What do you think about the Floating Markets?

Chris Daley

10 hours ago, Denim said:

There are touristy floating markets and real ones.

A real one is worth a visit but will be a long way out from Bangkok and you need your own transport unless you hire a taxi.

They are almost extinct now as Thais have gotten used to shopping malls but there are a few out there.

Are you speaking of Khlong Lat Mayom? Its only 15 minutes by car from BTS, I forgot the station and am too lazy to look. Great Thai getaway, hardly any farang, great grilled chicken and food.

Edited by Yagoda
  • Agree 1

There are many floating markets.

I found one with almost no farangs. Many Thai visitors and some Asian tourist. I like it, my girlfriend likes it, and we go there every couple of weeks on the weekend.

Sorry, I won't tell you which one it is, because I hope it stay like it is.

But here is a hint: Do your research. 😉 

• Agree 2

22 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Little unicorn toys, bracelets, princess Elsa outfits, low quality food, does this do it for you?

How about you?  How do you often visit the floating markets?

Only when I can't get out of it. 

For me it's like having a tree fall on your head.   After one tree has done it, you don't want to have any more trees fall on your head. 

Edited by radiochaser
  • Love It 1

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

What can you buy at a floating market which you can't get on-land?

Most are simply along a canal, and not actually floating.  Some have vendor on boats, but few do or few vendors.  Some tied up to serve, some floating by (more at tourist market).

Have never ordered anything off a boat, as hygiene issue, canal water splashed & the don't have running water.

There just another place to knock around and get a munch at.  Might find something unique to buy.  People watch from a perch, watch canal life float by.  Some fake for tourist, some very real everyday living.  We always enjoy getting out for a stroll and some Vit D.

11 minutes ago, maesariang said:

I only like markets with tables and chairs to sit down and eat. Most don't have that which makes food purchases uncomfortable.

Many, most I've been to have seating.   Timing is everything of course, as some do get busy.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

photos and an experience?

I have never been...

It is perfect for that!

I've spent a bit of time visiting both the tourist traps and the local markets and for photos ... it's the tourist traps every time. That's why they became tourist traps! It's interesting to see and experience.
Obviously, don't go there to shop for silks and silver, or even the week's vegetables. Expect to pay double for a plate of Khow Man Gai. So what? An extra 50฿?  If you've never seen it, go to that really big famous one 15k outside of Bangkok. It's a hoot!

I like to sit and watch the tourists having fun!

Thailand40aa8.jpg

Thail1.jpg

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, rwill said:

Damnoen Saduak is the worst one.

Probably correct, and Amphawa has to be 2nd worst, as canal part is so small, and actually dangerous to walk when crowded.   Though does have huge market surrounding it, that get's packed in.   Hence my earlier comment about timing is everything.

Best floating market is insider ICONSIAM Mall ... :coffee1:

Khlong Bang Luang Floating Market, is OK, but never been on weekend

Bang Phli Yai market is good, actually burnt down & rebuilt years back

Not sure if 100 Year market is still running, that way out of town, eastward.

The best one, canal at Krung Thep, I forget the name of, and Gtimeline is useless any more, since only accessible on the app, and it sucks now.

Oh well ... remember it was split by highway going overhead, where you had to duck a bit, to get on the other side of it.  Really good food, whole roast pigs, seating, drinks.  Easy parking.

Edited by KhunLA

11 hours ago, Denim said:

It is in temple grounds on the Ping River.

Sorry. It's the Tha Chin river, My bad. Been a long time since I went.

3 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Sex in a sampan?

Its been done. Used to be  sampans along the canal at Prathoo Nam a long long  time ago where ladies plied their trade in the oldest profession. No roads back then when Bangkok got its moniker ' Venice of the East '

I have a Thai friend who as a child was a novice monk at Wat Po. The abbot once took them to visit a monastry at Lam Look Ka ( now on the outskirts of Bangkok. ) The journey was done only on canals and it took them all day to get there with many changes of boat. Now a one hours journey by car ( traffic notwithstanding  ).

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Put on purely for tourists, over priced everything. Floating markets aimed at locals way out in the country ok but the touristy ones just a rip off

There is one beautiful and amazing floating market in Can THo south of Saigon Vietnam. While I am not into these things, I’d heard so much I went. Rented my boat , it was fantastic. It’s absolutely nothing like you see in Thailand. Absolutely huge, the boat trip is calming , the boat owner stops at a few tiny islands just off the market and you see how rice paper is made ( the best in Asia) all the Vietnamese noodles and some drinks. No one bothers you to buy, they are authentic home factories selling their wares world wide, the same makes I buy in France to make  News,  Bo Bun,  Pho, Wan Tan etc Everyone at the market is authentic , no rip offs, the only small cost is the boat and a bowl of Pho if you want one from the many Sanpans. Thoroughly enjoyed.