Is it safe to wear a Rolex around Bangkok??

Mekmong MICK

The very fact that the OP has to ask his question shows how ridiculous ownership of such items is. What's the point if you have to worry about wearing one?

Nobody in Thailand will be impressed by your watch - given that Bangkok is well known for fakes, you will almost certainly be safe as most people will just think you're one of the mugs that bought one.

From a personal point of view, I can't ever remember noticing if anyone is even wearing a watch, let alone one with a price tag that only a fool would pay. Its just not something I take notice of. Those who do notice are probably like minded fools.

To me, people who wear Rolex watches are much the same as those who wear massive gold chains or teenagers who drive around with their car windows open thinking everyone's impressed by their choice of music.

6 hours ago, marin said:

Also dont wear any brand name clothes or running shoes.

Ha ha. 100 years ago the big brands had to pay people to walk around with 'Sandwich Boards' hung over them to advertise their products. Now people PAY to wear clothes and footwear with massive logo's on them because of course, we are all impressed by their choices............not!

Edited by MangoKorat

4 hours ago, Mekmong MICK said:

It would take 6 month on your 40k per month salary to afford a single link on my watch.

And please do not resort to homophobic name calling, kindly remove yourself from my thread if you can't be civil

More jackanory stories...40k a link ?

Even a full gold Daytona bracelet is around £6k.

OP is obviously a wind-up merchant.

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Gormo_ said:

It’s best not to comment on things you obviously have no clue about 

You are another new poster?

One of the best wind-ups I have seen for a long time....

You simply have no idea!    LL is an expert on absolutely everything.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, G Rex said:

You are another new poster?

One of the best wind-ups I have seen for a long time....

You simply have no idea!    LL is an expert on absolutely everything.

There is literally nobody who knows more about this topic than me. I can’t say what I do for a living but read between the lines.

As I said, people in here need to stop playing experts as they look foolish. 

Honestly - you people who wear bling in public to satisfy advertising your status (or how in indebted you are) pretty much deserved to be mugged if it happens.  There - said it.  That's how safe.  While your at it, hang two or three ounces of gold around your neck and a diamond pinky ring like Mr. "I Borrowed The Watches From A Dead Friend" who probably got mugged while wearing his bling. 

As they say in Thailand - "Up to you!" 

As a Canadian Expat living in Phuket for the past 26yrs, I would advise you not wear it…..anywhere in T’land….!!!

While living and working in Abu Dhabi I bought myself a Sea Dweller 116600.
I needed a reliable watch in the cockpit, having had battery operated watches fail, inflight.

In Dubai and Abu Dhabi almost everyone has a Rolex. It’s not a big deal. My watch now lives in a Safe and kept as an investment, while I wear something less conspicuous.

A few years ago while wearing the watch here in Phuekt, a Thai Chinese friend noticed it and warned me, saying that I shouldn’t be wearing it. He then related a story about a foreigner having his Rolex forcibly removed from his wrist while having his dinner at a restaurant in Phuket.

Foreigners will assume that your watch is fake. The Thais can somehow notice the difference. 

Don’t give them the opportunity to take it from you. 
Leave it at home and enjoy your vacation…..

Edited by verticalift
Typo
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, verticalift said:

As a Canadian Expat living in Phuket for the past 26yrs, I would advise you not wear it…..anywhere in T’land….!!!

While living and working in Abu Dhabi I bought myself a Sea Dweller 116600. In Dubai and Abu Dhabi almost everyone has a Rolex. It’s not a big deal. Sadly it now lives in a Safe. 

While wearing the watch one day here in T’land, a Thai Chinese friend noticed it and warned me, saying that I shouldn’t be wearing it. He then related a story about a foreigner having his Rolex forcibly removed from his wrist while having his dinner at a restaurant in Phuket.

Foreigners will assume that your watch is fake. The Thais can somehow notice the difference. 

Don’t give them the opportunity to take it from you. 
Leave it at home and enjoy your vacation…..

Thanks friend, a great post and much appreciated