Thailand reports 6,166 new COVID-19 cases, 50 more deaths

webfact

COVID5.jpg

Reuters file photo

Thailand on Monday (July 5) reported 6,166 new COVID-19 cases and 50 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

● 6,082 new infections

● 84 prison / prison infections

Monday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 289,233 with 2,276 deaths.

(Total infections since April 1: 260,370)

The news comes as Chulabhorn Royal Academy Secretary-General, Professor Dr. Nithi Mahanonda, has proposed a reprioritisation of Thailand’s strategies to cope with the third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, which is rapidly spreading “far and wide” to the point that “we do not know who are infected among the people around us.”

asean_now_BB.jpg
-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-05

208491950_358038782481119_1937192541181613922_n.jpg

213133809_352581526380543_9136750121347874967_n.jpg
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

With recent comments on testing, does that mean that the daily reported positives will be consistently around the 6000 mark? 

Meaning not accurate indicator of what the real numbers are? 

If the positivity rate of 11% is correct then the number of tests can be calculated from the number of cases so 6000 case will equate to just under 55,000 tests.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Even if vaccinated then it takes time to work and usually requires two shots. Thailand counts someone vaccinated once the first jab has been done. That is not the true meaning of being vaccinated. 

I wonder if the vaccination status of those dying is published anywhere?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Even if vaccinated then it takes time to work and usually requires two shots. Thailand counts someone vaccinated once the first jab has been done. That is not the true meaning of being vaccinated. 

Nearly 15 million people — or more than one in 10 of those eligible in the United States — have missed their second dose of the coronavirus vaccine, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

People seem over confident with one shot I guess same is probably happening here add canceled due to lack of available vaccine.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

With recent comments on testing, does that mean that the daily reported positives will be consistently around the 6000 mark? 

Meaning not accurate indicator of what the real numbers are? 

If there is a cap on testing (for what ever reason) an increase in case numbers obviously indicates a rise in the infection rate so it is possible to see the situation if we get  at least 2 of these bits of info.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Nearly 15 million people — or more than one in 10 of those eligible in the United States — have missed their second dose of the coronavirus vaccine, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

People seem over confident with one shot I guess same is probably happening here add canceled due to lack of available vaccine.

One shot does not work well with the new variant.  There is a tremendous push here to get both doses and so far it's working well.  

You haven't even seen the effects in the hospitals from 6k per day.  Again, it will take 2 weeks to see it.  

Safe to say that the health care system in Thailand is going to crash in that you won't be getting much medical assistance for a while.  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, robblok said:

Seems around 6000 is the new normal, deaths higher too. I wonder if the deniers are now slowly starting to see things differently.

Lets hope that it stays around these numbers, though i think it might go up still. Especially with the delta variant. Deaths will be higher for sure as hospitals are already overflowing. There are stories of people on the streets waiting for beds. So all in all this level of infections is too high to cope with for a longer period.

I think the Deniers have all deserted this forum. 

It looks like 6,000 is the hard cap for new infections, due to limits on hospitals admitting new patients and test kits. Perhaps if new hospitals are constructed, the number of cases will rise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If there is a cap on testing (for what ever reason) an increase in case numbers obviously indicates a rise in the infection rate so it is possible to see the situation if we get  at least 2 of these bits of info.

Someone that's completely across it can advise.

My impression is that they will continue to actively test but only in affected areas. (Clusters). 

General testing (I think) has been put on slow burn.

Obviously walk-in cases will be tested but only to certain level. Perhaps if no beds available then sent away no test.

Can someone clear up my misunderstanding of current situation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Except that the 11% positivity rate is only for testing outside of hospitals, so it is more like 11% of 20,000 tests. 

Yes thats true, the 11%+ figure quoted does not include the hospital walk ins, the positivity figure for that will obviously be far higher as most who want testing have either been to a high risk area or have symptoms

• Like 1

Just now, wensiensheng said:

point that “we do not know who are infected among the people around us.”

When Did we ever know who are the infected among us?

It's incredible that we need to constantly re-iterate why we wear masks, why vaccines work, why you can get sick even after being vaccinated, etc. etc etc.  I still hear people freaking out because people are on planes who test positive despite testing negative pre flight.  We are literally 1.5 years into the pandemic.

Should there perhaps be a pre test to any message board so everyone is on the same page?