Thai police in Omicron alert - crackdowns nationwide to stop spread of variant after PM's order

webfact

Just about 3 weeks ago, we had a new one, called IHU, coming from Africa, Cameroon and already in France

Today, we happily announce the birth of again a new one, we call it deltacron, coming from Cyprus

A mix between delta and omicron virus.

The ones we had before and maybe still there: 

Alpha (B.1.1.7)    
Beta (B.1.351)     
Gamma (P.1)     
Delta (B.1.617.2)    
AY.4.2*    454    
Mu (B.1.621)    
Lambda (C.37)    
Omikron (B.1.1.529)

NIce  live graph of how the world is doing now 

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

We are on a long way to get rit of covid and probably never will again.

Ha, reading the headline I thought 'this is it omicrazy with omichronic...they'll be road blocks, no mask shoot on sight instructions...' Then I read the OP and it says PM gives instruction that laws (Covid) must be enforced. What?????? I don't know whether to feel let down on my expectations or give a sigh of relief because I was let down on my expectations,????????????????

2 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Just about 3 weeks ago, we had a new one, called IHU, coming from Africa, Cameroon and already in France

Today, we happily announce the birth of again a new one, we call it deltacron, coming from Cyprus

Alpha (B.1.1.7)    
Beta (B.1.351)     
Gamma (P.1)     
Delta (B.1.617.2)    
AY.4.2*    454    
Mu (B.1.621)    
Lambda (C.37)    
Omikron (B.1.1.529)

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Thailand said they have full control.Thas why they open more and more sandboxes.The sad thing is that people dont understand that they migth be locked up in a hospitel or hospital.To be honest im really shocked how many stupid people who travel to thailand now.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Oblomov said:

Terrified of a wiry flu type virus with 99% recovery rate (We can all hope in vain for a similarly high recovery rate in so many of the other more serious medical conditions that will undoubtedly carry most of us off) yet unconcerned by poverty in the demographics that don't matter to the wealthy in power. Unconcerned by the young missing education and the hard working being ruined.

As you say, sad and insane.

I think what the govt's of the world want to stop is the overloading of hospitals that care for the covid patients.  Amazing that non-vaxx'ers are filling up the hospitals again.  Yeah I know vaccinated folks are being infected too with this variant but they aren't the majority of those seriously suffering and dying from the covid.  Some people can't get necessary care because the hospitals are full of the covid patients.  Doctors and nurses though vaccinated are now getting infected and have to leave work so those care givers are getting the worse of this - mostly due to those anti-vaxx'ers!  I have friends who are some of these care givers and I see their stories regularly, not just from the biased news media.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Isn't  it obvious  to the world that they left it open to make money at the busy season?  Isn't  it obvious to the world that its too late to attempt to put a finger in the damn?  The only thing that worked and showed that it worked,  was a strict lockdown.  This is an annual cycle now.  The local  business  say dont lock down, we need the money!  Almost, like they only want the money and not worry about people getting infected.   In fairness though 80% of cases in Thailand  are Delta, not many are fatal from the Omicron.    

Actually, it was a finger in the Dyke.

if you remember the story.

Big difference between a dam and a dyke. They work in the opposite way to each other!

7 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Isn't  it obvious  to the world that they left it open to make money at the busy season?  Isn't  it obvious to the world that its too late to attempt to put a finger in the damn?  The only thing that worked and showed that it worked,  was a strict lockdown.  This is an annual cycle now.  The local  business  say dont lock down, we need the money!  Almost, like they only want the money and not worry about people getting infected.   In fairness though 80% of cases in Thailand  are Delta, not many are fatal from the Omicron.    

Obvious to the world? No. I doubt the world thinks about Thailand  much. You refer to making money as though trying to re open, to kick start the economy  is an unusual  policy but its not. All nations are developing  strategies  to get economic  life going again. Thailand  is no exception but since April 2020 has been one of the strictest countries and one of the first to  close its borders. Its currently  like all nations battling to open up again.

