What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2021)

CharlieH

14 hours ago, Will27 said:

Lansky

Been looking forward to this one.
Out now on RARBG.

Summary: When the aging Meyer Lansky is investigated one last time by the Feds who suspect he has stashed away millions of dollars over half a century, the retired gangster spins a dizzying tale, revealing the untold truth about his life as the notorious boss of Murder Inc. and the National Crime Syndicate.

Just watched this, thought it was kinda …… meh !! IMHO

The story is a good one and I think it would have been more suited to a series, a lot of things happened over a long period of time , in a movie version the first half just seemed rushed. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2021 at 10:07 PM, giddyup said:

I feel the same way about any doco about the destruction of the Planet. Pretty obvious that world is being slowly destroyed and I'd rather not be reminded of it.

I often have to turn news items off or change channels because I get so angry at the insanity of the world nowadays.

17 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Not sure where to find this as I believe it’s only just been released but certainly looks like one to add to your “ watch list “.

Timothy Spall stars as Tom , a man in his 80’s, whose wife passes away and he decides to make one last journey from their home in John O’Groats to Lands End using only his free bus pass to deliver his wife’s ashes to where it all began.

His solitary journey turns him into a minor social media celebrity and……………….. well you will have to watch it for yourself ????

Movies like that make me sad, because I remember the actors as they were long ago, and watching them as old people makes me feel as if my end is near.

Seems that all my heroes are dead or dying.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 11:20 PM, LosLobo said:

During this period of COVID-19 and lots of spare time, I continually seek good worthwhile movies to watch.

I recently found a good way of finding them beside this forum of course.

I found some success by selecting say a good actor like Denzel Washington and then watching all his lesser known movies or the ones I had previously missed.

My latest is the talented and beautiful Keira Knightly, I first became aware of her in The Imitation Game and now have recently watched Atonement, Pride and Prejudice, Begin Again, The Duchess, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World and Official Secrets and have not been disappointed.

Maybe you have a good actor you can recommend.

If you haven't seen Bend it like Beckham you should. I think it was Keira's breakthrough movie to the big time- good movie too. Lots of great Sikh music on the soundtrack which is a plus.

I also enjoyed Begin Again and it has excellent music.

Keira proved that even a woman with small breasts can make it in movies.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 7:59 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

BTW, if anyone enjoys easy listening classical music, the Ghibli 25 years concert at the Budokan is on U Tube and well worth the time. A massive orchestra with a very large choir of hundreds played for 14,000 people. Joe Hisaishi really knows how to write a tune.

Just as an aside, my favourite piece in the concert is Bygone days, but when I watched Porco Rosso ( the movie it is in ) recently, it's just background music in a restaurant, and could be easily missed it's played so quietly. Sometimes the really good things in life are discovered by chance.

Along those lines, the movies I love the most are usually the ones that are not popular. I recently saw Finding You, and it's like that. Very nice romantic movie worth the time.

19 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Try this one:

Thanks again Andrew, and I watched this last night and in some respects it was harrowing, but what with all of the other Vietnam War movies over the years, nothing was much of a surprise, however what did surprise me was the bombing of Cambodia and Laos, as I've never seen it covered in detail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yup, unfortunately it's true.

My parents have gone, their friends & neighbours too.

The time of our departure is nearer now, but with luck we have some years left.

Leave the regrets, the hurt, & the mistakes we made, where they belong: In the past.

I'm sure you've seen:

A Wonderful Life with James Stewart...a lovely movie.

Of that era I also loved:

This Happy Breed with Celia Johnson & John Mills.

These people have had their time.

Now it is ours, to enjoy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Movies like that make me sad, because I remember the actors as they were long ago, and watching them as old people makes me feel as if my end is near.

Timothy Spall is actually only 64, either he had a good makeup artist or lived a hard life !!, I suspect the former.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Timothy Spall is actually only 64, either he had a good makeup artist or lived a hard life !!, I suspect the former.

Actually I hadn't seen Timothy Spall in a movie for many years, and the last one I saw him in, years ago, he was rather rotund, but he was in a movie about a year ago where he was very slim indeed, and I wondered if he had been ill, or was trying to look after his health by losing that weight.

Either way I always enjoy watching him and will get onto the "Last Bus" movie as soon as I can.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 6:20 PM, LosLobo said:

During this period of COVID-19 and lots of spare time, I continually seek good worthwhile movies to watch.

I found some success by selecting say a good actor like Denzel Washington and then watching all his lesser known movies or the ones I had previously missed.

My latest is the talented and beautiful Keira Knightly, I first became aware of her in The Imitation Game and now have recently watched Atonement, Pride and Prejudice, Begin Again, The Duchess, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World and Official Secrets and have not been disappointed.

Maybe you have a good actor you can recommend.

Misbehaviour (with Keira Knightley)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9148706/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_3

On 6/22/2021 at 7:45 AM, faraday said:

Is the UK version of Before we die available?

Not been able to locate it....????

I've tried recently, (last night), but although it first aired on 24/6 there do not appear to be any streams yet.

5 hours ago, samtam said:

I've been going through my "movies to keep' collection and watching some I've not seen for years.

Also been updating my copies with smaller filesize and subs if possible.

A couple of examples:-

Campbell's Kingdom (1957)

River of No Return (1954)

Loophole (1981)

Ice Cold in Alex (1958)

And many many others..............................