Mosquitoes ????

Kanada

While we’re all being as careful as we can to social distance etc. let’s not forget these guys….they aren’t big on distancing! 

I live in the country and while evenings are especially bad but they’re around all day unless the sun is hot and bright ???? 

We use smoke on some evenings when we want to bbq…I have no idea if those electric zappers are effective or not…maybe my next move!

Edited by Kanada
  • Like 2

I just use OFF!

It's a repellent that comes in an orange can with an aerosol spray.

We live in the country and regularly sit outside in the evening and if I use OFF! I'm rarely bothered by mosquitoes.

Edited by Dmaxdan

I think the only real fix if you want to sit outside at night is the Florida way - a big net. In respect of electric zappers with light. They will not attract mosquitoes but will kill endless other insects that are attracted by light. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

We have been using Portoti brand light/fan/trap type for last six months and after first week or so almost no mosquitos.  It is not cheap at 900 baht each but low priced versions we used were a fire danger as cheap plastic becomes open flame from overheating fans.  This is very well made and easy to clean and almost all victims are mosquitos.  Have on indoor and another outdoor and they work great - fresh kill outside down to a handful a night from hundreds when started, (almost none inside) so keeping population down also.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/portoti-pr-25mb-mosquito-pest-killer-i174536187-s358395528.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.559367631N7Ksv&search=1&freeshipping=1

that seller is out of stock, others over 2x more expensive.

the cheaper one for 840 looks very similar to yours and title and description is identical 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/portoti-pr-25mb-mosquito-pest-killer-i2446139267-s8486400578.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.22.11242510T69CT1&search=1&freeshipping=1

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

that seller is out of stock, others over 2x more expensive.

the cheaper one for 840 looks very similar to yours and title and description is identical 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/portoti-pr-25mb-mosquito-pest-killer-i2446139267-s8486400578.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.22.11242510T69CT1&search=1&freeshipping=1

Looks to be the same.  As usual there are always those trying to make the fast buck at double the price (and more) - often never selling anything but making it hard to find items with a normal search.

Oh Kanada..... mosquitos can be local - we are ok here... htough rice fields nearby and a big pond, we seem to have an equal amount of birds... do what you can and eliminate standing water and such - then hide. 

And hope it is just seasonal... 

A lotion available at big c and various outlets is a small bottle with 15 written on it, not the price but 45 baht and very effective and comes in various pleasant odours, if kept in the fridge can be cooling when applied.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Oh Kanada..... mosquitos can be local - we are ok here... htough rice fields nearby and a big pond, we seem to have an equal amount of birds... do what you can and eliminate standing water and such - then hide. 

And hope it is just seasonal... 

The Dengue mossi's are ones you have to be careful of,  not a good experience having when infected. 

• Thanks 1

You can have an operation (not cheap!) to become ethnically Thai after which the mosquitos will no longer bother you.

What I'm getting at, of course, is that, for example, I sit outside with my wife and she's got not a care in the world concerning the 'skeeters while I, on the other hand, actually, no, let me take that hand back, I need BOTH for swatting the buggers!

Edited by bamboozled

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The Dengue mossi's are ones you have to be careful of,  not a good experience having when infected. 

…..even less of a good experience with no hospital beds available ????

**** the dengue mossi’s should be made to wear little orange vests or something 

Edited by Kanada
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

You can have an operation (not cheap!) to become ethnically Thai after which the mosquitos will no longer bother you.

What I'm getting at, of course, is that, for example, I sit outside with my wife and she's got not a care in the world concerning the 'skeeters while I, on the other hand, actually, no, let me take that hand back, I need BOTH for swatting the buggers!

….I don’t think it’s a Thai thing…my wife is Thai and they get right after her too!

I grew up with them in Canada and there’s always those people they didn’t seem to bother as much for some reason!

• Like 1

Jeeeeez

Google search says there’s over 3000 different types of mosquitoes in the world…..436 species of mosquitoes currently known to occur in Thailand. 

Once again…orange vests for the “dengue mossie’s”

8 minutes ago, Kanada said:

….I don’t think it’s a Thai thing…my wife is Thai and they get right after her too!

