Modest drinker, no p4p, 60k month. Where can my friend afford live?

sidjameson

25 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

There are other things in life , not just females .

He may not want to have a girlfriend , he may not need a female to walk around holding his hand 

Did you read my comment?

Because I suggested it's a good idea to have a girlfriend who does the shopping and maybe after a while the farang learns from her.

Not necessary, but helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Because I suggested it's a good idea to have a girlfriend who does the shopping and maybe after a while the farang learns from her.

Not necessary, but helpful.

Not sure a TGF is the best idea right out of the blocks, at least until he gets the lay of the land.  The most eager of them eat noobs for breakfast, from the wallet out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

The dodgy agent (I've read here) will cost 20-40K/year.

Reasonable health insurance at 60 around $2K/year.

You should decide to which currency  you will refer and then stick to it…

Edited by NextG
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If he gets a fan room, eats cheap food no splurging with McDonald's, drinks cheap booze at his fan room, never travels or uses transportation, is not interested in any hobbies, goes without insurance,  masterbates instead of dating; he could truly be living the dream and live just about anywhere and would probably save money.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

If he gets a fan room, eats cheap food no splurging with McDonald's, drinks cheap booze at his fan room, never travels or uses transportation, is not interested in any hobbies, goes without insurance,  masterbates instead of dating; he could truly be living the dream and live just about anywhere and would probably save money.

That is a sticky rice balls existence , which is about 15 K Baht per month, rather than 60 K

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, NoDisplayName said:

In country daily expenses would be quoted in "bath."

Expat foreign insurance would be quoted in currency in which purchased in which.

*Baht and if you even believed in what you wrote about, you could have simply expressed the figure in local currency. 
What use is $ to someone whose local currency is something different. 
The income is quoted in Baht and expenses will be in Baht. 
Worse, you wrote neither Baht nor US$. You do know that there are Australians, Canadians, New Zealander’s etc who inhabit this board, don’t you? 
So at least decide on the currency in which you will quote. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Frivolous crap like health care.

On a somewhat related question, if a fellow was to choose the dodgy agent option instead of the 800K in the bank or 65K a month option, how much would that fellow have to put aside each month to pay that dodgy agent each year?

Edit:  My biggest concern would be that he'd end up one of the many guys who do great until their health requires attention.  And by that time, it's too late to go back home where he's probably entitled to some kind of NHS or Medicare.

Anyone who 'has to' use an agent, really shouldn't be living here.  Stay in home country with your healthcare safety net.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Anyone who 'has to' use an agent, really shouldn't be living here.  Stay in home country with your healthcare safety net.  

I agree.  But the reality is that there are more than a few guys on here using the dodgy agent route and I'm sure more will follow.  And a lot of long stay guys had to switch to that route when their loophole closed since 2014.  (monthly border bouncers, etc)   I don't advocate it (nor have I decided where to retire to).  I'm simply asking how much to budget if you choose that route.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"no p4p"

Does that mean no girlfriend of wife?

I think in general a reasonable Thai girlfriend helps to save money in Thailand. She will know where the market is, fruits of the season, and many such details.

Obviously a farang can learn such things. But it will take a long time and it will be a lot easier with a girlfriend together.

Yes, but then sex might raise its ugly head. Slippery slope thereafter. ( pun unintended )

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Frivolous crap like health care.

On a somewhat related question, if a fellow was to choose the dodgy agent option instead of the 800K in the bank or 65K a month option, how much would that fellow have to put aside each month to pay that dodgy agent each year?

Edit:  My biggest concern would be that he'd end up one of the many guys who do great until their health requires attention.  And by that time, it's too late to go back home where he's probably entitled to some kind of NHS or Medicare.

There are a lot of what ifs but if you prepare for all the possible bad outcomes you might find yourself ready to enjoy the glory years on your death bed. 

I spend more than 60k but could easily stay here on 45k  and have a good life.  Where you live is important  as well as tastes.  Preparing for the worst health outcomes is wise for you but might be out of his reach.  He can get decent insurance (high deductable -  5M coverage for  1-3k baht a month )  not a huge expense.

Edited by atpeace
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

I agree.  But the reality is that there are more than a few guys on here using the dodgy agent route and I'm sure more will follow.  And a lot of long stay guys had to switch to that route when their loophole closed since 2014.  (monthly border bouncers, etc)   I don't advocate it (nor have I decided where to retire to).  I'm simply asking how much to budget if you choose that route.

Yes, and I'm surprised AN allows that discussion of illegal/corrupt activity to even exist, as all it does is perpetuate the problem, and make the rest of us suffer, because of the few.

I'm sure some of the same people that complain about the police not doing their job, or the country's corruption issues, are some of the same that use agent, and not just for convenience.

Hypocrisy - the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 2