Pipat: Thailand ready to vie for Chinese and other tourists as country reopens

webfact

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

They're trying to follow much richer countries with far higher vaccination covereage in opening up (e.g. Denmark. where 88% of people over the age of 18 and an astonishing 97% of the over-60's have received both shots). It's premature, many doctors don't even think the UK (with two-thirds of the population fully-vaccinated, compared with just one-third in Thailand)) should be fully reopening yet. Of course, everyone wants life to return to normal and to be able to go out for a beer, and for people working in the foreign tourism sector to get their jobs and livelihoods back, but they're going too far too fast. They simply don't have the breadth and depth of vaccine coverage, and this is likely to end in tears, I'm afraid.

this is true, and was always on the cards once the usa, and to some extent australia, talked about opening up on nov 1

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Add to that we have no idea when China will allow their citizens to travel.

It could be years away, or even many years from now. I wouldn't count on the Chinese doing anything at all any time soon.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

Wish them all the luck in opening up everything, the Thai people need the money. Unfortunately every other country that has opened up has seen a resurgence of covid waves, even those with high vaccination rates. I know this is TIT who miraculously seems to defy the trends, but I for-see an upturn in infections when they open with all the consequences of a low percentage of the population vaccinated. Put all the effort into getting people vaccinated, gradually open to your domestic market and then open up to international tourists.