I grew up with them in Canada and there’s always those people they didn’t seem to bother as much for some reason!

Alcoholics and diabetics, the bloods to rich for them.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

We have been using Portoti brand light/fan/trap type for last six months and after first week or so almost no mosquitos.  It is not cheap at 900 baht each but low priced versions we used were a fire danger as cheap plastic becomes open flame from overheating fans.  This is very well made and easy to clean and almost all victims are mosquitos.  Have on indoor and another outdoor and they work great - fresh kill outside down to a handful a night from hundreds when started, (almost none inside) so keeping population down also.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/portoti-pr-25mb-mosquito-pest-killer-i174536187-s358395528.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.559367631N7Ksv&search=1&freeshipping=1

I have bought two of those as well, absolutely does works well but has to be out of range of you.. if you put it in your room they would go to you and not the light most of the time.

definitely several hundreds of them by now.. the ants figured it out and they come and take them away too. haha

41 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I had Dengue already. I got it somewhere in Pattaya. Next time when I get a different Dengue type it might be deadly. The body thinks it is the type I had already and will fight with these antibodies. In the end it will not fight at all. I should take the next plane and move back to Europe. I know... 

5 minutes ago, kekalot said:

I have bought two of those as well, absolutely does works well but has to be out of range of you.. if you put it in your room they would go to you and not the light most of the time.

definitely several hundreds of them by now.. the ants figured it out and they come and take them away too. haha

No issue with ants as the trapped mosquitos dry out fast but the chichiks find it a great location to find fresh food at light area and one got too close when on - found dry body in fan blade - removed and fan worked fine again.

I will look at that device, thanks lopburi3.

These blighters are trying to spoil my sunset beers on my porch and were suceeding! On a bad night I would wake up with my back resembling taking part in a drive by shooting. This with a T shirt and a heavy shirt. Still no defence.

So, sounds ridiculous but a second pair of jogging trousers over my regulat trousers and a large handtowel as a middle layer between my t shirt and shirt so far does the trick.Ha!.

Wife does get bitten too but no real tchy red reaction as I get.

And Dengue is all over my village the last report 10 have it. I am more likely to get Dengue than Covid.

32 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

I had Dengue already. I got it somewhere in Pattaya. Next time when I get a different Dengue type it might be deadly. The body thinks it is the type I had already and will fight with these antibodies. In the end it will not fight at all. I should take the next plane and move back to Europe. I know... 

My wife was told I had been diagnosed with the worse dengue strain and lucky to have survived  because I survived the 2 lower strain wouldn't affect me much, but the thing is how long does your amunity to dengue last. 

Just now, Kwasaki said:

My wife was told I had been diagnosed with the worse dengue strain and lucky to have survived  because I survived the 2 lower strain wouldn't affect me much, but the thing is how long does your amunity to dengue last. 

There is no immunity if you get a different dengue strain. It will be not such a big problem if you had Dengue never before. On the Philippines they tested a vaccination with Dengvaxia. It was a desaster. 

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/features/dangvaxia-philippines/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kanada said:

…..even less of a good experience with no hospital beds available ????

**** the dengue mossi’s should be made to wear little orange vests or something 

They are the big ones with black and white legs. They re mostly active from morning, through-out the day to evening.

ms.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bbko said:

My Thai wife puts these incense type sticks out in the garden if/when we're out in the garden during the evening, 500 sticks/150b.

image0 (1).jpeg

image2.jpeg

I've tried those....but they don't seem to work unless you surround yourself with 10 of them and then it's hard to breathe. They don't work for flies BTW. 

1 hour ago, Kanada said:

Jeeeeez

Google search says there’s over 3000 different types of mosquitoes in the world…..436 species of mosquitoes currently known to occur in Thailand. 

That's true, but the vast, vast majority of those species are not human disease vectors.

As stated in the National Geographic article below:

There are more than 3,000 species of mosquitoes, but the members of three bear primary responsibility for the spread of human diseases.

Mosquitoes - National Geographic

• Like 1