Your idea of only 'them' wanting money at the expenses  of people's  health is quite perverse. One current  thought is that the economy  must be opened up for the physical  and material well being if the people and that we must learn to live with covid and restart our businesses rather than endlessly contain  evade or control covid.

The single most important contribution  to a nations health is a healthy  economy.

Regarding the distribution of Covid strains and variants I believe, based on international  scenarios, that Omicron is ascendant but I don't have your epidemiological expertise.

Edited by The Hammer2021

40 minutes ago, DumFarang said:

Absolutely unsustainable, as if the po pos are going to go around doing that every night to catch all those evil drinkers. They looked overwhelmed and nervous on the first night.

By the way, not only is K0v1d fake, viruses don't exist. Don't wear a mask. Breathe easy. Wash your hands and practice good hygiene.

You're welcome.

Viruses were discovered over 150 years ago and their links to disease proven beyond doubt.

The experiments by Martinus Beijerinck (1851-1931) and Dmitri Ivanovsky on the tobacco mosaic virus in the 1890s are generally thought of as the beginning of the science of virology.....

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

I think what the govt's of the world want to stop is the overloading of hospitals that care for the covid patients.  Amazing that non-vaxx'ers are filling up the hospitals again.  Yeah I know vaccinated folks are being infected too with this variant but they aren't the majority of those seriously suffering and dying from the covid.  Some people can't get necessary care because the hospitals are full of the covid patients.  Doctors and nurses though vaccinated are now getting infected and have to leave work so those care givers are getting the worse of this - mostly due to those anti-vaxx'ers!  I have friends who are some of these care givers and I see their stories regularly, not just from the biased news media.  

I have friends and family working in London and provincial hospitals so well aware of the pressures on staffing. The recovery rate for this virus is 99.6% and possibly higher with omicron so the 'seriously suffering and dying' are overwhelmingly of an advanced age, have co-morbidity factors or are clinically obese. Whilst vaccines are a useful tool, personal fitness and responsibility for one's own health must be paramount. 

Hospitals are not 'full of covid patients' but the increase obviously further burdens health services at times when annual crises occur, and in nations with high levels of obesity and ageing populations, the problems are compounded.

If the latest (and not the last) variant does leave in its wake, a level of similar natural protection that Delta left, then the high infection rates may make an actual herd immunity possible in the near future. 

By the time they 'tweaked' this vaccine, and I'm triple jabbed and not an anti-vaxxer, then produced it in the quantities required, distributed it, administered it... then we may be onto the next variant. So we should all hope this milder strain becomes the dominant strain and leaves behind good levels of natural anti-bodies. Research suggests a higher level of natural immunity is left in those that were healthy and unvaccinated, so whilst vaccines are critical for obvious reasons, the human body must be given the best chance possible and that is simple good personal choices in diet and exercise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Alpha (B.1.1.7)    
Beta (B.1.351)     
Gamma (P.1)     
Delta (B.1.617.2)    
AY.4.2*    454    
Mu (B.1.621)    
Lambda (C.37)    
Omikron (B.1.1.529)

And with each passing fused mutations, it all becomes less severe. 

Yet, the media/govt/scientific mafias aren't keeping up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oblomov said:

Terrified of a wiry flu type virus with 99% recovery rate (We can all hope in vain for a similarly high recovery rate in so many of the other more serious medical conditions that will undoubtedly carry most of us off) yet unconcerned by poverty in the demographics that don't matter to the wealthy in power. Unconcerned by the young missing education and the hard working being ruined.

An extra 800 million in poverty ww. Way to go with those rules and selling some shots.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

An extra 800 million in poverty ww. Way to go with those rules and selling some shots.

Is that the figure? 800 million more in poverty? Also the ruination of businesses and people that fund our societies - that is also a staggering figure. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oblomov said:

It does seem a bit pointless cracking down on violations of these rules now. If it's important now then it was important when the rules were first brought in and any increase due to failure to abide by those rules is as much the fault of the police and their lax attitude as those flouting those rules. Therefore you need a crackdown on those not following the rules but that can't be by the police as they are responsible as well so there also needs to be a crackdown on the police. I can't see that happening.

