12 month bank statement

Been told by a friend who is on a retirement extension for a few years already, and has 800K in a bank which he doesn't touch, that this time he was requested a 12 month bank statement. This was in Jomtien.

Is this the new rule?

Just now, Old Croc said:

No.  It's been commonly required by Immigration since the money-in-bank rules changed several years ago.

You have to show that you have held the 800k and 400k in the bank for the required periods over the previous year.

This time he had to get the 12 month statement, not just show the bank book. He is on an extension a few years already, so knows the rules from previous years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

This time he had to get the 12 month statement, not just show the bank book. He is on an extension a few years already, so knows the rules from previous years.

Most IOs have required both for years. A bank book which can be updated periodically is generally not a reliable guide as to how much is held in an account at a given time. Surprised there was an office that hasn't required the statement.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, CallumWK said:

I have been required to show a 12 month bank statement at my local immigration office for three or four years now, including bank book and photocopies of all bank book pages.. Last time, the bank mistakenly gave me a 3 month statement, and I was sent away by the IO to go get the 12 month one.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Most IOs have required both for years. A bank book which can be updated periodically is generally not a reliable guide as to how much is held in an account at a given time. Surprised there was an office that hasn't required the statement.

Probably needs to be an overview of which offices do and don't require them. Either that or always get one just in case.  I was just at Chaengwattana for extension renewal yesterday, and they didn't require the statement, although I had it ready if they had asked.

• Agree 1

Has anyone using online banking with Bangkok Bank every ordered the 12 month statement off of their App? They will send it to you by email, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm wondering if Immigration will accept that in lieu of a statement from the bank with a bank signature on it. Also, how long does it take to get the statement by email. 

3 hours ago, CallumWK said:

Is this the new rule?

Previously for many years I only needed to provide bankbook and photocopies of pages. CW.

Last 2 extensions they wanted 12 month bank statement.

IO pointed to the fact that in one month there was no activity.

I use dedicated bank account for immigration.

I can understand issue with consolidated transactions however no entry in a particular month is a nonsense.

I understand from the replies in this thread that it is required by some IMO, and not by others.

Or in other words, as is always the case in Thailand, the guy behind the desk applies his own rules.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I've never had to provide any kind of bank statement. I just provide a letter from the bank showing the current balance and copies of  pages from my bank book for the last year, along with the actual bank book for inspection.

Guess you don't do extension in Bangkok. 🫠

• Thanks 1

12 month bank statement

They now require this nonsense  12 month statement for the term deposit  800 K  down here as well.   And they want a bank letter  stating that the funds have been in the bank for the 12 months .

It's a Term deposit  for Satans  Sake. The dates are in the book from when it Starts and When it's Finishes.

They want 3 things for the Same thing 12 month statement  Letter from the bank and copies of the Term Deposit book. 

Los ,   Land of Stupid

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Neither is a yearly print out. You could get the print out, go outside to the ATM and withdraw money taking the balance to below the minimum. I cant imagine why you would do that but in theory it would be possible.

• Agree 1

CM IO have always required this yearly statement but for me I understand since the Embassy stopped providing a lettrer of pension and at that time I went to the monthly 65K minimum for my yearly report, then needed the bank statement where I have my account for each monthly payment plus then a letter of the account for 12 months from the main office in BKK plus my day of extension status of account.  Easy enough to do and still easier than it used to be.  Good luck to all.

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

No.  It's been commonly required by Immigration since the money-in-bank rules changed several years ago.

You have to show that you have held the 800k and 400k in the bank for the required periods over the previous year.

Never been asked for a 12 month statement at CW, only bank book and bank letter. 

5 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Never been asked for a 12 month statement at CW, only bank book and bank letter. 

As I posted earlier... My bankbook showed no transactions in ONE month.

12 month bank statement demanded. CW

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

After more years than I can count, I have never been asked for bank statements. I did ask at the bank some years ago for a statement, but the bank teller insisted, statements were not necessary. I then had to explain the 12 month statement was for my benefit, not immigration.

9 minutes ago, Surasak said:

I did ask at the bank some years ago for a statement, but the bank teller insisted, statements were not necessary

A bank teller? 

He/she would know nothing about immigration.

A 12 month bank statement costs 200b and tell teller what to do with advice.

Thinking bank statement will become part of requirements 

6 hours ago, CallumWK said:

I have never been requested a 12 month statement in Jomtien, and I'm on my 15th extension. Just the usual 3 month and copy of all pages of the bank book for the last year

What is the úsual three month' ? 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

A bank teller? 

He/she would know nothing about immigration.

A 12 month bank statement costs 200b and tell teller what to do with advice.

