UPDATE - CCSA expresses concern that Thai health system may be overwhelmed as daily new COVID-19 infections rise to 4,528

webfact

Apisamai-CCSA-30521.jpg

CCSA Assistant Spokesperson Dr. Apisamai Srirangsan

New COVID-19 infections in Thailand reached 4,528 Sunday, including 1,902 cases in prisons, and 24 more deaths.

CCSA Assistant Spokesperson Dr. Apisamai Srirangsan expressed her concern over the increasing trend of new infections in Bangkok, its suburbs and in some provinces, saying that they may overwhelm the capability of the health system, unless the rising curve is flattened. She urged everyone to help in reducing the number of new infections.

Cumulative infections, since April 1st, have soared to 125,444, including 19,008 being treated in general hospitals and 29,043 in field hospitals. 1,209 are severe cases, including 389 who are on ventilators.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ccsa-expresses-concern-that-thai-health-system-may-be-overwhelmed-as-daily-new-covid-19-infections-rise-to-4528/

Logo-top-.png

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I find it hard to believe that Thailand can try to push itself as a hub of health care when it falls apart with less than say 3% of UK infections and 1% of UK deaths

That would be true if you take the overall statistics  including   the previous year where we had very few cases. Thake this new wave on it's own and the statistics change drastically Not much different when the UK or the US was going through .its first wave before the vaccine..   

8 minutes ago, skorp13 said:

Can't see why they are overwhelmed, they've only had a year to prepare for getting hit like many other countries. They also have plenty of successful models and science to follow but refuse to do so. Good thing none of them need to worry about re-election

To prepare for what? They thought they were going to escape mass infections like the other countries.

Remember when we used to speculate, why Thailand has so few cases, There even was a thread about it in this forum. Some thought that Thais were immune to covid 19.

So they were prepaying,

they were preparing to escape major infections and come out the other end smelling like roses. 

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I find it hard to believe that Thailand can try to push itself as a hub of health care when it falls apart with less than say 3% of UK infections and 1% of UK deaths

That's because people are in ICU's for  3, 4 weeks.

Nobody is prepared for this in any country.  Nobody.

• Like 1

Well today's total is 5485! And this is largely powered by infections outside the prison system which means it is really out of control. So I guess we all can see the trajectory is leading this country toward a major crisis which will put a stop to the Phuket Sandbox and any hopes of opening to tourism in this calendar year. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I am completely puzzled here, one particular statistic in yesterdays Newsletter says there are no people with the Chinese virus in my province in Central Thailand, but my wife says completely different, she starts going on about the people in the next town and adjoining villages of people she has heard of who do have the virus. I do believe what my wife says, who is responsible for all the lies about my province and others in Thailand which says there is nobody with the Virus?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Well I'm not worried at all. We've had dozens of expats in the forums telling us how magnificently Thailand has been handling the response. 

I'm sure there is no better place to be. 

Five to ten expats have reportedly died from the virus in Thailand...so yes, I'd say it's been a safe place to be. I bet the 600,000 Americans who have died during the pandemic would agree. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, brommers said:

Well today's total is 5485! And this is largely powered by infections outside the prison system which means it is really out of control. So I guess we all can see the trajectory is leading this country toward a major crisis which will put a stop to the Phuket Sandbox and any hopes of opening to tourism in this calendar year. 

Maybe in Bangkok...de minimus cases here in Phuket (3 yesterday).

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

4 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Well I'm not worried at all. We've had dozens of expats in the forums telling us how magnificently Thailand has been handling the response. 

I'm sure there is no better place to be. 

Would one of the be Rob Muir ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I am completely puzzled here, one particular statistic in yesterdays Newsletter says there are no people with the Chinese virus in my province in Central Thailand, but my wife says completely different, she starts going on about the people in the next town and adjoining villages of people she has heard of who do have the virus. I do believe what my wife says, who is responsible for all the lies about my province and others in Thailand which says there is nobody with the Virus?

Same in my province, Wife knows of 2 local (next village) cases where 2 families are now in home quarantine, one member sick enough to be taken to hospital.

Lots of advantages being rural, but quick vaccination is not one if them it would seem.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

It is not falling apart...it is just the stupid rule to hospitalize all covid cases, including the asymptomatic. If UK was hospitalizing them, the health care would certainly fall apart there.

• Like 1