You still think you can live on less than 50k a month month

The Australia pension rate is approx 24,000 per annum for singles, I don't know where you got 50,000. even adding in the supplement would only be another couple of grand.

I am always amazed when this topic crops up, I am rent free so that helps, however I live on half my Australia pension and save the other half. I have to say I hardly ever drink, and I have recently stopped smoking. However I do eat out occasionally, apart from that, I cook for myself, always western food whether I eat in for out, so a little bit dearer than Thai food. I don't really do without anything and have everything I want, including a couple of holidays a year.  It seems to me a lot of folks simply waste money, or you want your cake and eat it too. Have a look at your lifestyles.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Presumably you have not observed the physical conditioning of modern professional golfers, they are athletes.

Golf is a metaphor for life. AFAIK it is the only game which relies on personal integrity in observing its rules.  It takes character, resolve, physical ability and mental toughness to win championships. Like life, one gets out of golf what one is prepared to put into it.

Quite obviously, you have never been in that position, which is why you feel free to disrespect it.

Let me ask you a question, if I may.

Using your best and most expensive wood, how far can you drive a standard Titleist Pro V1, at sea level, with 70 percent relative humidity, and temperature around 80 degrees F?

Second question:

Have you ever played at Augusta, or similar course?

Third question:

Have you ever competed in any PGA tours?

Fourth question:

When you say that you get out of golf what you put into golf, please be specific. 

How do you contribute to society as you play a round of golf?

What new insights do you gain from chipping, and chipping, and putting and putting?

I am sure that I am asking you questions no different than most golf widows might ask.

In fact, golfing is one of the greatest ways to waste time, known to the modern world.

One would think that, at the very least, golfers could be made to do something useful while walking from the first hole to the 18th hole, while stopping to get sloshed after finishing the 9th hole.

Golfing is sort of like croquet, but less fun, though more full of personal integrity.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

John Daley 2 majors. Hardly practised. Smoked and drank.

Sport is 90% ability 10% practise.

John Daly is an exception to the rule, still a bloater, much more common now to work out down the gym build muscle for longer drives. tour golfers practice all the time, no surprise they are good

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

John Daly is an exception to the rule, still a bloater, much more common now to work out down the gym build muscle for longer drives. tour golfers practice all the time, no surprise they are good

I went down to the practice range at the National in Melbourne about 15 years ago, before a morning round of golf. There was a lesser-known pro there practicing wedge play.

After the round and lunch, I went back to the range to straighten out an errant driver. The pro was still there, practicing wedges.

Two weeks later, he won a tournament on a nearby course.

John Daly is a freak of nature, no-one with his build has any right to be as flexible as he is.

Edited by Lacessit

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Nick Kyrios

Craig Stadler

Norman started age 17 was off scratch by 19.

90% talent.

I played for years with top juniors. The best one lead a major one year. He didnt practice more than anyone.

1 hour ago, JWRC said:

The Australia pension rate is approx 24,000 per annum for singles, I don't know where you got 50,000. even adding in the supplement would only be another couple of grand.

I am always amazed when this topic crops up, I am rent free so that helps, however I live on half my Australia pension and save the other half. I have to say I hardly ever drink, and I have recently stopped smoking. However I do eat out occasionally, apart from that, I cook for myself, always western food whether I eat in for out, so a little bit dearer than Thai food. I don't really do without anything and have everything I want, including a couple of holidays a year.  It seems to me a lot of folks simply waste money, or you want your cake and eat it too. Have a look at your lifestyles.

50k baht

On 7/20/2022 at 9:19 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe you should go out there and talk to Thais.

Or just talk to one of you regular massage girls.

Tell her you struggle with 50k per month. And maybe ask her how much she makes per month.

Maybe one of those girls will suggest to move in with you. She will manage to live with that money for both of you and still save some of it.

That's comparing apples and oranges. Most of us didn't come here to live like workers class Thais. 

5 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Nick Kyrios

Craig Stadler

Norman started age 17 was off scratch by 19.

90% talent.

I played for years with top juniors. The best one lead a major one year. He didnt practice more than anyone.

Tour pros will be practicing most days hitting hundreds of balls, Tiger Woods wasn't no.1 in the world for so long by just being talented. Lots of talented golfers don't make it big time because no work ethic, lazy

Average rent, utilities and the like: 20K down the drain already
Support for the wife: 15K down the drain more.
Support for the son / school: 15K down the drain more.
Visa and insurance: 5K down the drain more
Personal budget: 25K down the drain more
Other groceries and stuff or replacing things: 10K down the drain more

Total: ~90K a month excluding money to set aside, and this is not a luxury life either. Yeah maybe if you live a single life, mostly live sober and boring, you can do it with the mentioned 40-50K.

Not including a trip back home either, if doing that yearly, that alone is 10K a month average more already, in case I go alone and without the family.

IMHO a realistic budget in 2022 is at least 80K and average 100-120K comfortable.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Tour pros will be practicing most days hitting hundreds of balls, Tiger Woods wasn't no.1 in the world for so long by just being talented. Lots of talented golfers don't make it big time because no work ethic, lazy

I caddied for pros. 90% talent. If 100 blokes all hit 200 balls whats the difference? Talent.

You think Viv Richards practised more than Justin Langer?

