British man, accused of drug dealing, arrested in Phuket

webfact

50 minutes ago, 2long said:

He has denied it, and we only have the name 'Ben.'

There's still a (very remote) chance that they've got the wrong guy. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Anyway, this reminds me of a Stephen Leather novel, based in Pattaya.

He presumably has a passport with his name in it, if not, why?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The arrest signifies a robust partnership between British and Thai law enforcement, highlighting their dedication to apprehending international fugitives, reported MGR Online.

Yep, I had the feeling that some posters here had gone rather silent..

• Thumbs Up 1

OMG, those perky Brits are involved in criminal activity again in Thailand? What a shame for Britain.

Stricter visa rules are required for entering Thailand from countries like Great Britain, United States, Russia, Ukraine, China, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Lithuania, Uzbekistan, Korea, Romania, Poland, etc.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

This is a very strange story!!

How did he leave the U.K. in the first instance?

How has he been allowed to compete in boxing matches? How was he under the radar, hundreds must have seen him boxing and he lived in a luxury villa?

I am waiting for part 2 of the story!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, sandrew33 said:

Class A + Dealing = life is the maximum penalty. 

IMG_5613.jpeg

Even though "life" is the maximum penalty, it still is very rare.

This guy must have been involved in some really heavy sh*t to get a life sentence handed down.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, sandrew33 said:

Class A + Dealing = life is the maximum penalty. 

IMG_5613.jpeg

Reading the article helps, he was sentenced to for his crimes in England. Nothing to do with Thai law:coffee1:

Edited by ujayujay

2 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

I Do not think I will ever understand why people who know they can be found and extradited back to their country to face severe criminal charges do not flee to countries that do not follow extradition laws. 

Why go to Thailand to pretend to be someone else and in hiding when you can go to a country that does not care about what you did in your country. Stupidity befalls stupidity so let him rot in

I Do not think I will ever understand why people who know they can be found and extradited back to their country to face severe criminal charges do not flee to countries that do not follow extradition laws. 

Why go to Thailand to pretend to be someone else and in hiding when you can go to a country that does not care about what you did in your country. Stupidity befalls stupidity so let him rot in prison now. 

Perhaps he was under the influence or been punched in the head too often.

Edited by Brave-Fart

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Where do you suggest, Afghanistan?

• Afghanistan;
  • Algeria;
  • Armenia;
  • Belarus;
  • Angola;
  • Azerbaijan;
  • Bahrain;
  • Benin;
  • Andorra;
  • Belgium;
  • Bhutan;
  • Cambodia;
  • Lebanon;
  • North Korea;
  • Somalia;
  • Burkina Faso;
  • Cabo Verde;
  • Djibouti;
  • Iraq;
  • Libya;
  • Syria;
  • Indonesia;
  • Japan;
  • China;
  • Pakistan;
  • United Arab Emirates;
  • and Vietnam. 

13 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

How about his full name?

It sounds like he was already deported/extradited?

Mr. Ben, a 28-year-old British national, a drug trafficking suspect in the UK who was arrested in Phuket Province, has been transferred to Suvarnabhumi Airport for interrogation and preparation for extradition back to the UK on September 2, 2024.... อ่านข่าวต้นฉบับได้ที่ : https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2024/09/02/british-fugitive-flees-uk-found-to-be-boxer-in-phuket-luxury/

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2024/09/02/british-fugitive-flees-uk-found-to-be-boxer-in-phuket-luxury/

No checked baggage I guess?

british-drug-dealer1.jpg

2 hours ago, luckymitchell said:

Not really living 'under the radar' if renting a luxury pool Villa and competing in boxing matches. 

I've not heard of a life sentence for selling drugs before either. Some misreporting there I would imagine

It can actually be a death sentence rather than a life sentence, but nowadays Thailand tends to commute to a life sentence. I believe that in places like Malaysia and Singapore one could receive the death penalty for as little as an ounce of illict drugs, 'possession with intent to supply' just because it's more than a certain amount, Anyone who deals drugs in this part of the world is incredibly stupid, they have a massive illicit drugs problem, and have triple the prison population of the UK, for a similar general population, this is disproportionately made up of drug-offenders.

• Confused 4

^ Oh that was him arriving HKT-BKK.

He'll have to be processed, legally extradited.

I wonder what the flight arrangements are for a chap who has pretty much everything to lose?

The only direct, non-stop flight is on TG, I think?

Do U.K. LEO fly with him, or Thai LEO?

Edited by bamnutsak

37 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

Even though "life" is the maximum penalty, it still is very rare.

This guy must have been involved in some really heavy sh*t to get a life sentence handed down.

Not really, in this part of the world. I believe that in places like Malaysia and Singapore one could receive the death penalty for as little as an ounce of illict drugs, 'possession with intent to supply' just because it's more than a certain amount.

You might have (really) just bought an ounce of Dadah (heroin) for personal use over a few weeks, but the amount would mean a mandatory death penalty for intent to supply.

• Confused 3

6 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

^ Oh that was him arriving HKT-BKK.

He'll have to be processed, legally extradited.

I wonder what the flight arrangements are for a chap who has pretty much everything to lose?

The only direct, non-stop flight is on TG, I think?

Do U.K. LEO fly with him, or Thai LEO?

Eva Air still do daily flights non-stop Bangkok to London, I was on it in March. Probably a nicer airline than Thai too. I haven't heard of non-stop flights Phuket-UK?

Edited by Andrew65
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, luckymitchell said:

I've not heard of a life sentence for selling drugs before either. Some misreporting there I would imagine

Spoton, UK laws are just as soft as p!ss weak Aussie law.

Next-level murderers don't even get life.

• Confused 1

Another Day Another arrest by the fine Law Enforcement here in Thailand.  I feel safer everyday reading another story about someone who has Not received the message that Thailand is Closed for Crime, especially by foreigners.

Always a good read when someone thinks they are smarter or better than a country with enough resources to eliminate about any size organization 

3 hours ago, luckymitchell said:

Not really living 'under the radar' if renting a luxury pool Villa and competing in boxing matches. 

So thats where the misreporting comes from, its not like AN to embellish a story for clicks..

That carry a life sentence, not he got a life sentence. 

Screenshot_20240903_090419_Brave.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

The Khao Sod article says "He had fled the country to escape drug charges that carry a life sentence", which makes a lot more sense than the claim that he had actually been convicted and given a life term.

Yeah, this is why having his name would allow us to understand the details of the case against him.

Was he even charged? And then released on bail? And then did a runner.

Or did he figure out he was about to be arrested - maybe others in his crew were being arrested or he got a tip-off - and did a runner.

• Agree 1

Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 6.47.28 AM.png

You have never been on the lamb which is a good thing.  Do you really think the countries above in 99% of cases regarding drug traffickers would have an issue extraditing that person.  North Korea might be a challenge but even then it would probably happen for a convicted drug dealer.   

7 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

The Khao Sod article says "He had fled the country to escape drug charges that carry a life sentence", which makes a lot more sense than the claim that he had actually been convicted and given a life term.

Once again, the crimes he committed were in the UK, not Thailand. 

The prisoner was taken by plane from Phuket to Bangkok, and the discussion was about which flight/airline had been used to transport him. It will be weeks or months before he can be sent back to the UK.

Ok, good points. I expect that the Thais strongly suspect that he would get involved in illicit drugs in Thailand, if he weren't already.

• Like 1