Thai's Cutting In Line

15 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Is this getting worse or am I just noticing it more?

Counted 3x so far today buying something or service oriented interactions where my transaction is already in process and someone (Thai) walks up, orders or requests while I'm standing there, and the person I'm with immediately serves them first and ignores me, sometimes with a drawn out conversation before they conclude, while I'm standing there waiting.

Is this disrespectful here in Thailand? I thought it was 🤷🏻‍♂️. Feels like a racist Thai first thing.

Remember: Thai Raak Thai

Discussion closed.

• Like 1

It happens to me in supermarkets etc, but on very rare occasions and only when someone has one or two items and pays cash.

What really makes my blood boil is when there's traffic queue on the road and people push in at the last minute. It happens all the time, as soon as traffic starts to back off, there they go down the emergency or blocked off lane.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

yes improved a lot now

This is what I have seen also - it used to be much more common but it is rare that I see something like this...

The other day, a fellow tried to get served past me - and he was greeted and acknowledged, but the server continued with me before taking care of him... 

Many years ago in the countryside, a little old Chinese lady entered the bank with a sheepish meek grin and an apple for the teller, who took care of her first - the teller, somewhat embarrassed and knowing it was wrong, explained to me that she is pretty non-fuctional and has been doing it this way all her life... the tellers now seem quite aware of this type of thing. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Counted 3x so far today buying something or service oriented interactions where my transaction is already in process and someone (Thai) walks up, orders or requests while I'm standing there, and the person I'm with immediately serves them first and ignores me, sometimes with a drawn out conversation before they conclude, while I'm standing there waiting.

Is this disrespectful here in Thailand? I thought it was 🤷🏻‍♂️. Feels like a racist Thai first thing.

in my experience this usually happens in tourist areas, when in province a lot less!

this is common practice at government hospitals. I don't mind too much as i have the option to use a private hospital.  However my blood pressure readings are a bit higher during my visits to the doctor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Thanks for the confirmation.

confirmation of what

this stems from the comment of a man being cut in front of who was the next customer but the cashier ignored and allowed someone to bud. 

3 minutes ago, stoner said:

confirmation of what

this stems from the comment of a man being cut in front of who was the next customer but the cashier ignored and allowed someone to bud. 

Confirmation you do not take responsibility for your actions. I was questioning the act of leaving goods taken from a freezer, and left to thaw, remember?

You may think that's OK if someone pushes in front of you. I regard it as vandalism.

Happened to me first time many years ago, and like most newbies I was shocked and just let it go. Then it happened again - so in the car I asked the wife 'what gives'. On the third occasion, I just walked out leaving everything as it was. I knew not to 'argue' as that could lead to 'problems' - so I just 'preacefully' walked out. That is how I deal with it - but it hasnt happened for a while - maybe I dont get out enough. 

• Haha 1

Used to happen to me, usually in the 7-11, now when I'm standing there and I see someone trying to jump ahead of me, I simply step even closer to the person in front of me, problem solved.

• Haha 2

I'm  going to give my perspective based on what I understand about Thai Culture and my behavioral psychology studies.

Some Thais if ordering drinks, food, etc will go to pay or order and unless the waiter or checkout person is talking with or checking out a customer's items a Thai person understand this worker to be Available.  

This is Thailand and things are done different even in different regions of Thailand.  The Sign to Order Here in multiple languages is Not used.  If you can get the workers attention and order the job is done. If you Queue or need to order stand as close to worker and try to get their attention.  do Not wait for the worker to finish and look at you unless the worker has acknowledged you and signaled to wait.

Additionally in Thailand we try to find a way to get along and live in Harmony.  If you start to order and a Thai standing near talks to indicate they were next, Zero problem, Sorry and order next.  Thailand is wonderful, most will not want to fight over a misunderstanding that is of low value.

It's just another manifestation of the utterly selfish attitude that makes drivers over- and under-take in inappropriate lanes, to the front of the traffic jam then push in, or double park outside the bank/hairdresser/coffee shop for half an hour, 10m from the traffiic lights and in sight of an empty parking space.

• Agree 1

I can't say this has really happened to me in the 10 years I have been living in Thailand. Or maybe it has, from time to time, and I haven't been fussed by it.

I do remember the odd monk cutting in the hospital line. Normally I'm watching like a hawk when waiting at the hospital/doctor/airport/gov't office etc., but, if anything, I might get pushed ahead in the line.

17 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I must say when I moved here it was a problem...in the bank, post office, 7/11 and so on. It seems to be very rare these days, I had the isolated example last week in True, but I can't say it is any sort of frequent problem. I should say I think that as you get older, with one foot in the grave, you get much tetchier about mundane things. There was a UK comedy show about this called One Foot in the Grave. 

16 hours ago, retarius said:

I yelled at one in True last week.The girl serving us who turned to serve him first after we had waited about 15 minute, nearly s**t herself. I told him to get a ticket like we did.

The pusher-in went very sheepish and we got served first. I shout in a very, VERY LOUD voice. 

Kiwis mate of mine yelled and carried on when,at a 7/11, a thai guy pushed in front of him at the checkout till.

He won that little battle  (after all he had beers to buy)......

BUT, outside the shop the war raged and he was beaten up by the Thai guy and his mates. (Common 3 on 1)

I think he learnt a lesson.

16 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

It does not really happen to me. 

A very few times that happened to me, the cashier would look at me first for a response ... so up to me to decide. More often I will ask a Thai behind me (and no one else) with one or two shopping items cut in when I have a cart full of items. It usually confuses them.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Kiwis mate of mine yelled and carried on when,at a 7/11, a thai guy pushed in front of him at the checkout till.

BUT, outside the shop the war raged and he was beaten up by the Thai guy and his mates. (Common 3 on 1)

I'm glad to say I have never been beaten up by Thais, or for aggressively beeping my horn or shouting in shops. But there is still time, until I die at least and it might save the problems of arranging a suicide.

Edited by retarius

23 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Right. And what happened when the police got there?