Real Estate Companies

dsmiththailand

Just now, Neeranam said:

For sure, I can imagine what Worthing is like now!

Have you thought of living in a place with a nice beach or are you new to Thailand?

You could get a place on Koh Chang for the same price. 

Had to book in advance for 3 months to get the VISA, came here completely ignorant of everything.

But it's got to be better than Worthing with all the pubs and restaurants closed + COVID lockin.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, newnative said:

I don't live in Pattaya solely for the beach.  My partner and I do, however, like to live in a beach town.  No, I don't swim in the ocean, don't sit on the beach, and I'm not actually on the beach all the time, either.   I like to walk the beach promenade, like an ocean and beach view, ocean breezes, watching the boat activity, sunsets on the water, and enjoy the coastal views. 

When we came to Thailand in 2010 we lived on the beach outside of Rayong.  That, however, felt too isolated and we ended up in Pattaya, which had more to offer us.  As I said earlier in this thread, we like the variety that Pattaya offers in lots of different areas to live.  We also like the wide variety of housing choices and projects available at all price points.   We've enjoyed living in different parts of Pattaya.  Good health care, good shopping, wide variety of restaurants, entertainment, good weather, a safe environment, and proximity to Bangkok are also pluses.  And, the nice group of expats living here--that's a real big plus.   

I also said in my earlier post that many posters on T-V seem to think that Pattaya consists only of Walking Street, Soi 6, and a few other bar areas.  I'm afraid you sort of fall into that category, as well, with your thinking--in this case that Pattaya only has what you feel is a bad beach on offer.   The beach has been improved recently--Jomtien beach is being done now--but there's a lot more to Pattaya than just the beaches.  

Thanks for explaining. I guess I should live there for a while before deciding to buy a house there or not. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

There is loads of places you can look for property dont forget all agents bump their prices up to cover commissions and usually they charge 1 month rent for their commission on a year contract,

Places like bahtsold and Facebook groups, this way you will most likely speak direct with the owners and maybe get a better deal for long term rent.

Good site ...but not all called themselve "owners " are really owners as so those "hiding real estate agents as owners "...can advert for free  so no advert pay...

be warned !!

Edited by david555

59 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm thinking of buying land on Koh Mak, where the beach is paradise. 

Do you know foreigners can not own land in Thailand ?

You can pay for it, but it's not in your name

that's how a lot of Thai girls end with a real estate\land heritage

(The most honest wait for the farang to be dead of natural causes

the others, well, you just have to read the news...)

Most are probably not in Pattaya for  "the beach" per say. Rarely do residents swim at the beach.

But, it is a general beach environment that I find attractive.  Haters will probably never like it but Pattaya beach is much improved. Many people enjoy a walk or a jog or just sitting in a beach chair.  Nice place to enjoy an evening watch the sun go down I think.  But, if people don't appreciate that then I guess they don't.  Sure beats staring at a fog of filthy air in Chiang Mai.

I actually would only use an agent for the process and not rent directly from an owner.  An agent will get the paperwork correctly completed and can be a good mediator if issues arise.  Also, be careful of fraud on some of these non agent sites reports of people renting properties they do not even own.

To add, I have dealt with Alan Bolton RE a few times and found them honest and efficient.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dsmiththailand said:

Also, any advice as to best location to live or avoid?

i recomand you to avoid the agents, it's the owner who pays the commission

(Usualy 1 month rent) but of course the owner put it in the rent, so in

fact you end paying for it. The best way is to rent something the first 2 months here

and do your own research without pressure when you are here.

The best opportunities are on internet sites like Bahtsold or Marketplace.

And of course the other way is the leg work, a lot of signs on the houses for rent

with a phone number.

One of the questions is what transport do you use? If you have your own

you can be almost everywhere, but if not be careful about the public transportation

and the cost. 

I don't know if it's really important for you but imo the 2 dogs is really a bad idea

a lot of the owners don't want big dogs in their property, and it's also a pain to deal with

for example almost everywhere there is a lot of street dogs here ready to attack you and your dogs when you go outside with them.

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

You live in Pattaya for the beach? Sorry, I don't understand that thinking, if affirmative. What exactly do you like about it? Do you swim in it or run along it or go surfing?

The last time I went there the beach was dirty and full of undesirables, Thai and foreign. I even got hassled for sitting on the beach and not giving some conman money and was propositioned by an ugly, old ladyboy!

I'm thinking of buying land on Koh Mak, where the beach is paradise. 

I would like some of the things in Pattaya, but certainly not the beach. 

Pattaya has more than one beach. There are no beachfront properties on Central Pattaya's beach; so I don't live there.

