazi stuff is legal doesn't mean it should be happening". 

And just because you don't like it isn't justification for you to declare that it shouldn't be happening!

• Like 1

You are right. It's getting more and more. Though it's a crime in Germany e.g. to wear that it's somehow disgraceful to see this in Thailand. And if you ask the Thais about those "amulets".......they don't know anything about the history of those. (This comes also because they've never been colonized....)

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Thirteen years. How time flies.

But in the big picture he just empitomises what is actually being thought by many elites that previously were being looked up to.

His Grandfather was a member of SS youth movement.

No he doesn't epitomize that, he made an error of judgement when he was a student for which he apologized.  It was nothing more than a thoughtless student prank where he was egged-on by others and severely admonished as a result.

His grandfather is irrelevant to this thread.

20 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No he doesn't epitomize that, he made an error of judgement when he was a student for which he apologized.  It was nothing more than a thoughtless student prank where he was egged-on by others and severely admonished as a result.

His grandfather is irrelevant to this thread.

These royals have watchers and minders in the background. A quiet word should have materilized.

As for his grandfather being in Hitlers SS youth. You are probably right; irrelevant. As was the role of the catholic church, without whose backing, things might have turned out differently and this topic would be irrelevant.    em-cry.jpg.a73a755de236102a99eb16ff7b31311b.jpg

em-cry.jpg

Edited by owl sees all
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"We've already established openly selling Hitler/Nazi stuff is legal here. There was never any question about that!"

Yes there was from some poster whose name I can't be bothered to dig up.

"Just because openly selling Hitler/Nazi stuff is legal doesn't mean it should be happening". 

And just because you don't like it isn't justification for you to declare that it shouldn't be happening!

You're too literal (in a disingenuous game playing way).

I didn't say nobody had a question about legality.

What I meant that it is indeed well known that it  IS legal.

Your other comment, I have a justification to my OPINION that selling merchandise that glorifies Hitler and Nazis should not be OK.  I didn't "declare" any new laws or restrictions.

If you're game is only twisting what I said just to be petty and argumentative, don't even bother further replying. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

On 1/18/2018 at 12:38 AM, Jingthing said:

Yeah, I'm not talking about the Thai youth fashion market. That's really old news and I've actually noticed a DECLINE in Thai youth wearing that stuff from some years back. Not sure why. I can only guess it was just another trend and trends get replaced by new trends. The fashion stuff for youth is sometimes very modern and stylized and couldn't be confused with an attempt at memorabilia copy. I'm really seeing a spike in marketing to tourists of more basic Nazi designs that can't really be seen as a fashion statement. So which tourists?

I do realize that the Thais selling this stuff are only in it for the baht and aren't Nazi propagandists. If items featuring images of vagina shaped  butterflies sold well, they'd be featuring those. The buyers might be another story. 

'Yeah, I'm not talking about the Thai youth fashion market....'.   I understand what you mean.

I wonder how many young folks (world world say under 25 years old) really know much about the WW2 history era involving the swastika?

Then there's the younger generations' focus on themselves, many of them have no conversation other than themselves and the specs of every smartphone and are not interested to learn about anything except items which are self absorbing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

You are right. It's getting more and more. Though it's a crime in Germany e.g. to wear that it's somehow disgraceful to see this in Thailand. And if you ask the Thais about those "amulets".......they don't know anything about the history of those. (This comes also because they've never been colonized....)

Hmm. From the "other" thread. A picture of Hitler, what looks like a Hitler youth neckerchief but not because they didn't wear them and a helmet more likely to be a reproduction than an original.  I don't see how any of those have any form of dubious history. 

Any wrong doings of the past were perpetrated by individuals, not by inanimate objects. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Hmm. From the "other" thread. A picture of Hitler, what looks like a Hitler youth neckerchief but not because they didn't wear them and a helmet more likely to be a reproduction than an original.  I don't see how any of those have any form of dubious history. 

Any wrong doings of the past were perpetrated by individuals, not by inanimate objects. 

Nazis aren't only from history.

Indeed, explicit modern neo-Nazis that direct adopt Hitlerian graphics and obvious cheeky copy Nazis are on the rise in Europe, the USA, and more weirdly even Russia. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, norrska said:

"Nobody" did.  Okay, I guess we know what to call you now, Khun Nobody.  And stop the emotional histrionics.  If you are posting those links, they are for your own benefit (whatever that is), not others who have zero interest in this.

Don't speak on my behalf thanks.

• Thanks 1

People are free to contact Royal Garden to share their opinions, pro or con, about the Nazi/Hitler merch for sale in front of their business. I reckon they might be interested to hear from the public about this. Their public isn't only Thais. It's also international tourists and expats. 

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Back to topic please. No need to further feed the you know whats.

I've just worked out that if you continue as you are the 100k posting barrier will be broken injust 14 months.

Has anyone every got to 100k before?

Someone has to be first.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Selling things glorifying Hitler and Nazis on the street is disgusting.

disgusting to you because you were taught that as a child, Thais dont care, they were brought up believing the swastika has a different meaning. but this just shows my point is correct, if you are brought up to believe things you make the assumption that the rest of the world shares your beliefs. and btw, there seems to be plenty of nazi gear available in the US, I guess the german embassy didnt complain loudly enough, or maybe its that god dam 1st amendment?

