Dilbert creator lashes out after papers pull his strip: 'Dicey situation'

Scott

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, I am not 

Do stop telling me what I know 

Let me tell you what I know .

I have never heard of that phrase before 

"Is it OK to be White"

Reading this story is the first time I have seen that phrase .

So, once again, all your guessing about my opinion and what you think that I know , is completely wrong .

Thank you. So it’s clear that you were posting in complete ignorance earlier. 
Now that you know of it’s origins, does that modify your opinion of the intention of the ‘poll’?

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, NextG said:

Thank you. So it’s clear that you were posting in complete ignorance earlier. 
Now that you know of it’s origins, does that modify your opinion of the intention of the ‘poll’?

I guess now we need a poll about how many people knew how that sentence is used by some people.

Maybe we can just summarize. Racists exist in every race. Some white people don't like black people and some black people don't like white people. But not all black people hate all white people and not all white people hate all black people. And of course not all people tell the truth.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess now we need a poll about how many people knew how that sentence is used by some people.

Maybe we can just summarize. Racists exist in every race. Some white people don't like black people and some black people don't like white people. But not all black people hate all white people and not all white people hate all black people. And of course not all people tell the truth.

This topic is with concern to ‘white supremacists’

The protagonist understood that he was foolish in making it a race issue, especially as, at least now, he understands that different sections of the public would view the question differently. 
For example, would you view the KKK in the same way that you do now, if you were a black person living in the USA? 
You treat them flippantly and suggest that their uniforms are comical. You assert that you knew nothing of the phrase nor it’s origin. What are the chances of a black person in the USA being of the same mindset?

Such a phrase would immediately bring a negative response from those affected. 

The poll added the word ‘statement’ as it is wholly relevant to the question. Some people understood exactly what it meant. I guess that is what they mean by ‘woke’. 
It’s troublemakers and fools who choose to deliberately distort and mock. 

Edited by NextG
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, James105 said:

It's ridiculous to associate a phrase as innocuous as "its okay to be white" with white supremacist groups and expect others to know this.   No-one outside of these groups or who doesn't follow lefty woke news that informs the wokies of the latest things to get offended over would have any idea of its association with such a minuscule group of people.    

Words that are not racist are still not racist no matter whose mouth they come out of.

I didn’t know it either. I only found out as I watched an interview with the protagonist. He admitted that people would understand the question differently. Which actually makes it worse. He knew he was stirring up trouble with results from a  ‘poll’ that was designed to mislead. 
That’s the difference. He knew and did it anyway. That is why he is being disavowed publicly. He should have known better. 

4 minutes ago, James105 said:

It's ridiculous to associate a phrase as innocuous as "its okay to be white" with white supremacist groups and expect others to know this.   No-one outside of these groups or who doesn't follow lefty woke news that informs the wokies of the latest things to get offended over would have any idea of its association with such a minuscule group of people.    

Words that are not racist are still not racist no matter whose mouth they come out of.

You underestimate people's knowledge of current affairs methinks.

Words that are racist are still racist no matter whose mouth they come out of.

• Confused 1

Its been in the media that its perceived as racist for years

Here's how 'It's OK to be white' made its way from internet trolls to a vote in our Senate

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-17/origins-of-its-ok-to-be-white-slogan-supremacists-united-states/10385716

It’s okay to be White: laundering White supremacy through a colorblind victimized White race-consciousness raising campaign

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/344010144_It's_okay_to_be_White_laundering_White_supremacy_through_a_colorblind_victimized_White_race-consciousness_raising_campaign

Perth city centre 'It's okay to be white' stickers condemned - BBC

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-50821872

'This Is Completely Wrong': Racist 'It's Okay to Be White 

https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/news/outrage-after-its-okay-to-be-white-sticker-planted-elementary-school/

"It's okay to be white" (IOTBW) is a slogan which originated as part of an organized alt-right trolling campaign on the website 4chan's discussion board /pol/ in 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_okay_to_be_white

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You underestimate people's knowledge of current affairs methinks.

Words that are racist are still racist no matter whose mouth they come out of.

The phrase "its okay to be white" is not racist in the same way that "its okay to be black" is not racist so I have no idea what point you are attempting to make.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, James105 said:

I personally could not care less how many links you provide from the easily offended on this as it makes no logical sense why this phrase is considered racist.  The phrase is innocuous and if the alternative version of "its okay to be black" is not considered offensive then it is literally impossible for me to consider that "its okay to be white" to be in any way offensive.   

But its not about you, Rasmussen Poll interviewed black people and it does offend them. Rasmussen would be well aware of that, hence the outcome of the poll

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems you know more about it than I know.