Once you arrive in the real world, you can take a look for yourself. 

Not unlike someone visiting Phuket/Samui, visiting only Patong/Chaweng and thinking they know all about the island.

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Most are probably not in Pattaya for  "the beach" per say. Rarely do residents swim at the beach.

But, it is a general beach environment that I find attractive.  Haters will probably never like it but Pattaya beach is much improved. Many people enjoy a walk or a jog or just sitting in a beach chair.  Nice place to enjoy an evening watch the sun go down I think.  But, if people don't appreciate that then I guess they don't.  Sure beats staring at a fog of filthy air in Chiang Mai.

I actually would only use an agent for the process and not rent directly from an owner.  An agent will get the paperwork correctly completed and can be a good mediator if issues arise.  Also, be careful of fraud on some of these non agent sites reports of people renting properties they do not even own.

To add, I have dealt with Alan Bolton RE a few times and found them honest and efficient.

So if i find a place just driving around town, what paperwork should the owner provide to prove that they owned the house they are trying to rent to me?

35 minutes ago, dsmiththailand said:

So if i find a place just driving around town, what paperwork should the owner provide to prove that they owned the house they are trying to rent to me?

The owner has a blue book wich is the ''ID card'' of the house

and his name is writed in this book, and it must match with the name on his ID

Before to rent for 1 year, i recomand you to be sure the owner has these documents and

is ready to cooperate with the immigration, as you need to register your adress here

(It's a requirment for the owner to declare you to immigration as the renter in his house

however in fact a lot of them don't bother to do it, so in fact you have to do it by yourself

if you don't do it the immigration could fine you few thousands bahts)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Pattaya has more than one beach.

I have always thought of it as one long beach, with Naklua Beaches (including Wong Amat) one way and Jomtien Beach the other. I suppose you could include Bali Hai, Cozy Beach and Dongtan. There are certainly choices not too distant from Central Pattaya.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dsmiththailand said:

Make sure he's registered for the TM-30

16 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Do you know foreigners can not own land in Thailand ?

You can pay for it, but it's not in your name

that's how a lot of Thai girls end with a real estate\land heritage

(The most honest wait for the farang to be dead of natural causes

the others, well, you just have to read the news...)

You can own land in a company.  Dodgy a bit.  But so far, works fine.  Many of us own our homes this way. With my company, wifey and her mother are the directors.  Easy peasy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

You can own land in a company.  Dodgy a bit.  But so far, works fine.  Many of us own our homes this way. With my company, wifey and her mother are the directors.  Easy peasy.

Yes, I have something similar, although I wonder if that defeats the objective!

18 hours ago, Pilotman said:

My advice, for what its worth, stay clear of Pattaya and Jomtien, unless  night life is a must for you, stay clear of agents, especially one man bands and there are a lot of them around just now.  Tour the area, and check up on signs on houses, deal direct with the owners. As a rule, owners don't like dogs.  Small ones maybe, but big ones, forget it.  My further advice, go no further east or west than Bang Saray.   The beaches in Ban Chang are <deleted> holes and controlled by the local mafia and the sea is polluted.  Steer clear I would say. Beware that some owners are still asking ridiculous and unrealistic prices for their rentals.  The market is flat and anyone asking say 20,000 pm, should be looking at a max of 15,000 pm for a 12 month contract. If you want to near the sea, you will pay a higher price and your choice will be very limited. 

Excellent advice.  Agents can be of use when you first get here, but the prices are more than if you just went around and looked at places on your own.  It takes more time, but you'll get a better price and see more options.  Perhaps just rent a place from an agent for a few months while you sus things out??? 

If you want a beautiful ocean view condo, just south of Jomtien, take a look at The Residences.  Or, Chomtalay next door.  Near to Jomtien, so you can get the baht bus, but south of the madness. Beautiful ocean front condos for rent for about 25k.  Great gym also.  No dogs.

https://goo.gl/maps/VKbyYi1bUrKUnd577

My friend owns in Chomtalay.  Penthouse suite.  He'll accept small dogs.  Great oceanview.  35k/month or so.

I've been here about 12 years.  We like the area south of Jomtien.  From Huay Yai road south.  Some OK beaches there and many possibilities for rentals.  On both sides of Sukhumvit.  Some interesting options near Sunset Park/Sunset Village.  Just before Bang Saray.  And lots of options in Bang Saray.

Bang Saray is getting pretty busy.  But probably the best beach in this area.  Still, it's just OK.  Not great.

Many of the places show on agents websites are no longer available.  But, it gives you a good idea of what's out there.

