Thailand reports 3,995 new COVID-19 cases, 42 more deaths

Jonathan Fairfield

2021-06-24T110919Z_1_LYNXNPEH5N0K7_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.jpeg

Reuters file photo

Thailand on Sunday reported 3,995 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 42 more deaths from the coronavirus epidemic.

45 of the cases were from prisons.

Official data shows that more than 85 percent of infections have been recorded since early April when the third wave of COVID-19 started, according to the Center for the COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).

Thailand has now reported a daily case tally above 3,000 for 11 consecutive days.

Bangkok still tops the list of regions with the highest number of new cases reported. The CCSA says most of the new cases are linked to  clusters found at construction sites and migrant workers camps.

On Friday, the government announced a one-month lockdown for construction worker camps in Bangkok and surrounding provinces as well as four southern provinces starting from Monday.

Late on Saturday, new restrictions were announced for Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon and Nakhon Pathom.

The restrictions, which start on Monday and have already been posted in the Royal Gazette, will see dining in restaurants and gatherings of more than 20 people prohibited. Malls are also required to close at  9pm.

As of Saturday, Thailand has administered 8.98 million vaccine doses, with 2.55 million people now fully vaccinated. 

206473669_4531625300216098_4041378217177454533_n.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Well folks I see we have hit the new normal as far as cases and deaths, not much more to expect until testing restars and beds become available.

Serious question. 

If they did want to ramp up testing, (I don't mean hospitals), I mean in the general population. Not clusters etc, but rather general random testing.....how is that actually done? 

Set up a testing station and rely on people turning up.? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

In Aus they are saying that Delta transmission in family settings is 100%.

Not sure if it's Oz (but I think so) .....they did a study of transmission of original covid virus with the new boy Delta and found that previously it was 'minutes' of close proximity with the original to just seconds with delta. 

No source, happy if someone can confirm or otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Well folks I see we have hit the new normal as far as cases and deaths, not much more to expect until testing restars and beds become available.

Let’s think about this for a moment.

if hospital beds are 100% full, then there can be no new hospital walk-in cases.  But, people do leave the hospital when they recover, so some beds are made available each day. We get that number in the reports. The problem is that the recovered number includes asymptomatic patients who were house in field hospitals for 14 days, so we don’t know how many beds in Covid wards in hospitals are made available each day.

so, we will still see new walk-in cases reported, even when hospitals claim 100% occupancy.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not sure if it's Oz (but I think so) .....they did a study of transmission of original covid virus with the new boy Delta and found that previously it was 'minutes' of close proximity with the original to just seconds with delta. 

No source, happy if someone can confirm or otherwise.

I have learned not to believe such reports until they become the medical consensus. We get lots of conflicting claims about Covid in the media.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Random testing going house to house or street to street would be what I could see, but outside of the cluster areas and the known locations.

Just cannot imagine that remotely possible. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Several of my Thai wife's friends have bought self test kits back from the UK to Thailand. They are available for free from pharmacies.

My insurance company in the US, and the lab they partner with for testing all blood work will also supply a home test kit free of charge.  Swab yourself, put it into a tube, seal it as instructed and mail back in the postage paid overnight mailer case they send with the test.  48 hours later you will get a call at your number with the results as well as an e-mail to your secured medical account.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Tell that to those who can't get a hospital bed in Bangkok and are suffering serious effects from covid

"We" means Thailand

EVERYDAY people are in panic mode!!!!  Everyday someone suffers, dies.......

I'm talking about the entire country.   We, everyone.

People are suffering right now in my city, yet my city is NOT in panic mode.

• Like 1