Thinking bank statement will become part of requirements 

I used the term Bank Teller very loosely. I dont really remember the details so well as it was many years ago, possibly before you were around? And I might add, I clearly stated it was NOT for immigration, or did you miss that bit? If as you think, bank statements will become part of requirements, I will cross that bridge when I get to it, and not before.

5 minutes ago, Surasak said:

I clearly stated it was NOT for immigration, or did you miss that bit?

Not at all...

You quoted chap that posted this..

"It's been commonly required by Immigration since the money-in-bank rules changed several years ago" 

Why post if bank statement had nothing to do with extension at immigration.

17 hours ago, digger70 said:

12 month bank statement

They now require this nonsense  12 month statement for the term deposit  800 K  down here as well.   And they want a bank letter  stating that the funds have been in the bank for the 12 months .

It's a Term deposit  for Satans  Sake. The dates are in the book from when it Starts and When it's Finishes.

They want 3 things for the Same thing 12 month statement  Letter from the bank and copies of the Term Deposit book. 

Los ,   Land of Stupid

The bank letter shows the balance of the account at the time of writing, it doesn't detail timelines of balances.

Not everyone uses a term deposit which dictates the money stays in situ for a set period. I have only one account in Thailand through which all my transactions flow.

If properly maintained, a bank book can show balances and dates. Mine not so much.  I no longer have a local bank branch so at times I go from one extension to another without updating the book. When doing so, just for Immigration, the bank, on a couple of occasions, has just lumped all the year's transactions together in one line, making it impossible to interpret timelines. 

I consider these books to be an anachronism and would be happy if they were dispensed with. A bank statement is all that is needed for Immigration, and it would save a lot of photocopying of the book for no real purpose. 

Edited by Old Croc
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, Old Croc said:

As long as the bank book is updated regularly which I do mine once a month, rogue office in Jomtien has never asked for an official 12-month statement from the bank. Only copies from my book of the required 12 months.

16 hours ago, Surasak said:

After more years than I can count, I have never been asked for bank statements. I did ask at the bank some years ago for a statement, but the bank teller insisted, statements were not necessary. I then had to explain the 12 month statement was for my benefit, not immigration.

I find this answer strange as when I go to my bangkok bank in CM and talk to the manager about what I need for the immigration office there, he explains and shows me exactly - a statement from that branch of monthly payments from overseas accounts, a letter from the main bank in Bangrak for the 12 month period, plus I need to update my account on that date, then plus the IO insists on a copy of every page of my bank book.  Just saying that is what I have done for the past 5 years or so when they changed their policy about embassy letters and individual account only although up until then my wife and I had the account that I used for 15 years.  But even so, now doing the yearly in CM is much easier than it used to be but that is even out now as I changed to LTR visa.  Just saying, as it seems not only do the offices differ in requirements, each inidividual IO also has their own preferences.  Wonder how all this will be affected by the taxation changes?

48 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

The bank letter shows the balance of the account at the time of writing, it doesn't detail timelines of balances.

Not everyone uses a term deposit which dictates the money stays in situ for a set period. I have only one account in Thailand through which all my transactions flow.

If properly maintained, a bank book can show balances and dates. Mine not so much.  I no longer have a local bank branch so at times I go from one extension to another without updating the book. When doing so, just for Immigration, the bank, on a couple of occasions, has just lumped all the year's transactions together in one line, making it impossible to interpret timelines. 

I consider these books to be an anachronism and would be happy if they were dispensed with. A bank statement is all that is needed for Immigration, and it would save a lot of photocopying of the book for no real purpose. 

Agreed, my bank book usually shows a maximum of 6 transactions for the period of my previous extension even though I use monthly income method for immigration.

On requesting bank letter and book update for immigration,my bank provides copies of these transactions as well as the account details page.

For 100thb they provide a 12 month statement.

Immigration at CW have no problems with my passbook,for my new extension.

• Confused 1

My last extension in January my bank was talking about whether they needed to do a 12 month statement or just 3 months.  They choose just to do a 3 month statement.  I didn't say anything and decided to give it a go.  I didn't have any problems getting the extension.  (Ratchaburi)

4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

As long as the bank book is updated regularly which I do mine once a month, rogue office in Jomtien has never asked for an official 12-month statement from the bank. Only copies from my book of the required 12 months.

I did my extension renewal at Jomtien in June.  I use the income method. Since I didn't keep the passbook up to date, I obtained certified bank statements from which Bangkok Bank branch prepared the usual letter listing all foreign (FTT) deposits during the previous 12 months which in the past was all that was required.    

However, this time the IO wanted the certified copies of the bank statements in addition to the letter (I had those copies with me and gave them to him). He told me that next time, I needed to keep my passbook up to date so the statements would not be needed.   In addition, it is my understanding that if the passbook is kept up to date, the Bank branch will use that to prepare the letter without the need for bank statements.

Edited by soisanuk