When you get here, let me know.  I'm more than happy to drive you around a bit if interested.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, I have something similar, although I wonder if that defeats the objective!

I bought the company, which owned the house.  It was a super easy transaction.  So, decided to leave it there in case we wanted to sell as it seems to make things easier.

Initially, the directors were employees of the company that set it up.  As you know, that was a problem a few years ago.  So, setup wifey and her mother.

After 20 years of marriage, if something happens, she can have it! LOL

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Of course the option to "buying land" is to arrange a 30 year lease (or less, depending on your age of course). Basically it's just renting for a long term and better security than monthly rental.

I'm not here (in Pattaya) for the beaches, or the girls. It's been probably 3 years since I was last in a "girlie" bar and 4 years since I was in a go-go (and then I was with my g/f and we were taking a couple (female) friends from "back home" on a tour).

(humming)
A long, long time ago
I can still remember.......... when my dad told me he wanted to retire someplace where the only time he saw "snow" was on a postcard and the only time he saw "ice" was when he was stirring it in his drink.

After spending most of my life in Canada (and in the Army) - that sounded pretty good to me too !
So l looked around for a place I could retire to, where it didn't snow and the only time you'd see ice was when it was in your drink. After doing some research, visiting some embassies (back in the days before the "internet" had much info), I decided Thailand was probably the best choice. 
(I'd also looked at Belize, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Laos, Cambodia, India, Nepal (brrr), the Philippines and a couple other countries.)

It wasn't about the bars and the girls. It was about being a place that looked like it was fairly stable, fairly cheap, had decent healthcare and transportation and - great weather ! Even in the monsoon season when it's pouring down like someone has a firehose over your head - it's still warm ! It doesn't drop 15-20(+) degrees every time it rains !
(Unlike Canada. For example, I went "home" at the end of June 2019 for a week. Nice summer weather with day time temps in the high 20s. One day, early afternoon it was 28. Then the clouds rolled in. An hour later it was raining. An hour later I looked and the temperature was down to 7 ! A 21 degree drop in less than 2 hours !)
No thanks !

I'm not a big "beach" person but if I was looking for a place near the ocean, I'd definitely look for something a little further away from the "Naklua-Bang Saray" area.

Sounds just like us!  We visited the same places before deciding on Thailand.  I'll never live anywhere it snows.  Never.  It does get a bit too hot here at times.  But with a pool, it's not too hard to put up with the heat. LOL.  Or, retreat to the house and just turn on the AC.  No biggie.

For years, we also traveled out of Thailand from mid-April to about July.  And sometimes from September to November or so to avoid the rains. 

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I've been thinking about moving to Pattaya but have always thought of it as a sex town. I am aware that there are probably nice areas these days. 

It is possible to live there and be totally away from the sexpats and prostitutes? 

sort of like moving to nyc though you dont kike skyscrapers..  

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I've been thinking about moving to Pattaya but have always thought of it as a sex town. I am aware that there are probably nice areas these days. 

It is possible to live there and be totally away from the sexpats and prostitutes? 

Define "sexpats" and "prostitutes".

Because, to some people, all expats are sexpats, even the ones with wives and children.

And, to some people, all women who work in a bar are "prostitutes" (especially the ones they've propositioned and been turned down by).

So, if you are trying to avoid encountering any expats and any bars that have women in them, you're pretty much out of luck.

However, it is easy to live in many parts of the city (on either side of the Suk) without any obligation whatsoever to interact with any "expats" or set foot in any bar if you so choose.

Some areas have fewer bars (the odd shophouse bar here and there or a small strip of bars you breeze past and hardly even notice) but you'll find expats all over the place. Even now with all the tourists (and a lot of the so called "genuine" tourists) gone, there are still hordes of expats in the city. As evidenced by the number at Immigration every single day.

Huay Yai would probably be the best option. Out around the Silver Lake area, but not too close to the touristy spots (Khao Chi Chan, Nong Nooch, etc).
Still close enough to only be a short trip to the big stores/malls, but far enough away that you won't encounter as much of the "undesirable"  element. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, OswaldBastable said:

I've rented an apartment there because the price was good, no large upfront payments required, and it has a swimming pool and gym. I also like walking on a beach, but don't really have any desire to swim in the sea.

I have zero interest in golf or women.

As a happily married guy of 15 years and have no intention of being unfaithful, it would be wrong to say I have zero interest in women. I like to sit and people watch, or should I say women watch, in Pattaya or anywhere else I may be.

I would never approach any girls, but I'm happy for them to approach me and have a conversation with them. Even when I make it obvious that I am not going to "go with" them, sometimes they stay and talk to me for a while. Maybe they think I'll change my mind.

• Like 2