Android boxes now illegal in Thailand

superal

I have just been to an " Advice Shop " and asked them if they had any android boxes . The reply was  " no , they are now illegal to sell in Thailand as instructed by the department of Thai Education , however it is permitted to have and buy a "Smart TV "     Has anyone had the same experience ?

19 hours ago, superal said:

I have just been to an " Advice Shop " and asked them if they had any android boxes . The reply was  " no , they are now illegal to sell in Thailand as instructed by the department of Thai Education , however it is permitted to have and buy a "Smart TV "     Has anyone had the same experience ?

Confused by the controlling body enforcing the ban here. 

31 minutes ago, Pib said:

Can get the police to enforce most laws here; might as well let the Education Dept give it a try.  ?

Whoops typo...I meant: "Can't" get the police to enforce most laws here; might as well let the Education Dept give it a try.

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

Whoops typo...I meant: "Can't" get the police to enforce most laws here; might as well let the Education Dept give it a try.

20 hours ago, harrry said:

My point is that android boxes are supposedly unavailable and illegal to sell in Thai shops  for the last month or so. Now we all know that " Advice " is a large retailer of IT etc so I have to believe them  ( not too concerned if the enforcer is NBTC or not ) .

You say plenty available on Lazada which is correct but I did notice that none were resourced from Thailand , so what is the point in a partial ban .  Sorry , I am applying western logic again .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, superal said:

You say plenty available on Lazada which is correct but I did notice that none were resourced from Thailand , so what is the point in a partial ban . 

Loads on Lazada sourced from Thailand.

This one, for example.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1-dual-wifigadgets-guru-2018-216gbs905x-quad-core604ktx5-pro-android-tv-box-h265-hdmi-remote-adapter-aaa-4-i100101985-s100121312.html

They also sell two types in my local Big C (both rubbish). 

• Haha 1

Not illegal,but I believe you have to have a license for it,

as in a post somewhere,there was advice when importing

an Android box,not to declare it on the package ,but as

a mini pc,or customs will ask for import license.

I use my Windows mini Pc's for watching content,find

its easier to use ,and I have plenty stuff to view.

Will they be the next thing to be banned!

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

They sell fake SD cards.

I did not know this, but I take it from your message that you have been a victim of such fraud, if so did you report the fake card to Lazada. I believe Lazada will fine any third party selling on their site for such irregularities.

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

I did not know this, but I take it from your message that you have been a victim of such fraud, if so did you report the fake card to Lazada. I believe Lazada will fine any third party selling on their site for such irregularities.

A Kingston 32gb SD card for 70 baht? I asked some questions on this forum before I did buy, answers were, stay away, definitely fakes. Others have made the mistake and got their money back from Lazada. They are still selling them though.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Not illegal,but I believe you have to have a license for it,

as in a post somewhere,there was advice when importing

an Android box,not to declare it on the package ,but as

a mini pc,or customs will ask for import license.

I use my Windows mini Pc's for watching content,find

its easier to use ,and I have plenty stuff to view.

Will they be the next thing to be banned!

regards Worgeordie

So apparently not available from the high street retailers such as Advice , unless you know better ?  Maybe under the shelf ?   If this is the truth of a ban , what is the point ?  just harming the Thai retailers .  But as I said earlier it is ok to have a  "  Smart TV " ,       mind boggling 

Powerbuy has the aconatic 4K in stock. Surely if they were illegal, they would not be selling them.

://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/aconatic-กล่องแอนดรอยด์ทีวี-4k-aconatic-รุ่น-anstb295-อุปกรณ์เสริมทีวีและเครื่องเสียง-230401

PWB000230401.jpg

Terrarium rocks.  Show box not what it used to be. 

Redbox, swift stream, mobdro suffering a bit too. Or is it just crappy internet on my side? 

Kodi too much hassle for me.  I prefer installing a simple app and not having to worry about repository.

Leonflix executable good on Windows.  

Any other recommendations to put on box or pc

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

A Kingston 32gb SD card for 70 baht? I asked some questions on this forum before I did buy, answers were, stay away, definitely fakes. Others have made the mistake and got their money back from Lazada. They are still selling them though.

Just curious.

You're saying you asked for and got advice from TVF members that your purchase would be fake and you should stay away  (avoid) from it?

Is that  correct?

Just now, superal said:

Try reading my post  s l o w l y 

I did read your posts, maybe try to reread them yourself, S L O W L Y

The reply was  " no , they are now illegal to sell in Thailand as instructed by the department of Thai Education ,

and

You say plenty available on Lazada which is correct but I did notice that none were resourced from Thailand

and

My point is that android boxes are supposedly unavailable and illegal to sell in Thai shops

Did you notice in my screenshot that it says Androidbox THAILAND and BUY ON LAZADA, even in Thai language so the government will not be confused?

Maybe you could next go to your local hairdresser and ask for Android boxes, and then come here claiming they are not available anywhere.

FYI, Advice is a computer hardware shop, and tv boxes are not computer hardware. You will also not find them at JIB, but plenty available from other legal shops and Lazada inThailand

image.png.9e049abdc5820faec91c0b557e47a333.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

Just curious.

You're saying you asked for and got advice from TVF members that your purchase would be fake and you should stay away  (avoid) from it?

Is that  correct?

No. I asked if anyone had bought a cheap Kingston SD card from Lazada and was it any good. The answers said that they were rubbish, so I never bought. Understood?

Edited by giddyup