800 baht for a Residence Certificate at Immigration ??

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You will not renew a TDL with docs you mention these days.

Certainly was possible way back.

They require a COR

Similar chat to opening bank accounts. 

Nope.

I've purchased 3 motorcycles, 3 cars and changed my licences twice with just the yellow book and Thai ID.

Banks also accept a yellow TB as proof of address.

The exact purpose of obtaining a yellow house book and pink ID card is to integrate into Thai society and present the same documents as Thais do for certain procedures.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Why is the location so important to you ? 
The question is:

Did I overreact or what would you do in this situation ?

instead of reprimanding those of us who ask the question where, why dont you just answer.

50 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

honestly... they have your info, so you can expect anything. is it supposed to be free? yes

do most of us pay? yes

and as you can see, after you had a hissy fit cos i asked you where..., and i answered your question that most of us do pay.

if you cant share the location then dont expect anyone to follow in your example. and if your office is rogue and had jacked the price up it would be nice to know.

judging by your need for approval and your uncertainty you did the right thing i think you need to take chill pills when dealing with people.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

I used to pay THB 500 for two. They always came in twos for some reason. Then about two years ago I was refused at immigration. When asked why, I was told, "Boss say not do anymore."

I tried the local DMV and Tessaban without success, telling them that Immigration had refused to give me one, and that I need one to change name on  motorbike.

Went back to Immigration a few weeks ago to get one to renew my driving licence. I actually wanted three, but was told, "No. Only two per application." This time I was given two for free. No fee charged for the first time ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The location is irrelevant, my question was “ what would you have done in my situation ? “

Just said NO ... let me talk to your supervisor.

If failed, call the corruption office, and they would straighten it out.   Had similar issues in Udon Thani for short period.  The corruption office was right across the street at the time, as sorted out quickly, after more than a few complaints were received.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

instead of reprimanding those of us who ask the question where, why dont you just answer.

and as you can see, after you had a hissy fit cos i asked you where..., and i answered your question that most of us do pay.

if you cant share the location then dont expect anyone to follow in your example. and if your office is rogue and had jacked the price up it would be nice to know.

judging by your need for approval and your uncertainty you did the right thing i think you need to take chill pills when dealing with people.

Hissy fit appears to be coming from you and your obsession with location.

Not looking for approval at all , am asking did i do the right or wrong thing, will accept both answers 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Nope.

I've purchased 3 motorcycles, 3 cars and changed my licences twice with just the yellow book and Thai ID.

Banks also accept a yellow TB as proof of address.

The exact purpose of obtaining a yellow house book and pink ID card is to integrate into Thai society and present the same documents as Thais do for certain procedures.

Suggest you read up on the many recent  threads re requirements for renewing TDL.

28 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My thai partner an myself big fan of national parks.

Yes the old duel pricing. She Thai 40 baht me farang 200b.

Doesn't bother me one bit. 

It's not the amount of money, Jack, it's the principal I oppose.

Racial discrimination and corruption.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Suggest you read up on the many recent  threads re requirements for renewing TDL.

Just been to the local DLT with a friend and the wife to renew their licences last week

Blue book and ID card for the wife, yellow book and pink ID card for the friend.

4 short tests, in and out in 45 minutes.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Where

Thats the key point...   It seems Immigration offices and DLT's in different locations apply their own regulations differently - I'm sure this is not a surprise to any of use here.

I know that the DLT in Area 3 (Bangkok, Bang Chak) does accept the Yellow House Book for Driving licence renewal and car registration. 

I have also read on here that Chonburi, does not.

I have also read on here that the going rate for an 'instant service' CoR is 500 Baht or it takes about two weeks to receive in the post. 

So, while the Op doesn't want to tell us where - this information is often useful to a lot of us who may be about to go through this common request - I don't understand the reason not to tell where.

-------

It seems the Op was the victim of 'greed' inflation !!.. 

Edited by richard_smith237

7 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Yes, I just realised the reason I've never been asked for a new CofR is because I have that little yellow book and pink ID card, the one's that many claim are useless. 😉

Those who claim such documents to be useless are unable to get them or unwilling to put in the effort.

7 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Certain Embassies no longer issue proof of address.
In fact, just today reading some info on the British Embassy website, they accept a Certificate of residence from Immigration as proof of your address.

Your address is already on your existing licence, so why another CofR, unless you moved.

The US Embassy Bangkok consular section or US consulate never provided ”proof”, of anything.

For 50 bucks they stamped an attestation the applicant made before a Consular Officer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Yes, I just realised the reason I've never been asked for a new CofR is because I have that little yellow book and pink ID card, the one's that many claim are useless. 😉

a friend tried to obtain new 5 year licence using pink id and yellow house book, needed a CofR from immigration, maybe you were  just lucky

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

We all overreact sometimes. They are quite used to that and usually hold no grudge long time. You know, many people say that you should not take the <deleted>, but sometimes it´s better to just go with it. My advise for you, next time you need something. Like only the extension for one year. It´s 1900 baht. I always leave them 2k, and tell them to buy some donuts, like the US cops like. Just try it. I think they will understand, lighten up and give you a smile.

I actually gave a 100 baht tip on my last extension visit. It went so smoothly.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, mania said:

The need for the certificate is due to their laws so I would question that it is not their obligation 

In your situation I would have paid it & be done with it. After all it is at the end of the day less than $22 & will last you what 5 years till next license?

I use to buy mine at the US Consulate just because how much I hated doing anything at Imm  & it costs $50 back then don't know what it costs or if even available today etc

I understand not wanting to contribute to corruption but that pandoras box has long been open & the only way to close it is to leave the country

Have you set yourself up for future hassles? Who knows they fry so many fish daily it just depends on how the IO felt about it 

Good Luck going forward but I know you have been living in Thailand awhile now & know TIT corruption is wholly a part of that country & I see it stopping no time soon.

Very sensible response, and I fully agree. 

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I actually gave a 100 baht tip on my last extension visit. It went so smoothly.

Reading all the horror-stories from other Imm offices, my SiSaKet office truly deserves kudos. 

I need to remind myself, to bring some cake for the whole office as it's very likely that they would not accept money.

They are an extremely efficient and friendly bunch.  No need to fill in any forms for any service, they do that for you in their system and you are served in minutes.  Mind you: they are strict but correct (like they should be).  So no 'fees' or any other hanky-panky for the services they provide.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Reading all the horror-stories from other Imm offices, my SiSaKet office truly deserves kudos. 

I need to remind myself, to bring some cake for the whole office as it's very likely that they would not accept money.

They are an extremely efficient and friendly bunch.  No need to fill in any forms for any service, they do that for you in their system and you are served in minutes.  Mind you: they are strict but correct (like they should be).  So no 'fees' or any other hanky-panky for the services they provide.

I didn't tip the actual IO officer, I gave money to Civ lady doing the extra services like photos and copies and residence certs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lom said:

Q: How can the DLT know if you have moved or not?

A: By looking at the CofR that you provide them.

They don't, it's based on the proof of address you supply.

CofR is based on the address you registered with Immigration.

Yellow book and ID card is based on the address you registered with the Thai government + a Thai ID number.