Not retired, so still earning and currently living on 100k bht / month. But that is living in Bangkok and with wife and 3 kids. Biggest expense is school fees. I would say very comfortable lifestyle so if One person cannot manage on 50k/month then i think the wife and i are going to be well F@&ked living on that between us when i retire haha

5 minutes ago, sidgy said:

Not retired, so still earning and currently living on 100k bht / month. But that is living in Bangkok and with wife and 3 kids. Biggest expense is school fees. I would say very comfortable lifestyle so if One person cannot manage on 50k/month then i think the wife and i are going to be well F@&ked living on that between us when i retire haha

You would be <deleted> most likely, if considering inflation over time (10-20 years from now). Try and divide your 100K by 2 again and then also consider both have to do their own renting, cooking, transport and more. Looks entirely different.

Plus you might then want some company / entertainment once in a while too.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

That's comparing apples and oranges. Most of us didn't come here to live like workers class Thais. 

I compare his 50k with 10k for working class Thais.

He has 5 times as much money and it should be no problem to live with that money.

On the other hand if you buy 20 lady drinks in gogo-bars every night then you can spend over 100,000B per month just for those drinks.

As usual, there is a middle ground somewhere. And as usual it is up to each individual if accommodation, food, drinks, or whatever are where we spent most of our money. If we want to save money we have to decide where we are willing to have less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Let me ask you a question, if I may.

Using your best and most expensive wood, how far can you drive a standard Titleist Pro V1, at sea level, with 70 percent relative humidity, and temperature around 80 degrees F?

Second question:

Have you ever played at Augusta, or similar course?

Third question:

Have you ever competed in any PGA tours?

Fourth question:

When you say that you get out of golf what you put into golf, please be specific. 

How do you contribute to society as you play a round of golf?

What new insights do you gain from chipping, and chipping, and putting and putting?

I am sure that I am asking you questions no different than most golf widows might ask.

In fact, golfing is one of the greatest ways to waste time, known to the modern world.

One would think that, at the very least, golfers could be made to do something useful while walking from the first hole to the 18th hole, while stopping to get sloshed after finishing the 9th hole.

Golfing is sort of like croquet, but less fun, though more full of personal integrity.

First question: It depends on what age you are asking. I was long off the tee in my youth, now I can't hit it over a jam tin. Age 79, about 200 yards at best.

Second question: I have not played Augusta. I have played Pine Valley, Oakmont, La Cantera, St. Andrew's Old Course, Banff and Kananaskis in Canada, Millbrook in New Zealand. A host of great courses all over Australia.

Third question: No. I was eligible to turn professional in Australia. I did not, because I knew I was not good enough to be a touring pro.

Fourth question: I had my first gainful employment as a caddie at age 13. It provides employment for a host of people, administrators, bar staff, ground staff and caddies. The grass and trees suck up the carbon dioxide mankind generates. You'd create a lot of unemployment if you closed all the golf courses in Thailand.

What do I get out of golf? Enjoyment. Watching a well-flighted iron settle to a few feet from the pin, striping a drive to optimum position, judging a chip to either hole out or be given by an opponent. Even scrambling a par from a poor tee shot.

My current focus is on breaking my age. I have done it once. My role model is Legh Winser, who regularly broke his age in his nineties.

I take it you have never been in "the zone", when the combination of adrenalin and awareness means you know you are going to win in match or stroke play, no matter what any other competitor does. It's better than sex.

Speaking of which, a question for you. I have already observed people with an animus towards golf are usually incapable of playing it. Could it be your self-declared celibacy has the same origins?

P.S. My standard tipple after a round is tea or coffee.

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Laundry should be 40 baht from Otteri, it's actually hard to spend money here, i can only guess the big spenders are trying to impress women all the time

yes you are right its 40 baht from the machine, but you haven't included 

1. Sitting waiting to find an empty machine
  2. paying for washing power
  3. Loading dirty laundry into the machine 
  4. sitting and waiting for the wash to finish
  5. unloading the wet laundry
  6. drying the wet laundry
  7. ironing the laundry

Suddenly going to a laundry service shop isn't so bad 

21 hours ago, Hummin said:

And you didnt bother to buy her a machine? No wonder she is your x ????

She's my future X wife, so technically we're still married 

our washing machine is celebrating its 11 year, time for a new one 

10 minutes ago, bolt said:

She's my future X wife, so technically we're still married 

our washing machine is celebrating its 11 year, time for a new one 

Back in the days, it was much harder to let go of something that served its purpose well. Today it is just trow away and replace. What have we become? 

also in old days, good quality washing machines lasted at least 20 years

Of course quality things did cost alot more back then today, and I guess thats why we got more connected to them

Edited by Hummin

17 minutes ago, bolt said:

7. ironing the laundry

come on, ironing isn't necessary unless you're wearing chinos, powder 5 baht, hang up clothes to dry, some people find simple things difficult 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, bolt said:

7. ironing the laundry

There are plenty of coin launderettes around and theres usually always a machine available .

Washing powder ,works out about 5 Baht per wash .

If you have issues handling your own unclean clothes , maybe you need to wash them more often . 

Its not necessary to sit and wait for the wash to finish , just come back in one hour . 

This finished laundry has been spin dried , so its more damp than wet

Hang the washing on a washing line and its dry within a few hours .

No need to iron most clothes  as they dry unwrinkled 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sparktrader said:
7 hours ago, simon43 said:

AFAIK, it is not compulsory to use hooker services when you live in Pattaya ????

It is compulsory in Pattaya

I only use hooker services as it IS required, and I make sure I don't enjoy one bit of it!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

My common maintenance fees at my condo are half of that alone..... so no i could not live on 50K or would i want to try.

You assoc./ maint. fee is 25k a month ?