Edited by phycokiller
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, phycokiller said:

disgusting to you because you were taught that as a child, Thais dont care, they were brought up believing the swastica has a different menaning. in fact they were on the Nazis side so they may even think its a good thing. but this just shows my point is correct, if you are brought up to believe things you make the assumption that the rest of the world shares your beliefs. and btw, there seems to be plenty of nazi gear available in the US, I guess the german embassy didnt complain loudly enough, or maybe its that god dam 1st amendment?

Nazi/Hitler glorification merch would never be sold in front of major shopping malls in the USA and I'm presuming Europe as well.

You might want to read the O.P. about the suggested focus of this topic. Not Thais so much but about the international people here which are clearly the target market of the type of Nazi glorification merch we're talking about.

The aspect of "Hitler fashion" stuff for Asian youth is a tangential issue. The graphics in that stuff is usually stylized in a way that differentiates it from explicit Nazi merch. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Nazi/Hitler glorification merch would never be sold in front of major shopping malls in the USA and I'm presuming Europe as well.

You might want to read the O.P. about the suggested focus here. Not Thais so much but about the international people here.

not much you can do about it. they sell those shirts with english writing on them but they have no idea of the meaning of the writing. if it sells they will sell it, if people make it known they are boycotting their shops they might remove them but that doesnt seem to be happening. not much else you can do. also nazism is becoming ancient history, theres plenty of other genicides that nobody cares about because they never became fashionable, didnt have fashion sense of the nazis I guess.

7 minutes ago, phycokiller said:

not much you can do about it. they sell those shirts with english writing on them but they have no idea of the meaning of the writing. if it sells they will sell it, if people make it known they are boycotting their shops they might remove them but that doesnt seem to be happening. not much else you can do. also nazism is becoming ancient history, theres plenty of other genicides that nobody cares about because they never became fashionable, didnt have fashion sense of the nazis I guess.

Hitler is dead but Nazism and related ideology is not ancient history.

Yes, you're stating the obvious. If it sells, they will sell it.

I do question whether a large business like Royal Garden really wants to be associated with such inflammatory Hitler/Nazi glorification merch. It's not IN the mall itself but it is on land in front of it (2nd road).

Years ago they had that Ripley's museum there at the same mall and there was a large billboard of full on seig Heiling Hitler on Sukhumwit. I recall the Israeli embassy complained and of course it was removed. That became an embarrassing incident for all of Thailand broadcast internationally. 

This isn't that level of course but it's something. 

Edited by Jingthing

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Flamin' heck...it took you 5 weeks to come up with that?

Where do you get 5 weeks from? I replied as soon as I read the comment.....which was this morning. When you posted it is irrelevant to when I read it and replied. 

"Are they committing an offence by selling them? Hell, yes". They're sullying the memory of the countless tens of millions of people who died to rid the world of the abomination of nazism

Er, hell no!  No offence is being committed.

I'm not talking about a criminal offence. I'm talking about an offence against common decency. Correct, it is not illegal to sell them (in Thailand). You deliberately misquoted me by leaving off part of my statement. I've added it back to the quote above in red. 

"...to rid the world of the abomination of Nazism".

In your naïveté you really think that Nazism was eradicated?

I made no statement anywhere that it has been eradicated. The mere existence of this thread is ample demonstration that it exists.

"This attitude is the one that led the German people to ignore their government's crimes against humanity"

No, it's not!  My attitude is one that allows people to legally sell what they want to sell in their own business and if you don't like it you don't have to patronize the business.

Complacency on the part of the rest of the world allowed the Nazi ideology to flourish. "It's an internal matter"; "it's their business and not ours"; and so on

Edited by revelstone
  • Haha 1

And its all fake so what's the point in buying it unless you share some of the nazi ideology ? I can understand collectors on Ebay that sell and buy old genuine stuff from the war, but all this fake medals, helmets, picture of Hitler, I don' t get it.

• Like 2

And its all fake so what's the point in buying it unless you share some of the nazi ideology ? I can understand collectors on Ebay that sell and buy old genuine stuff from the war, but all this fake medals, helmets, picture of Hitler, I don' t get it.
Very good point.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Don't speak on my behalf thanks.

That was brilliant wit, ever consider stand up?  Anyhow, WW2 is over, the good guys won, the Germans apologized and are a NATO ally and most people have moved on. Not sure why the OP is still obsessing about this, or what this has to do with Thailand.  Maybe start a separate hit and run WW2 thread?

Edited by norrska

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's just a cover for people that like Nazi stuff being sold. 

Citation badly needed.

Somchai is pitching it for now because maybe someone said it was a 'hot' seller at Chatuchak. Then 2 or 3 other stalls will set up selling the same kitch and like pretty much any enterprise in LOS, kill whatever tiny and mostly curious market there was.

The people making this tawdry crap are simply opportunists and the people buying it aren't neo Nazis.

At some point, but probably not in the near future, people just have to get over this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

People are free to contact Royal Garden to share their opinions, pro or con, about the Nazi/Hitler merch for sale in front of their business. I reckon they might be interested to hear from the public about this. Their public isn't only Thais. It's also international tourists and expats. 

Mostly Chinese, Indian and Russian tourists and expats... knock yourself out.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Years ago they had that Ripley's museum there at the same mall and there was a large billboard of full on seig Heiling Hitler on Sukhumwit. I recall the Israeli embassy complained and of course it was removed. That became an embarrassing incident for all of Thailand broadcast internationally. 

It was front page on this forum.

Curb your enthusiasm.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No, no, no!

YOU are free to contact RGP, Minor International or Bill Heinecke.

Stop hectoring. I may be construed as passing the buck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phycokiller said:

Well Hugo Boss did design and manufacture the SS uniforms.