What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

16 hours ago, mikebell said:

Just posted this review on IMDb - How disappointing!  You wait years for a follow-up to the previous 6 series then come up with this pale imitation. A dramatic title cannot hide the paucity of plot.
Raylan is a great character yet hampered by a pale, insipid daughter. I note with satisfaction she is now being shipped away to let her dad get on with his real job of taking bad guys of the street.
How many times is the villain going to be interviewed & released to kill again?
I could just about cope with the accents in Harlan County but those of a number of Detroit characters defeat me. I will wait till it ends and download it with subtitles.

The daughter was bad enough, but once he started the affair with the overweight lawyer with the huge booty I gave it away.

• Haha 1

A little light comedy drama from the great Jack Rosenthal from ITV’s Saturday Night Theatre ( 200 episodes from 1969 to 1974 ) when British tv was about real life struggles.

In a very similar vein to Kes .

A lot of these comedy dramas available on YouTube, if this is something you would like to see more of check out The Chain and The Knowledge on YouTube ( adding Jack Rosenthal after the title ).

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The daughter was bad enough, but once he started the affair with the overweight lawyer with the huge booty I gave it away.

Yea, the daughter was OK, but the lawyer, that's a plot line that wasn't necessary, and seemed a bit too unrealistic.

Still watching though, as decent time killer, but that's it.  Other options are really limited.

Star Trek had another good episode (finally), ending as a cliffhanger ... till next season.   I see how they are setting up to continue, after Pike dies or out of commission.   Had James T already and now Scotty joining the cast. 

Wonder if they'll keep the title of the series, or as spin off.  Wise choice on the generic show title.

Edited by KhunLA

12 hours ago, bendejo said:

My over-30 self went back to university to study engineering in the 1980s.  The school I went to is known for its social conscience.  Over the six years I went there (some semesters were only part-time as I had to support myself) I had to sit through this three times (would have been 4 but I ducked one)  The Day After Trinity

I dubbed it The Passion of JRO.

Message received.  I have no intention of seeing this new movie.  Don't care for the lead actor either.

Thanks for the info Bendejo, but cannot find the doco, "The day after Trinity" anywhere..........anyone got any clues/info??

Edited by xylophone

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Thanks for the info Bendejo, but cannot find the doco, "The day after Trinity" anywhere..........anyone got any clues/info??

Two files kicking around

The.Day.After.Trinity.1981.CRIT.WEB-DL.AAC2.0.H.264-KUCHU.mkv

The.Day.After.Trinity.1981.REPACK.WEBRip.x264-TRINITY.mkv

11 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Two files kicking around

Thanks a lot, and am trying to download the second one you listed, right now. Cheers. Xylo

20 hours ago, xylophone said:

MVGroup has (several) of it...... that group got 9.3 rating for Doco's

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, recom273 said:

Two files kicking around

A big THANK YOU to those great posters who replied, and I very much appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I did manage to download one suggestion from @recom273and watched it last night, and it was very informative, and left me with conflicting thoughts, i.e. dropping two bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki was catastrophic and inhuman (some might say) however I consoled myself with the fact that the Japanese had committed some absolutely inhumane atrocities in their wartime activities.

I did visit the "Peace Park" in Nagasaki a few years back and the results of the bomb could be seen in photographs and relics in that park, and my thoughts were, "never again".

I believe JRO was treated unfairly during the McCarthy era, and sadly he died at a relatively young age.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A couple of oddities avaliable on youtube.

A Nazi propaganda movie that the Nazis deemed not Nazi enough to release.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Große_Freiheit_Nr._7

Ever wondered about the origin of the term Nancy boy?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nance

Video of theater production. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I downloaded the recent movie Inside Man. I thought it was a decent watch but looking at the IMDB rating now it is at a 5.6. I thought when I looked at the rating before downloading it it was around a 7.

Watch at your own risk.  If you watch if I would be interested to know what you think it rated.

1 hour ago, biervoormij said:

I downloaded the recent movie Inside Man. I thought it was a decent watch but looking at the IMDB rating now it is at a 5.6. I thought when I looked at the rating before downloading it it was around a 7.

Watch at your own risk.  If you watch if I would be interested to know what you think it rated.

Bit of a rip from Goodfellas with the narration.  Fails miserably in that aspect, along with not much suspense and too predictable.

If you ran out of things to watch, as I did, maybe OK for a time killer, but not much else.  5.6 is a bit generous.