I read the article that he was "cancelled" and the reasoning why.

I looked up what he said and as far as I see he just told the truth.

Maybe there is more to it. But by now I know that just telling the truth about certain things is not allowed in woke America. 

And it seems questioning such situations and looking if maybe he was right is another thing which people better shouldn't do these days. Otherwise they will also be cancelled.

Who invented this stupid cancel culture and why do people participate in that crazy system? 

You are saying that he “told the truth”. 
Do you mind sharing what he said that you contend as the truth?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its been in the media that its perceived as racist for years

Here's how 'It's OK to be white' made its way from internet trolls to a vote in our Senate

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-17/origins-of-its-ok-to-be-white-slogan-supremacists-united-states/10385716

It’s okay to be White: laundering White supremacy through a colorblind victimized White race-consciousness raising campaign

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/344010144_It's_okay_to_be_White_laundering_White_supremacy_through_a_colorblind_victimized_White_race-consciousness_raising_campaign

Perth city centre 'It's okay to be white' stickers condemned - BBC

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-50821872

'This Is Completely Wrong': Racist 'It's Okay to Be White 

https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/news/outrage-after-its-okay-to-be-white-sticker-planted-elementary-school/

"It's okay to be white" (IOTBW) is a slogan which originated as part of an organized alt-right trolling campaign on the website 4chan's discussion board /pol/ in 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_okay_to_be_white

From the many links you posted , you make it appear that the slogan is a well known slogan which most people would be aware of , BUT all your links emit from a small internet group who stuck the words on posters in a few cities and the media covered those events .

The reports are all from about the same time , the same time that a few people posted the posters on various walls

Its not like its a well publicised slogan , just a small group of people posted the posters in a few places 

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

From the many links you posted , you make it appear that the slogan is a well known slogan which most people would be aware of , BUT all your links emit from a small internet group who stuck the words on posters in a few cities and the media covered those events .

The reports are all from about the same time , the same time that a few people posted the posters on various walls

Its not like its a well publicised slogan , just a small group of people posted the posters in a few places 

and??? Are you implying Rasmussen Poll was not aware of its offensiveness to some black people?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, James105 said:

I personally could not care less how many links you provide from the easily offended on this as it makes no logical sense why this phrase is considered racist.  The phrase is innocuous and if the alternative version of "its okay to be black" is not considered offensive then it is literally impossible for me to consider that "its okay to be white" to be in any way offensive.   

Doth protest too much ????

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_okay_to_be_white

It’s not an ‘innocuous phrase’. It’s a campaign. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

But its not about you, Rasmussen Poll interviewed black people and it does offend them. Rasmussen would be well aware of that, hence the outcome of the poll

I don't think that you are in a position to speak on behalf of the people who answered to the polling question or make an excuse for the results 

• Like 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

I don't think that you are in a position to speak on behalf of the people who answered to the polling question or make an excuse for the results 

Can you quote me where I am speaking on behalf of anybody other than the poll results or make excuses for the poll results?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

Sure is easy to simply call someone racist, because the person being called racist really has no way to prove otherwise. 

That's right, because it is the prerogative of the victims of racism to collectively determine what's racism. A very many blacks have determined that the phrase in question is racist.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, James105 said:

The phrase "its okay to be white" is not racist in the same way that "its okay to be black" is not racist so I have no idea what point you are attempting to make.   

The phrase "it's ok to be white" is born of the same resentment and self-pity that let to the phrase "all lives matter.". Often in this forum I see certain members making complaints about the unhappy lot of white people, particularly white males and how they're vilified. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Why would a Black person be offended by asking whether they were OK with White people ?

Why is it offensive ?

I would avoid baiting when those questions have already been covered in the last 5 pages if you care to read them

On 2/26/2023 at 8:35 PM, Jingthing said:

I was shocked years ago when he came out as a Trumpist.

But knowing that, his racism doesn't surprise in the slightest.

But he is definitely stupider than I thought to be public about it.

As far as canceling his strip I am neutral. I think that is basically a business decision of the media organs.

I got bored with his stuff years ago well before Trump but I do recognize that he is talented.

I loved Scott Adams' comics years back when I was working in an office not unlike the subject of his Dilbert cartoons. His blog was also pretty good and raising clever points. I read it daily.

His mind was very sharp.

And then, at some point, he started to derail, maybe ten years ago. At first some of the blog posts were coming across as odd, then some were outright daft - and he stopped writing them.

I remarked that since Ruzzia's attack on Ukraine some of his comics seemed to spread Ruzzian propaganda.

I suspect isolation and social media to be the cause of the apparent senility.

• Thanks 2