I don't have access to all the facts about the spread of Covid in different areas and situations so I can't comment with any confidence but the main issue would seem to be large crowds gathering in close proximity and showing a lack of responsibility due to over indulgence. This isn't just something that happens in Thailand. I can't say if this is causing great problems or not but if there are to be restrictions on activities there needs to be sound evidence for it given the effects you mention. In the case of negative economic effects the government can give help. Education is more difficult but still needs to be tackled.

As for the 99% recovery rate I think that's missing the point based on what I know of the situation in the UK and assuming similar consequences in Thailand. Regardless of whether it's mild flu, a bit of a cold or an ingrowing toenail people are ending up in hospital although thankfully it seems for less time. That increases the pressure on hospitals which is then made worse if some of those in hospital are medical staff. That also effects other patients some of whom may require life saving treatment which if not possible may cause more deaths or life changing consequences. Then there's the effect on other areas including education and social care. In the UK although there are still deaths and every one is important they are less than they were but it's the effect of large numbers of people taking up hospital beds and the loss of those people in the places that they work that's causing problems.

50 minutes ago, kimamey said:

It does seem a bit pointless cracking down on violations of these rules now. If it's important now then it was important when the rules were first brought in and any increase due to failure to abide by those rules is as much the fault of the police and their lax attitude as those flouting those rules. Therefore you need a crackdown on those not following the rules but that can't be by the police as they are responsible as well so there also needs to be a crackdown on the police. I can't see that happening.

I don't have access to all the facts about the spread of Covid in different areas and situations so I can't comment with any confidence but the main issue would seem to be large crowds gathering in close proximity and showing a lack of responsibility due to over indulgence. This isn't just something that happens in Thailand. I can't say if this is causing great problems or not but if there are to be restrictions on activities there needs to be sound evidence for it given the effects you mention. In the case of negative economic effects the government can give help. Education is more difficult but still needs to be tackled.

As for the 99% recovery rate I think that's missing the point based on what I know of the situation in the UK and assuming similar consequences in Thailand. Regardless of whether it's mild flu, a bit of a cold or an ingrowing toenail people are ending up in hospital although thankfully it seems for less time. That increases the pressure on hospitals which is then made worse if some of those in hospital are medical staff. That also effects other patients some of whom may require life saving treatment which if not possible may cause more deaths or life changing consequences. Then there's the effect on other areas including education and social care. In the UK although there are still deaths and every one is important they are less than they were but it's the effect of large numbers of people taking up hospital beds and the loss of those people in the places that they work that's causing problems.

The point you and many  miss is that so many suffer serious outcomes due to extremely foolish lifestyle choices - not just from this, but from almost every other condition. The 99.6% recovery rate is important and large numbers of those that died with covid as a contributing factor, had conplex comorbidity factors. This is not new. Health services globally have been under severe pressure with the rapidly worsening obesity crisis. 

You make some valid though obvious points but 'negative economic effects' rather callously diminishes the wholsale destruction of many millions of lives and livelihoods to a mere economic factor. It is not. And it will be blighting the younger and youngest generation for decades. 

Personal fitness and good diet, as well as hygiene. Social distancing. Masks in crowded indoor spaces - these measures harm nobody. But a panicked deconstruction of whole societies through state mandated disruption to education, work lives and other social services was insane and will be shown to be so as the deleterious effects become evident even to the lockdown zealots, no doubt sitting happily at home with a pension or other safely bestowed income.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gabe H Coud said:

not read all replies , but AFAIK, theres no requirement for restaurants or those masquerading to be so,  to "close" at 9pm

however, they must stop serving alcohol at 9pm

i know several places where regular drinkers will order 3 drinks for themselves at 20.55

I think most places will tell customers they have to order before 9 but can drink till 11.

That's the law so why not.