I actually watched Star Trek 2009/2013, last night & tonight, 3rd/4th time, again, and still entertaining.  Though have watch either in years.  Third one/2016 didn't do much for me, so passing on re-watching that.  Looking forward to new one, next year.

Yea, completely out of things to watch, and only 4 series are out now that I watch.

• Thumbs Up 1

I recently watched "The terminal list".

Synopsis: some people conspire to do something bad to a Navy seal and he kills them all.

Everyone in this production did a decent job except the plot writers.

Predictable story, no unexpected plot twists, even more unimaginative than "The Night Agent".

Director must have thought "yeah, the viewers will love the numerous and repetitive flashbacks of family life that bring very little to the story".

After episode 4 or 5 I was just skipping these.

I felt sad that such a solid performance brought such a simplistic scenario onto the screen.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 9:42 PM, KhunLA said:

I actually watched Star Trek 2009/2013, last night & tonight, 3rd/4th time, again, and still entertaining.  Though have watch either in years.  Third one/2016 didn't do much for me, so passing on re-watching that.  Looking forward to new one, next year.

Watched #3, Star Trek Beyond last night, and actually decent.  1 & 2 better, but still 3 was quite good.

Didn't remember a damn thing about it, and now not even sure if I ever saw it before ????  Couple scenes were familiar, but could have easily saw them in a trailer, maybe read some bad reviews and gave it a pass back when.  Glad I gave it a watch.

On 8/22/2023 at 8:03 PM, biervoormij said:

I just watched this, it was definitely average and I would give it a 6.0 rating.

The best part was when Ten Years After kick in , unfortunately that’s in the last 5 minutes.

• Thumbs Up 1

We are traveling in Europe and had the opportunity to go to an open roof, summer movie theater  and see "Grand Turismo". 

Normally would not go to a movie like this  , don't even go to the movies much,, but  it was the only movie playing there and I did want to experience an open air movie theater. 

Watching a movie under a cool Mediterranean night shy was indeed a wonderful experience.

But to my surprise the movie was not bad at all. If one has the opportunity to see it , I highly recement it.  

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, sirineou said:

We are traveling in Europe and had the opportunity to go to an open roof, summer movie theater  and see "Grand Turismo". 

Normally would not go to a movie like this  , don't even go to the movies much,, but  it was the only movie playing there and I did want to experience an open air movie theater. 

Watching a movie under a cool Mediterranean night shy was indeed a wonderful experience.

But to my surprise the movie was not bad at all. If one has the opportunity to see it , I highly recement it.  

I loved the drive-inn movies in SoCal when I was a kid and in Orlando when I was a little older. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I loved the drive-inn movies in SoCal when I was a kid and in Orlando when I was a little older. 

Yea, I remember those days. Good times. 

unfortunately , up north real-estate has gotten so  expensive , most drivin movie theaters have closed down and the land developed.

I also have lived  in Palm Coast most of my adult tive, not to far  from Orlando. About 30 minutes north of Daytona.

We used to take RT40  from Ormond, to the Drive in in Ocala.

Have you been there?

It is still Open and guess what? I Just checked and guess what is playing there? Grand Tourism LOL 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Yea, I remember those days. Good times. 

unfortunately , up north real-estate has gotten so  expensive , most drivin movie theaters have closed down and the land developed.

I also have lived  in Palm Coast most of my adult tive, not to far  from Orlando. About 30 minutes north of Daytona.

We used to take RT40  from Ormond, to the Drive in in Ocala.

Have you been there?

It is still Open and guess what? I Just checked and guess what is playing there? Grand Tourism LOL 

Don't think I've ever been to the one in Ocala, we always went to the one way south on 441. I think it was ninety-nine cents a head. 

I traveled with a carnival and wintered in Florida from '78-'88. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

'Meg 2' is out, for brainless entertainment ????  

May want to watch first one 'Meg' if haven't yet.

Make that braindead ...

... y'all going want to give that one a pass. ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

Top Dog

Enjoying this one so far.
TPB

A mysterious disappearance makes two completely separate worlds collide, creating an extremely odd couple - the lawyer Emily and recently released convict Teddy.

Thanks @Will27. Downloading seasons 1 & 2 now from 1337x.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Season 2 has started for Invasion. I just binged watched season one and enjoyed it, a bit slow in places, but well acted mostly

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9737326/

Earth is visited by an alien species that threatens humanity's existence. Events unfold in real time through the eyes of five ordinary people across the globe as they struggle to make sense of the chaos unraveling around them.

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 14-20-24 Invasion (2021).png

• Thanks 2